Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Nuke Proof Electron pedals
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

Anyone got these pedals and used them for a while? I want some new pedals and been looking at these, SS Nano and Wellgo MG1. Price looks good at £32 from CRC but is it false economy?

Northwind

I didn’t like them much but other folks have had better experiences I think… The body’s a little convex so even with the pins screwed out to full length, my foot was still resting on the axle which felt weird and lost a lot of grip. (I think softer soles might sort that?)

organdonor
    Free Member

Dunno about the electrons, but I recently purchased some ‘neutrons’ from carboncycles.com THEY’RE ACE!!!! I went for the Mag/Ti (£87 but the equivalent NP is £145 at CRC) Very grippy (with my Vans), comfy, light and exactly the same as the NP ones.

They also do a basic alloy ‘neutron’ – similar price to Electrons (£33.79, NP equivalent is £50 at CRC) Concave platform, exactly the same shape as mine just a few g heavier. Definitely worth a look
    here (same as SS Nanos but £10 cheaper)

The Electron is cheap because it’s plastic, dunno if that matters?

nickswolves
    Free Member

I wear MP66 shoes so maybe the concave shape won’t do me any favours. I have DMR V8’s atm and they have been OK but what something with larger platform.

Northwind

The Nano/Neutron is a better pedal IMO, though a fair chunk heavier. From memory I think the MG1s are a bit bigger than a V8, they certainly feel it and have a lot more grip (I took pins out of my MG1s to calm the grip down!)

organdonor
    Free Member

The CONVEX shape will do you no favours, the CONCAVE shape will do you plenty.

nickswolves
    Free Member

organdonor – Member
    The CONVEX shape will do you no favours, the CONCAVE shape will do you plenty.

Yes, excuse my error there! Like idea of MG1’s being cheaper but Nano’s look better, maybe just have to bite the bullet hmm!

Northwind

MG1s and Nanos are all good pedals tbh, I use both and they’ve got their advantages and disadvantages but I’m really happy with them both. The Nano mag/tis are the only ones i have any real issues with, as I seem to come home from every second ride with less pins than I started with… But that’s OK.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got some electron pedals.

they are a weird shape – they feel horrible in ‘normal’ shoes (which for me means softish approach shoes), but fine when i’m wearing my AM41’s.

all things considered, i like them.

eshershore
    Free Member

went through 3 pairs of MG-1 in one season (got them super cheap), all died from the same problem

the bearing “flogging out” the pedal body bearing socket, and causing movement / clicking

my riding buddy had the same problem with his 2 pairs of MG-1 and ditched them for Electrons

I have been running Nukeproof Electrons since last Autumn and no issues to report yet, heavier than the MG-1 but a bigger / thinner platform, full spares available cheaply through Hotlines dealers

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve been using Electrons for a whole year. They’re still great. I think the plastic slides over stuff rather than digging in and being damaged. I agree with Northwind though, the convex shape means there’s not as much grip as the nano’s. It depends on how you ride if that’s going to be an issue or not. Both pedals have lasted up to a pretty full on season of biking over the last 12 months and I doubt I’ll have to do more than replace the pins on them.

If you’re interested:
    My reivew of the Nukeproof Electron pedal.
    My reivew of the Superstar nano through pin pedal.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I have some Wellgo B54s and they are nice and grippy.
    Not too pricey either currently at £30 at CRC

nickswolves
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all. Good read those reviews doug. Think I’m sold on the Nano Thru pins in green to match the green parts of my Boardman 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

A couple of my mates are running these on DH bikes, BMX etc and loving them if this helps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Nuke Proof Electron pedals’ is closed to new replies.