Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 263 total)
  • Nuclear Power, yay or nay
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OK zokes – but surely you accept that their has been much fudging of figures from the nuclear lobby in the past? I did accept that it wouldn't change the comparison tho and the order of magnitude will be right.

I have seen people from the nuclear industry and lobbyists claiming nuclear is carbon neutral which clearly is nonsense.

Decommissioning costs will always have to be an estimate as no one has done one yet.

porterclough
    Free Member

I have seen people from the nuclear industry and lobbyists claiming nuclear is carbon neutral which clearly is nonsense.

On the basis of including construction and removal, wind farms or tidal barriers aren't carbon neutral either.

aracer
    Free Member

Just to come back to where I joined in, TJ's original claim was:

the two nukes in Scotland are running at around 40% of capacity and this fluctuates greatly.

Thought it worth checking the data to see where that came from
    Torness
    Hunterston
    SO it would seem the 40% is by cherry picking the 2007 figures for Hunterston or 2002 for Torness. Hardly typical. Remind me who it is fudging figures?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

So, to guarantee 10GW of electricity production at 3pm on a given sunday, you need a huge overproduction capacity – you can only guarantee that one of your tidal power facilities will be running at max capacity – one may well be at zero capacity (slack tide), and another at sub optimal capacity,

The fact that tidal power varies with the tides probably won't come as a surprise to many people Z11.

But guess what, the people who build them do take that into account when they work out the cost/benefit of a particular installation. They don't sell them on the basis that they will produce a constant output then act all surprised at low tide. However, they will produce a fairly predictable output, which is a good thing if you're involved in balancing the overall electricity supply.

alex222
    Free Member

Basicaly what I've learn't from this thread is that we're all going to die no matter what, so lets just wreck the place up before we go.

I know this is a pretty deplorable thing to say but if the world goes to war in 50 years over oil and the all the reactors blow up followed by prolonged nuclear holocaust and then the climate change comes into play then we're all doomed any way, I won't see my 80th birthday and if not I want to say at least I did get involved in some apocolyptic antics before I died.

The world is already over populated and energy demands are going to go up so theres not much we can do to stop it.

Nuke the French first, followed by the Yanks.

zokes
    Free Member

OK zokes – but surely you accept that their has been much fudging of figures from the nuclear lobby in the past?

Yes, I certainly accept it. In particular it makes discussions like this somewhat difficult at times, as has been shown today.

I agree – absolutely nonsense. But no worse than oil lobbyists, or biofuel lobbyists – or most other 'ists', for that matter. The key is to remain open-minded

Decommissioning costs will always have to be an estimate as no one has done one yet.

Granted this is clearly a pro-nuclear source
    , but they refer to IAEA stats. It appears that some have…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

zokes – Member

"I love the idea of a huge fusion reactor telling us that Nuclear power is bad."

Exactly. The only huge fusion reactor which should be supplying us with energy, should be kept 90 million miles away.

Not next to a city.

Epic FAIL.

Even wikipedia can reliably tell you the difference between fission and fusion, ernie…

"Epic" ? Hehe ….. well if I'm gonna fail, then I like to do it to nothing less than "epic" proportions 😀

But yeah……if you want to split atoms over this, fair enough…….change the the u for and i, and add an s 8)

But they are increasingly dependant on Russia for energy. Not very bright when it comes to energy security.

Fear of dependency on Russian gas has come up a few times, it's a fear which imo, is completely unfounded. It mostly stems from a dispute which Russia had with Ukraine. A dispute in which imo, Russia acted completely reasonable and Ukraine did not. Back in the old days of the Soviet Union, Russia almost gave away their gas to Ukraine. In fact the stuff was so plentiful, and because central heating tended to be 'district based', often the most common way of regulating the temperature in your home in winter was to open or close your windows.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union and the setting up of the Commonwealth of Independent States, Russia continued to supply Ukraine with gas at knock down prices well below the global price – in fact at a fraction of what it was getting for it from western countries. This arrangement worked OK, only obviously, it was if great benefit to Ukraine but of little benefit to Russia.

Things however changed when the Ukrainians voted out a pro-Russian government, and elected an anti-Russian government – in fact the party of the rather gorgeous Yulia Tymoshenko, stood on a specific "anti-Russian" platform. They then proceeded to tell the Russians to piss off because their new friends were the Americans and they wanted to have nothing more to do with Russia. The Russians understandably said OK, but now you are going to have to pay much closer to the global price for your gas. The Ukrainians refused point blank – despite the fact that the price hike still meant that they would be paying below global prices. So as a consequence, Russia started to turn off the taps. Normal practice I believe – when customers refuse to pay their bills.

Of course the whole episode was exploited by the West, specially by the US, which still desperately wants Russia to be seen as the bogey man in a dangerous world. However imo, the West has nothing to fear from dependency on Russia, anymore than it has to fear dependency on any other country. Russia needs to sell it's gas, in the same way as other countries need to sell their oil, natural resources, etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aracer – nope – you don't have last years figures there which are worse from my memory – less than 25% last year.

The exact figures don't matter – its merely illustrative of the fact that the nukes we have now are less reliable than we were told they would be more expensive electricity with more pollution than we were promised.

Its a simple point. I was told in the 70s how wonderful the nukes would be and they turned out not to be as reliable or as cheap as promised. This leads me to be sceptical of promises of what they will do in the future.

If someone lies to you several times will you believe themn in future?

zokes
    Free Member

The exact figures don't matter – its merely illustrative of the fact that the nukes we have now are less reliable than we were told they would be more expensive electricity with more pollution than we were promised.

Its a simple point. I was told in the 70s how wonderful the nukes would be and they turned out not to be as reliable or as cheap as promised. This leads me to be sceptical of promises of what they will do in the future.

But we're talking fractions here. Those figures from sizewell demonstrated that a plant several generations old has cumulatively operated above 80% to date. Yet it has had to be shut down once or twice, both for routine maintenance and faults – most of the latter being at the non-nuclear generator side. These are the same faults that befall conventional power stations, except without the 'nuclear' word, they don't attract the same hysteria.

Compared to the theoretical maximum installed capacity (the figures you're using to do-down nuclear power), load factors of any renewable resource will be minuscule. Say we have an installed capacity of 30GW tidal power, no matter how clever you were at siting the lagoons and barrages throughout the country, their output as a percentage of theoretical maximum would be about 10GW. It has to be. Run at full power and you get the 30 GW, but all the water's gone and you have to wait for the next tide, generating 0GW. Run slowly to steadily release the water, you're still not getting 30GW, but 10GW all the time, instead of 30W for 1/3, and 0GW for 2/3, same results in the stats.

As for lies – lets see how well scotland does after you get independence eh? That could just be the biggest lie you've believed. It also might not be, but time will tell. Given how many lies all politicians are guilty of, I'd be very sceptical of believing that one…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Given how many lies all politicians are guilty of, I'd be very sceptical of believing that one…

That I can agree with without qualms

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

They don't sell them on the basis that they will produce a constant output then act all surprised at low tide. However, they will produce a fairly predictable output, which is a good thing if you're involved in balancing the overall electricity supply.

Yep, but that "balancing" needs a reliable and effective backup – which simply cannot be produced from "alternative" sources.

Zokes – if anything the figures would be lower than that – as you need to also factor in reserves, so if your generators at Bristol Channel go offline for some unknown unexpected just when they're needed reason, you have to be able to rank up generation at other sites to make up for the loss at very short notice.

At the moment, thats fairly easy as they push some more out of the nuclear reactors, which can respond quickly and keep some generation in reserve for just that reason, or use diesel generators which can kick in in minutes, giving time to warm up the backup coal fired stations.

Get rid of the nuke and fossil backups, and if the severn barrage goes down, we'll all be stood on the top of a nearby hill huffing and puffing to start the turbines going round again

Generating supply without an reliable backup is worthless.

zokes
    Free Member

At the moment, thats fairly easy as they push some more out of the nuclear reactors, which can respond quickly and keep some generation in reserve for just that reason, or use diesel generators which can kick in in minutes, giving time to warm up the backup coal fired stations.

Get rid of the nuke and fossil backups, and if the severn barrage goes down, we'll all be stood on the top of a nearby hill huffing and puffing to start the turbines going round again

Generating supply without an reliable backup is worthless.

Whilst I see you're backing me up, Nukes are the hardest to ramp up and down. That'll be the gas we're running out of that we need to do that. (Or maybe the pumped-storage plants like that in Llanberis)

Junkyard
    Free Member

so if your nucleur power plant goes offline for some unknown unexpected just when they're needed reason, you have to be able to rank up generation at other sites to make up for the loss at very short notice.

Whatever the power source if it fails something needs to kick in. No one is suggesting we just have the severn for all our needs but the tide is pretty secure. All your argumenst can be used against any power source breaking. I assume no one knows – as it is new technology- the reliability of tidal generation.

adam5555

HI,
    I work at Torness power station. Im no Nuclear physicist or anything just a general bod but working in the nuclear industry has given me a bit of a different insight ( i guess you may think a one sided view) of the dangers and how safe these things are. So I have a few views id like to add

Safety. Due to the unpredictability of humans nuclear safety fail safes render the chances of a nuclear disaster nil. If the control rods failed to drop fully into the reactor during a trip (virtually impossible and has never happened to the last few generations of reators) nitrogen is automatically injected into the reactor, this would absorb the neutrons and stop the chain reaction. If this fails and the reaction had not been controlled (time frame measured in minutes) boron beads are injected into the reactor which will absorb all the neutrons and stop the chain reaction. If this ever happened it would be final and the reactor would never be able to start again.
    Nuclear power stations have an extremely good environmental safety record especially when compared with other heavy industries. I always faied to understand the protesters at Hartlepool Power Station who would drive past the oil refineries and heavy industries of Middlesbrough, which over the years has polluted the ground with heavy metals and the air with various toxins in the pursuit of producing the plastics for toys, plastic bags etc.

Waste. Again im no expert on the issue, which has to be dealt with, but why is it supposed to be such a big insurmountable issue?

Waste is split into 3 levels low, intermediate and high. High level waste amounts to a fraction of the overall amount of waste and is the dangerous stuff (spent fuel etc). Intermediate waste. Well if you ever come across some take a few steps back or you may receive a dose of a few micro sieverts ( your only allowed 20,000 over a year to stay inside recommended safe levels) Low level waste,the vast majority, is fractionally above background levels.
    In the posts above the question of the fact that waste is dangerous for thousands of years keeps croping up, dangerous for who? Someone who wants to dig hundreds of meters underground to eat it? Waste is Soild state, liquid waste is mixed with concrete or molten glass to achieve this. Contain this in metal and store it underground. In my opinion this should be able to be accessed by humans so it can be monitored but this can easily be achieved.
    Who should pay for the waste? The people who make it. After the intial cost of building them the profits able to be reaped are massive (which is why the french are able to have cheap electricity). They (the french) are going to make alot of money out of us for building new stations so the costs of decommisioning, waste can be paid by them.

Nuclear is cast as some terrible bogey monster by the media but I think this has become a bit of a smoke screen for the renewable sector. The beutiful isle of Lewis came close to being completely covered in wind turbines only for the great distance the electricity had to be cabled to populations meant that 70 percent of the energy would have been lost. Massive power lines right through the centre of Scotland anyone? Bringing wave energy (Unproven) from northern Scotland to the central belt. Sounds inefficient to me.
    In an ideal world nuclear would not be needed but as a stop gap I believe it to be the best of current technology. Renewables still need a lot of development, 20-30 years with the best intentions and the costs of carbon capture makes it unlikely to ever be used mass market. Just because the government says that wave technology and carbon capture are the future doesnt make it a reality now. Someone actually has to invent it. Building coal power stations and saying they have to be retro fitted to capture 2% of the CO2 doesnt sound that great considering how much we need to cut our carbon by.

Just my tuppence worth anyway.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Zokes, the latest French plants are reckoning ramp up from 25% to 100% in 30 minutes – thats pretty darned quick compared with coal etc – though of course you're right to mention gas fired and hydro which I'd omitted.

zokes
    Free Member

So, following on from probably the most informed person on this subject yet to post, and IAEA stats, can we finally say that nukes are OK?

(And if not OK, at least necessary for the immediate future?)

From the data that's been shown it appears that nuclear power is actually remarkably reliable, even older plants. They have multiple safety devices to ensure Chernobyl can never be repeated, and even if the impossible were to happen, the loss of life would be minuscule in comparison to that if we carry on doing nothing to avert global warming. In addition, it appears they are a lot more low-carbon than most of us imagined…

Tomorrow's task then is to solve world peace!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zokes – nope. Not convinced for necessity at all. Nor by the safety thing. Nowt is safe from human error – even a nuke plant ( altho odds may be very low)

zokes
    Free Member

( altho odds may be very low)

I'll let you explain why the lights have gone out then shall I? Or perhaps you should apologise to the Bangladeshis for us and explain why we had to burn coal and flood their country rather than use uranium?

I know we don't *need* to do any of this, but one thing that's even more unlikely than a nuclear meltdown is us using less electricity, especially if we all start powering our cars by it one way or the other…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We don't "need" to use less energy – actually we do and its the cheapest easiest solution ( If I were in the dictator you would all be using less energy tomorrow)

We are just going to have to disagree on this one.

zokes
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn't quite clear – we do indeed need to use less energy – not disagreeing there.

However just how much less, especially if all transport is to be powered by electrically derived H2 or batteries? As has been noted already, we're currently both wasting it having this discussion. For that matter, STW is as I'm sure we don't *need* this website – it simply amuses us and feeds a few people. Where do you draw the line? I could argue that as I'm also working right now that perhaps I do need the PC, but not the speakers currently playing music?

For people to start making sacrifices much bigger than that (which is what's needed), there's more chance of a cold day in hell, or a very warm day in the vicinity of a nuclear reactor near you…

adam5555

I think stating that the risk of nuclear disasters as low is grossly overestimating the dangers. I find it strange that people are so blind to other industrial dangers which are so much greater but are so passionate about the dangers of nuclear because they have seen the simpsons. Can I ask do you have the same level of concern about the hundreds of tonnes of asbestos that are buried in landfill every year? what happens to that in 100 years? Would you rather live next to a nuclear power station or Bunsefield oil refinery?

Not convinced for necessity at all

We have to cut our carbon emmisions now. I cant see how building a coal power station in Ayrshire is going to do that and renewables great, but we really must invent them first.
    Electricity usage is only set to rise as we move away from hydrocarbons electric cars, trains, trams etc and the technology for more practical electric boils in the home is already coming through to replace gas

alex222
    Free Member

Yawn, how many times is this going to be recycled?

Energy demands go up. Load across the grid goes up more power stations have to be built. Can we supply enough energy by one method alone? Surely you have to live in cloud cookoo land to think that 60 million people can get all of their energy demands from the severn estury and 5 or 6 off shore wind farms at Scunthorpe.

I don't see what the issue with the dangers of nuclear power is. Its not like our oil or coal is ethically sourced. No ones yet pointed out the horible ends politicians will go to, to get these resources.

There are types of reators that actually generate fuel. Fast breeder reactors; also perhaps the risk of terrorist attacks would be greatly reduced if we stopped invading muslim countries rich in this sort of mineral wealth.

I think alot of this thread is absolute waffle, there are alot of people on a high horse who aren't looking at the bigger picture.

Is it ideal? What are we (the government) going to do about it? There has to be some middle ground and whilst nuclear isn't the only or the best answer at least it is an answer. If people keep going round in circles we will come to a point where we can't make or do anything we will be f-u-c-k-e-d. So decisive action must be taken even if it isn't the best action. A move in any direction is better than none surely.

No I'm not trolling and yes my grammer/spelling is shocking but. No I don't have the facts bt I think this has been done to death several times already.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It does amuse me the slating I am getting for my position. Its my opinion based on a significant amount of reading and thought and it is not a stupid position. I simply believe that alternatives to the nukes are plausible – a series of measures from increased efficiency to decreased consumption to increased renewables. its not pie in the sky of dreamworld.

Increased use of energy is not inevitable.

zokes
    Free Member

I simply believe that alternatives to the nukes are plausible – a series of measures from increased efficiency to decreased consumption to increased renewables. its not pie in the sky of dreamworld.

Increased use of energy is not inevitable.

Correct – increased use of energy is not inevitable. However, as the various blind governments of the world kid us that electric and H2 cars are the way forwards, you can be certain electricity use will increase. We can't even deal with replacing existing demand on electricity with renewables, let alone increased demand. Your great idea demands reductions in electricity to work.

You forget that electricity accounts for less than half the UK energy at present, with heat and transport being the main users. So even if we stopped using everything electrical from tomorrow, we still wouldn't cut our energy demands by 50%. As oil and gas decrease, more and more that was fuelled by those fuels will require electricity to power them instead. So just how can we use less electricity?

Moreover, if all transport and heating switched to electricity overnight, and we stopped using all existing electrical appliances, we wouldn't have enough electricity to power it at present, never mind with your proposed cuts in generation capacity…

I simply believe that alternatives to the nukes are plausible

A large proportion of the world's population believe in various, auto-exclusive monotheistic religions. It's quite easy to see how daft that is…

igm

Alex –

5 or 6 off shore wind farms at Scunthorpe

Sorry to do this – Scunthorpe is not on the coast, nor in the sea. Please do not do the navigating on any group rides.

By the way has anyone noticed that large amounts of energy, from any source, are by their very nature dangerous. That doesn't mean unsafe – safety and danger are two very different concepts – but if something were to go wrong a couple of GigaWatts up your padded lycra would (briefly) focus your mind.

Of course the most amusing thing I found out today is the length of time it takes to build offshore windfarms. It looks like one turbine a week per transportation / installation boat would be good going in good weather, which at a guess looks like half the year. A 4GW farm will need in the region of 1000 turbines, so let's say 10 boats, makes about 4 years. And that's not one of the bigger windfarms. It's going to take a while to build these.

Or Nucs to be fair.

Or much else.

Switch a few lights off would you.

aracer
    Free Member

So fundamentally your position is based on sociology rather than physics and engineering? In which case surely you should consider the evidence properly. The people telling you "lies" in the 70s about something with no previous scientific data to support their position didn't go away once nuclear power stations became more mature – they simply moved on to the next thing to lie about. Good thing there aren't any new energy generating technologies with unsupported claims being sold to us at the moment…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

So fundamentally your position is based on sociology rather than physics and engineering?

Sounds reasonable to me. You think there have been no more liars or incompetents entering adulthood since the 1970s?

zokes
    Free Member

Sounds reasonable to me. You think there have been no more liars or incompetents entering adulthood since the 1970s?

No, but instead they now lie about what they're going to do to the banks, whether we should go to war, the 'threat' of terrorism or even how much better off some parts of the UK will be on their own in the long term…

Nobody who is arguing against a new generation of nuclear reactors on this thread has yet come up with a viable alternative that is low-carbon, and can cope with increasing demand on electricity as gas and petrol become more scarce. Could that be because there isn't one?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zokes – feasible in your opinion. IMO the nukes won't solve it and the measures I suggested could.

Its all about political will.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Could that be because there isn't one?

Yep.

zokes
    Free Member

IMO the nukes won't solve it and the measures I suggested could.

Its all about political will.

Look at the facts. Even if you can reduce use of electricity now, what will happen to electricity demand when the entire transport sector needs to run on H2 or batteries rather than oil? Given current government rhetoric on this issue, it's already starting, and as electric / H2 cars get more affordable, and more like the ones we have already more people will use them. What is going to generate this extra electricity?

Removing one option of electrical generation for no logical means (you can believe what you like about safety and storage of waste – you're certainly wrong about the risks there) puts more pressures on renewables that could only hope to power the country's electricity demands (without added electric-powered transport) with a massive reduction on current usage. Any views to the contrary are simply the ostrich with his head firmly in the sand.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Guys – you keep asserting that it is inevitable energy usage will increase. It is not. the cost of one nuke put into energy conservation ( home insulation mainly)would reduce the countries energy usage by more than the power station would produce ( you do get into diminishing returns quickly tho)

There are many easy measures that could be taken to reduce energy usage – all it requires is political will. From prevent office blocks lighting being kept on overnight to preventing excess consumption in the home.

combine this with renewables and you have an alternate solution. Teh problems are twofold – firstly it requires political will and leadership that out politicians seem to be unable to provide and the second is that there is not the money for the big businesses in doing so. They have a vested interest in increasing consumption not decreasing it.

Then there is the option of deeper cuts in energy usage that will require changes to the way we live, This will have to come at some point in time – why not do it now in a controlled manner rather than in the future when it is forced upon us.

Now you guys may not want to believe this could work – but many folk do and the numbers add up.

I am giving up on this. Zokes – you are obviously well informed but you keep making assertions with no evidence. There simply is no inevitability about an increase in energy consumption.
    edit – you say – look at the facts and then start making assertions about the future that are pure conjecture.

zokes
    Free Member

Guys – you keep asserting that it is inevitable energy usage will increase

No I'm not, I'm guaranteeing that electricity usage will increase. I'm fairly sure overall energy usage will decrease substantially. If electricity usage increases, we need more generation capacity. If we were to build as much renewable generation as feasibly possible, we could not match the demand of transport and other sectors that currently do not use electricity as their primary energy source, but will have to as oil and gas become scarcer.

There are many easy measures that could be taken to reduce energy usage – all it requires is political will. From prevent office blocks lighting being kept on overnight to preventing excess consumption in the home.

combine this with renewables and you have an alternate solution. Teh problems are twofold – firstly it requires political will and leadership that out politicians seem to be unable to provide and the second is that there is not the money for the big businesses in doing so. They have a vested interest in increasing consumption not decreasing it.

Then there is the option of deeper cuts in energy usage that will require changes to the way we live, This will have to come at some point in time – why not do it now in a controlled manner rather than in the future when it is forced upon us.

So you are suggesting we build less generation now to take into account modest cuts such as those you suggest, whilst ignoring the elephant in the room?

Then there is the option of deeper cuts in energy usage that will require changes to the way we live, This will have to come at some point in time

Correct, so why not be prepared for it by having the generation capacity to wean ourselves off oil and gas slowly?

why not do it now in a controlled manner rather than in the future when it is forced upon us.

So what I've just suggested then?

Edit:

edit – you say – look at the facts and then start making assertions about the future that are pure conjecture.

q) Will oil run out and become increasingly expensive?

a) yes

q) Will gas run out and become increasingly expensive?

a) yes

q) How do you propose we heat our homes and power transport?

a) um….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

THERE IS NO INEVITABLITY ABOUT INCREASE ENERGY OR ELECTRICTY USAGE. NONE. This relies on political decisions.

You are a very clever man to predict the future with such certainty.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You analysis is reasonable – you conclusions are flawed. everything you want to do can be done without nuclear.

zokes
    Free Member

THERE IS NO INEVITABLITY ABOUT INCREASE ENERGY OR ELECTRICTY USAGE. NONE. This relies on political decisions.

You are a very clever man to predict the future with such certainty.

So we'll all just give up heating our homes, driving, and transporting freight then? It's one option or the other, but any transfer from petrol / gas to electricity is an increase in electricity. As currently less than half the UK energy consumption is via electricity, ANY transfer from oil / gas to electricity will be an increase. As I said last night, if we stopped using EVERYTHING that is currently powered by electricity, the UK energy savings would be less than 50%. Our current use of electricity isn't the problem – it's what we have to use to heat our homes, power our cars and transport our goods that's the problem.

All current suggestions to solve the latter two issues are centred around electrolysed H2 or batteries. What do we need to electrolyse water or charge batteries?

zokes
    Free Member

everything you want to do can be done without nuclear.

Yes, it can be done by burning coal – the one fossil fuel we have plenty of still. As I said before – 1bn from climate change vs 100k from a very unlikely event such as Chernobyl. Your call…

alex222
    Free Member

Yes my post was not in anyway based on facts but I was trying to illistrate a point (however badly) 😀

The point is that the population is growing, maybe not in this country but overall in the world we are in a population boom, so even if we halve our energy requirements (UK) all the rest of world (most of the worlds) energy demands are going up as the billions of people move from very little energy usage to probably a 'X' fold increase. These economies are growing and these growing economies with growing populations are going to move into a more comfortable lifestyle which invairiably will require more energy. So by us halving our energy demands what impact will that have on the rest of the worlds energy requirments? Next to sweet FA I would think.

As for actually reducing our use of energy, look at the world climate convetions what has been achieved? Nothing. How is joe puplic across the whole world going to be convinced to reduce energy consumption when people are so selfish.

So I guess we are all doomed which ever way you slice it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All current suggestions to solve the latter two issues are centred around electrolysed H2 or batteries. What do we need to electrolyse water or charge batteries?

wrong There are many other solutions to reducing energy usage in domestic heating and transport

Yes, it can be done by burning coal – the one fossil fuel we have plenty of still. As I said before – 1bn from climate change vs 100k from a very unlikely event such as Chernobyl. Your call…

Wrong Reduce energy usage and we reduce CO2 emmisions

The choice is reduce energy usage by easy measures available with current tech while spending the money you want to spend on nukes in research and development of the next generation of tech

luked2
    Free Member

THERE IS NO INEVITABLITY ABOUT INCREASE ENERGY OR ELECTRICTY USAGE.

We've got a rising population in this country (for whatever reason). So that alone will make it hard to avoid increased energy usage.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 263 total)

The topic ‘Nuclear Power, yay or nay’ is closed to new replies.