Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Now I'm not mapist, but…
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

extra map fun here: http://www.bogtrotters.org/maptest.php

now with added Google aerial photos in a similar style to wheresthepath. You can drag the photo block by its blue border and drag the size with the yellow marker bottom right. Thanks go to OS and Google for making the data available and publishing such easy-to-use interfaces.

alpin
    Free Member

i wish we had OS maps here in Germany. German maps are generally crap in comparison.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

That

Is

Awesome.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I can't stop playing with it 🙂 Incidentally, I've noticed there's not exact registration between the OS map and the Google photos, though the offset seems to wander unpredictably – and it's the same on wheresthepath so it must be inherent 🙁

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, I've noticed that elsewhere too.

AdamML
    Free Member

Very cool indeed…

Is the registration between the photos and the OS map anything to do with the co-ordinate reference system? I know that OS and lat/lon use two different models of the world…

bonj
    Free Member

that's great! 😀

bonj
    Free Member

what would be even better is a constantly changing number that represents the elevation of the current location of the pointer

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is the registration between the photos and the OS map anything to do with the co-ordinate reference system? I know that OS and lat/lon use two different models of the world…

yes, but OS provides a conversion routine. OS works in UK grid metres and Google works in latitude & longitude, however they may be simplifying to keep it quick.

AdamML
    Free Member

yes, but OS provides a conversion routine. OS works in UK grid metres and Google works in latitude & longitude, however they may be simplifying to keep it quick.

I think they (Google) may be simplifying something as I've used the OS conversion algorithm and commerical software to turn survey quality GPS data from OS into lat/lon then show it in KML and it just doesn't look right when you zoom right in in Google Earth…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what would be even better is a constantly changing number that represents the elevation of the current location of the pointer

My route guides have this, but only on the actual track, using data from my GPS. As far as I know OS and Google don't yet supply altitude data, but as soon as they do I'll add it 🙂

example here

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

to turn survey quality GPS data from OS into lat/lon then show it in KML and it just doesn't look right when you zoom right in in Google Earth…

well, I did read some stuff about approximations – Google have been looking ahead and their API supports other planets and geoids :o)

AdamML
    Free Member

well, I did read some stuff about approximations – Google have been looking ahead and their API supports other planets and geoids :o)

Sounds good, I'll have to look into that…

geoffj

I can't stop playing with it Incidentally, I've noticed there's not exact registration between the OS map and the Google photos, though the offset seems to wander unpredictably – and it's the same on wheresthepath so it must be inherent

I suspect the photo registration is a bit variable – probably a mix of geo and orthorectification. It will usually differ most where there are significant altitude changes.

BigJohn

Does that mean you haven't actually maped anybody?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Does that mean you haven't actually maped anybody?

tell me what it is and I'll tell you if I've done it 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

Nice one Simon, I've not looked at the OS Map interface but Mashed Up this in google maps for my club.

bonj
    Free Member

My route guides have this, but only on the actual track, using data from my GPS. As far as I know OS and Google don't yet supply altitude data, but as soon as they do I'll add it

I was thinking you could do it based on the contour lines on the OS e.g. if you move your mouse over contour lines, the number goes down – 300ft, 200ft, 100ft, so you know the path you're moving the mouse down is a descent.
    but thinking about it for more than a second a whole host of reasons why that's impossible come to mind.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was thinking you could do it based on the contour lines on the OS e.g. if you move your mouse over contour lines, the number goes down – 300ft, 200ft, 100ft, so you know the path you're moving the mouse down is a descent.

it would take massive heuristics to distinguish a contour line from other map features, and using Javascript would slow the whole thing to a halt, even if you could work out how to do it 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

, I've not looked at the OS Map interface but Mashed Up this in google maps for my club.

well, the OS mappinmt interface is quite easy to use, and I think more useful for general planning, as it's often hard to spot tracks on the photos unless you know exactly where to look. Hopefully OS will soon make the 1:25000 map data available too!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

each window scrolls the other now 🙂

Ambrose

Impressed.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Now I'm not mapist, but…’ is closed to new replies.