Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Not using Paypal 'gift'
  • matchstick
    Free Member

Have you ever had buyers that wont use Paypal ‘gift’ payment when you ask them via email aswell stating it on your for sale advert, just had a muppet 🙄 on here that didnt do it and wont response my email why he didnt do the ‘gift’ payment. I have posted the item off but wished I should have hang on it until I got a response from the muppet to pay the fee.

How do you deal when buyers doesnt follow your instructions making you pay the Paypal fee?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

eh?

sc-xc

I wouldn’t use paypal gift. And I wouldn’t buy from you judging from your tone.

carlos
    Free Member

Nowt gets posted from me till funds have arrived and cleared. I am a quite trusting person but thats the way it is.

End of

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I always pay the Fees if i buy something,its only 4%

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shoulda refunded him OP.

Simples

druidh
    Free Member

The reason for NOT using Paypal gift is that the buyer has less protection. If it were you and I, and you were happy that I received the goods before paying you, I’d be happy to use the Gift option.

nbt

I don’t buy from people who ask for “gift”, it’s not a bloody gift, I’m buying something

rOcKeTdOg

i avoid anything that askes for paypal gift even if it’s an unbeatable deal, unless i know them personally, too risky otherwise

the_prophet
    Free Member

as above really. hope your were slightly calmer in your emails to him?

donsimon
    Free Member

Never trust anyone with poor grammar, that’s my motto.
    You spend most of your time using the free classified, you ask for an unprotected transaction and then call the buyer a muppet… I smell something, not sure what but something smells… Not very bright…

bassspine
    Free Member

why so stuck on paypal? bank sort code and account number, BACS money across.

scaredypants

not using “gift” is so that PP offers some clawback option for the buyer* if you don’t send the gear. As such, the buyer should pay the fee as far as I’m concerned (I got “done” once like this by a buyer from here – I’d sent off the part before the money (mostly) arrived or I’d have kept it)

(Ed) *it’s also because that’s the rules and it’s a tad “fraudy” to do a gift just to avoid paying fees

bassspine
    Free Member

I see. The few times I’ve bought or sold stuff on here, there’s been an exchange of emails such that there’s sufficient mutual trust going on… it’s been slightly worrying but has worked so far

vdubber67
    Free Member

Some interesting viewpoints. It’s been my experience that almost everyone who sells on the classifieds here asks for paypal gift – seems to have become the norm.

donsimon
    Free Member

Some interesting viewpoints. It’s been my experience that almost everyone who sells on the classifieds here asks for paypal gift – seems to have become the norm.

How many of the “I’ve sent the money and nothing’s arrived. What can I do I paid Paypal gift?” threads have you seen? Surely there is too high a risk with Paypal gift, I simply wouldn’t buy.

druidh
    Free Member

vdubber67 – Member

Depends on the individuals involved. with some of the longer-term “inmates” it wouldn’t bother me to use it.

matchstick
    Free Member

The buyer have recieved the item after sending him an email if the stuff got to him ok and also mention the ‘gift’ payment, he respond back saying he got the item and no mention about the ‘gift’, yes I was calm and polite on emails before and afterwards.

Now I am disappointed about it hence using the word ‘muppet’ on here.

Maybe it would be a good idea if Paypal remove the ‘gift’ payment off the system and the sellers have to put up with fees as most seem to think ‘gift’ is not good.

donsimon
    Free Member

Then people who send genuine gifts get charged. 🙄

grumm
    Free Member

I think people are overestimating the protection you get from paypal outside ebay.

Also, if you request paypal gift in the advert then people should honour that imo.

matchstick
    Free Member

‘Then people who send genuine gifts get charged’

nope don simon, no charge on either buyer or seller, did not you know that?

rOcKeTdOg

Also, if you request paypal gift in the advert then people should honour that imo.

or just move on and ignore the advert like i do

theboatman
    Free Member

I tend to ask for payment via paypal gift or bank transfer, and generally pay by either. I do tend to at least check out folks posting history, base alot on the emails, and will leave anything that just does feel right. I’ve bought and sold plenty and never had a problem. One chap did ask if could pay by ‘normal’ paypal, and I was happy to do but asked him to cover the fee’s, which he did. I price with postage and no fee’s in mind, and have no problem adding on the fees.

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe it would be a good idea if Paypal remove the ‘gift’ payment off the system and the sellers have to put up with fees as most seem to think ‘gift’ is not good.

‘Then people who send genuine gifts get charged’

nope don simon, no charge on either buyer or seller, did not you know that?
    How does that work then when you’ve removed the gift option?

spooky_b329

I never send money as a gift. Paypal benefits the seller as well as it makes the transaction swift and simple, much better than messing about trying to find time to pay in cheques and then waiting for them to clear or emailing over your bank details.

If a buyer is stating gift, I ignore them, make the payment normally but just tick the “I’ll pay the fee’s” box. I bought a razor off here a few months ago and the seller emailed me complaining that Paypal had deducted fee’s…I think he thought it was a free service!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

often you seem to get charged on paypal gift any how.

If you send more than £25-£30 there is a charge

If one of the people isnt registered you get charged.

If you dont have your bank account details in paypal you get charged.

And sometimes no matter what I do there is a charge, I dont really get how it works.

-Liam-
    Free Member

The sender gets charged if their account it not verified or something along those lines.

People that demand people send payment by a gift are a little silly tbh. I’d never do it unless I knew the recipient. I certainly wouldnt consider it when the recipient has only been registered with the website for a month.

Just add the fees onto the total price and stop putting people in tricky situations.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Why don’t you give the buyer the choice of how to pay? i.e. £100 if Paypal gift or £105 if normal paypal – job done!

scaredypants

I bought a razor off here a few months ago and the seller emailed me complaining that Paypal had deducted fee’s…I think he thought it was a free service!

No, but I bet “he” thought that you should’ve paid the fees 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I usually ask for pp gift though am happy enough to take non gift if the buyer pays the fee.

grumm
    Free Member

or just move on and ignore the advert like i do

Yup fair enough. I’ve bought loads of stuff using paypal gift and never had a problem though.

If a buyer is stating gift, I ignore them, make the payment normally but just tick the “I’ll pay the fee’s” box.

This is also perfectly reasonable of course. Just ignoring the ‘gift’ bit and making them pay the fees without consultation is unreasonable imo.

nuke

I have no problem with Paypal Gift as I figure cheque/bank transfer also offers no protection and agree with what Grumm says about people overestimating the level of protection Paypal offers.

If someones out to con someone on here they will regardless of how you pay. When buying on the Classifieds, its all down to the research you do and the questions you ask; if you not happy, walk away as they’ll always be a similar item come up for sale.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I usually ask for payment as gift. If the buyer obliges, great! If not, I take a hit on the fee, it’s no big deal.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The sender gets charged if their account it not verified or something along those lines

Well that cant be true because sometimes when I try to use Paypal gift it wants a fee and sometimes not.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clubbed you truly are a gent.

tinribz
    Free Member

When you’ve been ripped off gifting people on here the OP might feel different. And how very dare they issue instructions to the buyer, wot a cheek.

Some people have sent me a gift before, much apprec but I’d not dream of asking never mind insisting, get a grip, or is this all a troll?

scaredypants

so you’d happily accept less than the agreed amount arriving in your account then, tinribz ?

not me – not again, anyway

andyl
    Free Member

I wish there was an option to add fees onto the amount as a buyer. I know it is an easy thing to work out but would rather know that the seller was getting what they were asking.

I have used gift and been scammed by someone on bikeradar – anyone live in WV4 want to go round and get some stuff for a few of us?

From now on I will use gift for someone who seems genuine (sells and posts a lot) but not for people with low post counts. I will offer to pay the fees.

woodsman
    Free Member

I will not be using ‘gift’again. I’m still waiting for and item I paid Ferrit32 for off here two weeks ago, he’s gone AWOL too.

donsimon
    Free Member

From now on I will use gift for someone who seems genuine (sells and posts a lot) but not for people with low post counts. I will offer to pay the fees.

And by giving this type of info you must be helping the scammers, someone who previously only sold, sold, sold will now……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Not using Paypal 'gift'’ is closed to new replies.