Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Not quite a road bike, and not quite a CX bike. Diverge?
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

What is out there?

Basically, I have a road bike, but would like to replace it with something a bit more all-roundey. Well, probably 80% tarmac, 20% gravel/bridleway trails would be the usage.

As such, I probably don’t want a CX bike, as assume the geo will be a bit much for long hours in the saddle, as they are meant for short races round a muddy field.

So far looked at Spesh Diverge and the GT Grade. Is there anything else out there? Budget is not great. About £1.5k. If it was more, I would probably have bought a Smartweld Diverge already.

miketually
    Free Member

A CX bike will be fine – I do long rise on my Cotic X.

scotroutes

Lots of robust tourers round that will do what you want. I have a Van Nicholas Amazon but take a look at the Tripster thread. Few of the current crop of disk-braked “CX” bikes are really that race focussed and things like the Sutra, Tricross etc have been around for years. Trek, Giant etc all do bikes that would do the job.

iainc

+1 look at the ‘adventure bikes’. At that budget there are loads, Croix De Fer 20 or nearly the 30 🙂

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That does look nice iainc. Never really considered the Genesis, not really sure why.

Few of the current crop of disk-braked “CX” bikes are really that race focussed

Interesting. I just assumed with the current crop of ‘new tourers’, or gravel bikes I believe they’re trying to call them, being released. The CX bikes in companies ranges would be more focused on the racier side of things.

scotroutes

Interesting. I just assumed with the current crop of ‘new tourers’, or gravel bikes I believe they’re trying to call them, being released. The CX bikes in companies ranges would be more focused on the racier side of things.[/quote]I’m sure things are now changing. I’m more referring to stuff that was introduced before this model year.

1-shed
    Free Member
    loddrik
    Free Member

kcal
    tod456
    Free Member

Please buy a grade 105 carbon then report back….. i need / want one.
    wiggle have got 12% off so it’s “near” your budget + they do “0%” over 20 mth

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Please buy a grade 105 carbon then report back….. i need / want one.
    wiggle have got 12% off so it’s “near” your budget + they do “0%” over 20 mth

Well, seeing as you asked so nicely….

@kcal – Might just be me, but the link doesn’t seem to work?

jonba
    Free Member

Planet X london road?

For what it is worth my Kinesis pro 6 is fine both in the mud in races then as a spring road bike. Quite happy doing centuries on it and do a bulk of my riding on it at this time of year. I dare say it is actually more comfy than my Focus cayo. If discs become legal in BC races I might buy another and start racing on it.

kcal

sorry bon… it seems to work from here – it’s a pic of a Peregrine in the wild country.. half-laden with panniers. One of those annoying problems with Facebook pics that imply it’s open to view by all when there’s no way of testing that!

monkeyboyjc

Saracen hack?

Or Gt enduro road?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about one of those new Mason cycles frames? I imagine you could put the alloy one together for £1.5k

Jason
    Free Member

I almost bought a GT Grade, well technically I bought it but I cancelled the order when the delivery date changed. In the end I bought a frame from China and built it up to my own spec. Very pleased with it so far, it worked out cheaper than the Grade, but with a much better spec. I mainly use it for long road rides, but it works fine off road too.

tenfoot

Pinnacle Arkose from Evans is worth a look (he says in a true STW recommend your own bike, way)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been umming and ahhing over the Genesis fugio, on the basis that an 853 road tubeset is an 853 tubeset, it should ride pretty well.

northernmatt

Nearly pushed the button on a London Road back in January when the 20spd ones were £800. The 22spd one is now £800 so I’m glad I waited!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve got a Diverge. It’s rather lovely. 😀First ride review here

Not quite in your budget, sadly. 🙁

Alternatives to look at (Apart from the cheaper Diverge) should definitely include the CDF range. Not the lightest, but lovely riding bikes. Focus do some stunning CXers that seem to fit the bill as well. Giant TCX is tasty as well, but not the Giant Anyroad. Despite having a name for the Yorkshire market, it’s a dog ugly bike!

Friend has a Grade and it rides well. I, personally, think it’s uglier than an ugly thing. But, taste is a fickle thingy!

nedrapier

my version of what kcal was trying to post. not in production at the moment, but come up sh from time to time.

Other tyres are available, obviously! Not carbon light, but very versatile and great fun.

ampthill

I think that most of the new CX bikes aren’t CX bikes, they are what you want

Whyte do some nice ones

Evans Pinnacle Arkos do a lot of stuff for the money

A grand buys 105 and cable brakes

add £250 for hydros

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/pyrolite-two-disc-2015-road-bike-ec055211

Ignore the blurb it will easily take a 40 c tyre and the geometry and frame looks the same as the CX/adventure bike

however at your budget a genesis CdF but make sure it is a light one

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think that most of the new CX bikes aren’t CX bikes, they are what you want

Whyte do some nice ones

I’ve had a Whyte Saxon Cross for a couple of years now, and I’m really pleased with it.
    I had an Orbea igorre before and that was much more race orientated, as in canti brakes that would work at the slightest sign of water and a off-road ride that shook your fillings out.
    The Whyte is a much more forgiving ride off-road and the disc brakes allow you to stop when you want to not when the bike decides to.

kcr
    Free Member

I’m using a Kinesis Pro 6 frame on my commuting/touring/winter training/Audax bike.
    It has clearance and fittings for mudguards, carrier, etc.

bails

it will easily take a 40 c tyre

Interesting. Have you measured it yourself?

MoreCashThanDash

Arkrose. That budget gets hydro brakes I think?

Ridden 150k audax on mine on road with slick tyres, 70 mile rides involving gravel with (Sammy) semi slicks

gee
    Free Member

Salsa Warbird.

I ride mine everywhere – road, off road, proper Mtb trails.

It’s excellent. Sram CX1 hydro also excellent.

GB

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Right. So I have gone from having 2 bikes in mind, to now have about 10.

So far, I am erring towards the Grade. It looks ridiculous, but could get the ally version for £900, then fit hydros + Kinesis CXD wheels, and still have change left after selling the OE shifters and HY/RDs.

jeffl

Grade alloy 105 comes with TRP cable actuated hydro discs. Nice bike when I had a look at one in the shop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TRP cable actuated hydro discs

Would rather see Spyres, or full hydro. Spyres are excellent, and very simple. Full hydro are excellent. The hybrid system seems to be a papering over the cracks to me, trying to give roadies “hydro” brakes when they don’t have proper hydro.

Never ridden any, I should add, but having ridden both Spyres, and SRAM/Shimano hydro, I’d have the latter if I could, and the former if I couldn’t. Not the compromise.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agree that it is the worst of both worlds

Also there is next to no fluid in the caliper so what happens when it boils on a long descent and you get brake fade?

Just seems to be a bodged compromise

Junkyard
    Free Member

Have you measured it yourself?

yes went in the shop today and put some other wheels of other bikes in it and there was still plenty [ i mean finger sized space not a tiny gap of mm] of space at the front. No idea why the website says that tbh
    Rear was even wider clearance but I did not put a tyre [ i was in a rush] in there but will do this tomorrow

i will take some pics tomorrow

antigee

The hybrid system seems to be a papering over the cracks to me, trying to give roadies “hydro” brakes when they don’t have proper hydro.

I thought the same and was hanging out to go 11 speed hydro – which also means new rear wheels as run 2 wheelsets one for gravel and one for 100% road – one problem with running disks is wheels don’t wear out!

Finally got fed up with constant adjustment to BB7’s on my Pro6 and fitted some TRP Hy/rd’s and just like it says in all the reviews they are fantastic

unlike poster higher up i find that all day rides on my pro6 can be a bit of a beat up but its forgiven when you throw it round some singletrack – amazing fun

simon_g

Planet X London Road looks great value if you like SRAM – currently £799 with Rival 22, BB7 brakes. Leaves a good chunk of cash for upgrades later on if wanted.

irvb

I’ve got a Spesh Diverge Smartweld and its great, but…

I can’t bear to part with my 5yr old Surly Pacer, so am actually toying with selling the Diverge. 56cm, in Sussex and looking for north of £1500 I would think…. (not sure if this breaks any forum rules, as I’ve never read them).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Grrr!

Would be after 54cm max, irvb, otherwise we would be doing a deal.

Xylene
    Free Member

I cam very close to buying one of these last year, but just got a better deal else where on a different bike. I really liked the style and idea of them

kcr
    Free Member

I find the Hy-Rd brakes very good. Easier to set up and maintain than BB7s, and also standing up to winter conditions much better so far.
    Full hydraulic will obviously be the long term solution, but I’m still on 9 speed for my commuter/tourer/winter training bike, so Hy-Rds give me the advantages of hydraulic pad self adjustment, without having to shell out for a new group set and a pricey set of shifters.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would rather see Spyres, or full hydro. Spyres are excellent, and very simple. Full hydro are excellent. The hybrid system seems to be a papering over the cracks to me, trying to give roadies “hydro” brakes when they don’t have proper hydro.

I’ve got Spyres, and I’ve ridden the hybrid TRPs and a couple of sets of Shimano full hydros.

Spyres aren’t that good. Maybe it’s the pads but I’m unimpressed. They’re small, neat and easy to set up but lack the power of, say, a cheap Shimano or Hayes mechanical.
    Full hydro requires 11sp and lots of expense. I don’t think they’re good enough to warrant it.
    Good, yes, but not amazing.
    TRP hydro hybrids feel as good as full hydraulics to me, but without the expense.
    That’s what I’d go for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Not quite a road bike, and not quite a CX bike. Diverge?’ is closed to new replies.