• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Not exactly a Baby Robin…
  • CountZero

…but an Osprey! Never thought I’d see one, but this one was just on the outskirts of Chippenham, I was standing on the bridge over the Avon which carries the cycle path to Calne, and it was flying towards me, I thought it was a heron at first, really broad wings with a similar slow beat. It turned away and landed on top of a utility pole not far from a farm, so I tramped across the fields, and managed to get within around fifty metres, before it flew off, carrying a bloody great fish, must have been fifteen to eighteen inches long, silvery-bronze in colour.
    Amazing thing to see, sadly I didn’t have my camera, so no photos, only a pretty poor zoomed-in phone photo.

boxelder

Varmin – coming over here taking all our fish

PJ266
    Free Member

Varmin

Is that a new make of GPS?

That would make my day CZ, lucky you!

PiknMix
    Free Member

There are not many perks living in the midlands but Rutlands breeding Ospreys are one of them.

CountZero

I was pretty chuffed, I can tell you! They have been spotted around the Cotswold Water Park, which is further north, but I never thought I’d actually see one, and with a fish it had caught, too. It seemed to be much too preoccupied munching on the fish to be concerned with all the other birds that were mobbing it, particularly the seagulls that were actually dive-bombing it, screaming their heads off. Just jealous they couldn’t handle a fish that must have weighed a couple of pounds, I guess. 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

Baby Osprey? 😆

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Not exactly a Baby Robin…’ is closed to new replies.