Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Drilling track world
  • jock-muttley

What are you using it for? The odd shelf erection and minor DIY or will it get day in day out hammering as part of your job?

Flaperon

The Makita. I have one. It’s awesome, the battery lasts for yonks, and will recharge to full in less than 30 minutes thanks to the mega charger it comes with. Seriously, it has a fan to cool the battery and plays the Fur Elise when it’s finished charging. You should buy it just for that.

Next question.

jock-muttley

If its the latter then you need to be looking at something like this as a bare minimum.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-xr-dcd785c2sf-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/22732

If it’s the former then either will do.

damitamit
    Free Member

Just general DIY, nothing major.

Everyone rates Makita but the hitachi has two batteries. Anyone have any experience of hitachis?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have no issues with any of my hitachi kit but i question – with liions quick charging (ie over a cup of tea) why do you feel you need 2 batterys for DIY use ?

damitamit
    Free Member

Good point. I guess it’s being so used to previous ni-cads failing half way through doing something and having the 2nd battery there ready to continue.

mark90
    Free Member

I have the same Makita, good bit of kit. Batteries last ages for genral/light DIY use, and with the quick charger I would question if 2 are really necessary. I do have two (1.5’s) with mine, it came from B&Q for £130. Beware the one B&Q currently have for £102 isn’t the same (model or quality) and uses specific batteries, the 453 uses standard Makita batteries that are interchangeable between tools.

A mate has a older model 18V Hitachi and it’s stood up to a fair bit of heavy use.

So take your pick, both should be fine for DIY use.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

http://www.buyaparcel.com/p/makita-dk1493wx-10-8v-lithium-ion-li-ion-white-combi-hammer-drill-329195/?gclid=CLvnuJyftb0CFazHtAodb1AAqQ

DIY use? 10.8 makita double kit FTW.

These things weigh next to nothing. Battery life is great, charger is done in 30mins.

Pilot with drill, screw with impact, done at warp factor 9.

Brilliant kit.

teasel
    Free Member

As above but the Bosch version. Bit more SP, even from FFX.

Like MMF writes above, pilot followed by impact driver and it’s a few seconds job. I’ve used the drill driver to tuck away 80mm without a pilot and it didn’t struggle at all.

In all honesty, and I’m no expert, unless you’re in the middle of a field and unable to recharge your batteries, I can’t see the point in hoisting those bloody great big 18v batteries up and down all day. The 10.8v range from Makita or Bosch are more than capable for any DIY job and much easier and comfortable to use throughout a days work.

Here’s a vid I made of the impact driver dealing with a long screw without a pilot, though it goes in a lot easier and with less strain if you take the trouble to do so…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvwFxbYBBu8[/video]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Drilling track world’ is closed to new replies.