Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Northern Lights next January
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

Got a big birthday next January and Mrs Priceyboy wants to take me to (hopefully) see the Northern Lights.

It is supposed to be a good year for it and we have looked at both Norway and Iceland.

Would welcome any comments or experiences from the Singletrack Massive.

Thanks in advance,

beefheart
    Free Member

John o groats.

CountZero

I don’t think it’s possible to predict how good any year is likely to be, regarding seeing aurora. There could be a stunning display, but where you are might be overcast, for example. Canada, Finland, Iceland, anywhere close to the Arctic, really. I’ve seen aurora in North Wiltshire, but every time there have supposed to be perfect conditions since they’ve either not shown, or the weather has been shitty. A bit like eclipse watching. Northern Scotland could be just as suitable, really, it all boils down to what the sun gets up to.
    Best of luck, wherever you decide to go; pick a place that you’re going to bring back lots of great memories of, with an aurora spotting as the cherry on the top, that way you won’t be so disappointed if they fail to show during your visit.

matt22
    Free Member

Ive seen the Northern Lights quite a few times in North Norway on Artic warfare training, its stunning and totaly worth going to see.

Norway is an amazing country for any outdoor activity,Biking skiing extremely expensive though. Ive been there in DEC through to FEB It got down to minus 55deg C so take some warm kit with you

Pigface
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rule out Finland, seen them there, it is a bit pot luck.

kayak23

I would go to Norway still and if you see the lights, then it’s a fantastic bonus. Just a stunning country to see anyway. Absolutely love the place.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvFPlWh1yQY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvvFPlWh1yQY[/video]

erny
    Free Member

I’ve been to the ice hotel in Sweden, Norway and few years ago in January and Iceland last year in early march and we have still not seen the northern lights 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Northern Lights next January’ is closed to new replies.