Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Northern Lights
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I've just received this email from a list I subscribe to

AuroraWatch Alert, 11:07 UT 28 Oct 2009:
    VERY LARGE increase in local activity, possible SSC.
    http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/

Red alerts usually indicate high probablity of Aurora Borealis, so if you're out and about later on tonight, take the odd glance upwards, especially if you're further north – displays often start with a light glow in the sky and can grow to something spectacular. I know we've been through a quiet period, but I did see a fairly spectacular display flying over Greenland a couple of weeks ago.

Pook

Ooh excellent – I'm going for a night ride up over the Peaks. Maybe Ill get lucky

Thanks for that!

MrNutt
    Free Member

pfft this time of year the sky above swindon is black from all the burning mattresses and you can't walk along the great wall of swindon as its closed for sanitation.

nbt

Cracking, thanks. I remember seeing them when we were in Grizedale forest a few years back – couldn't work out what the hell it was at first as we never expected them to be visible so far south. Awesome sight

CountZero

I'll look out as well. Saw them once nearly thirty years ago; saw something out of the car window and pulled over. My mate asks what's up, so I say just get out and tell me if I'm seeing things. We stood by the side of the A4 near Avebury for ten minutes at one am with our mouths open at this amazing display the aurora put on. Incredible, one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Stu_N

Thanks, another reason for going riding.

Saw them from Struie Hill above a cloud inversion about 6 years ago, one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

organic355
    Free Member

I am in scotland, is there more chance that I will see them? Is it as soon as it gets dark or at a specific time?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I am in scotland, is there more chance that I will see them?

Yes – the further north the better.
    Time is variable, the earliest I know od someone seeing something was around 6PM, but that show peaked around 10PM Around midnight seems to be best

Evesie
    Free Member

"Yes – the further north the better"
    I'm in Northern Sweden – 240KM North of Arctic circle – clear sky during today, will look out tonight…..

MrNutt
    Free Member

you lucky bugger!

coffeeking
    Free Member

**** clouds <from glasgow>.

Creg

cloudy here too (north yorks)….bastard weather 👿

only seen the aurora once but really want to see it again.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

We are very sorry for today's false alert which was due to man-made
    disturbance at our Lancaster field site.

Regards,
    the AuroraWatch team.

This email has been sent by the AuroraWatch mailing list.
    To unsubscribe or change your subscription options visit
    http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/cgi-bin/subscribe

Sorry

MrNutt
    Free Member

how could you!!

Creg

typical…just as the cloud is starting to clear…**** sake 👿

organic355
    Free Member

Only just read this now!

so i must have looked a right nonce stood outside my house last night staring up at the sky then?

I need to learn how to RSS..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Northern Lights’ is closed to new replies.