Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Noisy Chainline on 1×9 ~ Help!!!!
  • P20

I’m busy setting up a 1×9 drivetrain on my carbon 456 and its not happy. In the lower(bigger) 3 sprockets the chainline is poor and its quite noisy. I initially thought it was rubbing on the chainguide, but i removed that and its still noisy. I can’t move the chainring further inwards. Am I screwed?

Spec:
    Raceface Deus XC Cranks
    Goldtec single ring 32t mounted in middle ring position
    XTR chain
    XT 11-34t cassette.
    King BB, no spacers
    Superstars BB mounted chainguide

After typing this out, the only thing i can think of is to put a seatube mounted guide and space the bb across to the non-drive.

There’s also a video uploading to youtube to try and explain the problem…..

Hingy
    Free Member

Is there a problem with your B screw setting?

P20

B tension is fine, the jockey wheel is clear of the cassette. Its definitely the chainset. You can see the chain vibrate on the left of the screen as it nears the chainring

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TACOxZtvkxQ[/video]

P20

Update. Just tried it with crank spaced across as above. Still the same….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

worn chainring / newchain?

Does it do it under load?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Could it be that the BB is not supposed to be spaced as its a 73mm BB shell, meaning that the BB mounted chainguide is spacing the cranks too far out?

edit just read you removed chain guide… also realised I’m talking total balls as the difference between 68 and 73 is 5 meaning 2 2.5mm spacers, leaving one spacer on the drive side…

P20

Its all new, ring, chain cassette, bb, guide. Only the cranks are old. TJ yes it did it under load too.
    I’ve changed the ring to an old (normal ramped slickshift hardcoat)middleburn and it seems happy. I’m bit gutted as the Goldtec is quite nice. I’ve used their 1/8th rings before on singlespeed and expected this one to be as good. 🙁

So which 1×9 rings are people using? I would prefer (ironically) to avoid middleburn

fenred
    Free Member

So which 1×9 rings are people using? I would prefer (ironically) to avoid middleburn

I experience this occasionally on my 1×9 setup, but it seems more pronounced when the chain is dirty. Kind of comes and goes.

I use an on one 32t SS ring, dont recal hearing anything on the old ramped RF 32t chainring so could be cr related…Not going back to ramped though.

curvature
    Free Member

I use a Goldtech 32 ring on my 1×10 set up and no noise or vibration from the chainring.

Just noise from the Superstar Plasma but nothing to worry about.

P20

Fenred, its all new and therefore clean. The slightly dirty middelburn is quieter.
    curvature, i do like the ring. Simple and well made, but it evidently isn’t happy with the chainline i have. The set up is actually clear of the chain device

passtherizla
    Free Member

I run a SLX with bash and just removed the granny ring, Blackspire stinger, and I’ve got a inner chain ring guide in the post. I;ve had no noise issues just chain drops. 11-32 at the back and a cheapo KMC chain. saint mech.

fenred
    Free Member

If your middleburn ring is quieter the issue must lie with the chainring 😕

Playing your video back it really does make a racket so cr aside Im a bit bamboozled. Mine only happpens in 34t sprocket and as I say its occasional and under load.

Share your pain tho, particularly with a new build, might be worth a bump in the morning to see if anyone else has advice…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Noisy Chainline on 1×9 ~ Help!!!!’ is closed to new replies.