Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Noctilucent cloud alert!
  • Hohum
    Free Member

If it is clear where you are (this applies more to people in the north of the country) have a look towards to the north and you may well see a great display of noctilucent clouds.

They are quite eerie looking things, but also very beautiful.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Noctilucent???

😯

The dirty….

stucol
    Free Member

I stay just south of Glasgow and they are clearly visible from here.

Cheers for the heads-up.

bruk

Nothing in Cheshire 🙁

Post some piccies please

Hohum
    Free Member

bruk – Member
    Nothing in Cheshire

Post some piccies please

I only have an camera which would not do them any justice at all, sorry.

Some chap on a weather forum I visit who lives close to Wigan reported a sighting of them just before 11.30pm and that is reasonably close to you.

Mind you, I have just been out again to have a look and whilst it is getting darker out there the display is fading quite a bit.

However, let’s hope it bodes well for the rest of the summer 🙂

bruk

Nah clear skies up above! Suspect it may be too late down here now.

Thanks anyway

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Noctilucent clouds are not fully understood and are a recently discovered meteorological phenomenon; there is no evidence that they were observed before 1885.

…the occurrence of noctilucent clouds appears to be increasing in frequency, brightness and extent. It is theorized that this increase is connected to climate change

Conspiracies anyone?

Drac

Seen some last weekend when driving around on nights, they did look amazing in the sunrise.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what’s the difference between a noctilucent cloud, and a ‘normal’ cloud that’s just high enough to still be in sunlight?

Hohum
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    what’s the difference between a noctilucent cloud, and a ‘normal’ cloud that’s just high enough to still be in sunlight?

Height is the difference.

Noctilucents are about 50 miles up in the mesosphere.

As the sun sets you will see the “normal” clouds go dark, but the noctilucents will appear brighter against the darkening horizon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Noctilucent cloud alert!’ is closed to new replies.