Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Nobby Nic UST, any experience?
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

fitted a pair of these on Friday, they grip fantastically, roll beautifully but hold air like a wet sock.

noticed foam forming on the tyre when i used muc off last night so they are leaking through the carcass

any body used these and had to put latex in them?

househusband

Leaking through the carcass..?

That is a bit worrying if they are the proper UST version. Have used Schwalbe Albert UST’s for over a year and they were very robust, but then they do have the ‘Snakeskin’ carcass that the NN’s don’t.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

worried me too, the only thing i could come up with is that the are SO thin that they picked up a load of tiny pinprick punctures form gorse on saturday

i find this very hard to believe though

orange
    Free Member

sounds odd as UST tyres have a butyl lining on the inside of the tyre to stop such air leakage

are they quite old and have worn sideways in any way?

do they have this UST logo on them?

i use NN UST tyres and ALWAYS use latex sealant with my UST and tubeless ready tyres – what else is going to keep the air in all the holes the thorns round here make?

the_lecht_rocks

i use NN UST’s on my HT – with latex solution – no problems…excellent in fact.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

they are brand new and definitely UST!

when i wash the bike tomorrow i’ll see where the air is coming out

Nobby

Sounds unusual & I’ve never had the problem with mine. I do tend to run all my tyres with stan’s or joe’s latex in ’em these days though.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Yep, id also say my UST NN’s never seem to lose any air, maybe 5 psi a month, with an oz or two of sealant in there.

Farticus

NN USTs hold air fine, but they’re very delicate IME. I’ve trashed 3 with punctures – by the time I’d stopped, the tyres were flat and had torn small holes just above the bead. All had sealant in them which sealed other tyres (incl. the much more robust Schwalbe Alberts), but strangely not the NNs.

nickc

Reckon it was leaking out of the valve then?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

doubt it, previous contis were fine

richc
    Free Member

I’ve only every used them with sealant so I never saw this, however when I got some of the dodgy batch where the knobs tore off, 1 email to Schwalbe resulted in new tyres being posted to me straight away.

The-Beard

My rear NN UST leaked a bit but I put some sealant in and it stopped, obviously. Never had any other problems whatsoever. I did have trouble getting them to seat once after swapping tyres. Latex had got into the groove for the bead and was preventing a perfect seal, cleaned the grooves out and problem gone.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

well……

just cleaned the bike and I reckon my gorse theory is correct. Both tyres seem to have loads of pinprick punctures, more on the rear than the front. I guess they are a lot more prone to this form of punctures than tyres and tubes. Latex it is then 🙂

IT’S FOAM FROM MUCOFF AND AIR LEAKING BEFORE YOU START

ya dirty beggars

The-Beard

didn’t know you could get non-disc UST rims.

The-Beard

That could be fun if you ever wear the rims out!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i think i’ll have worn myself out before the ceramic coating on those rims…..

The-Beard

Very nice. Your bike must weigh **** all!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, it will when I can afford more carbon bits 🙂

landcruiser
    Free Member

I use mine with sealant and am really happy, no punctures no air loss to speak of.

The-Beard

Now that’s a paint job! 8)

Very nice!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

just ordered some sealant

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic UST, any experience?’ is closed to new replies.