Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • No mummy I want a comfortable sleeping bag
  • eruptron
    Free Member

Would like a comfortable sleeping bag. I made the wrong choice and bought a Vango 3 season job that’s equivalent to 9.8 tog. It’s like sleeping in a blast furnace add to this the fact I’m a bit on the broad side and find the Mummy style bag really restrictive.
    Looking at the 2 Snugpak bags nautilus or The Navigator. Anyone got either and will I be to warm in The Navigator?

ppapa
    Free Member

What is the planned usage? Bivvying in a snow cave or car camping in summer?

I’ve got Rab Neutrino Endurance 400 that is a mummy sleeping bag, but this was the only one bag I could afford and the weight was within the range I was looking for.

eruptron
    Free Member

Car, fair weather camping. Really don’t want to spend to much as a quilt is always an option then the bag can be opened up.
    Just need something warm and comfortable.

aP
    Free Member

Just take a duvet. And a pillow. It’ll be more adaptable.

Saccades
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get yourself to Decathlon. Their bags come in 2 sizes, I get the large one because I like to starfish in bed! They also zip together from the waist up so I get to snuggle up to Mrs PP but not get cold feet! We’ve got the lightweight and medium ones and I can’t recommend them highly enough.

mos

The go outdoors pods are good if you don’t get on with mummy style bags.

csb

Blacks recentlly sent me a large mountain hardwear lamina sleeping bag by mistake. It’s a bit wider than the regular and as a broad shouldered chap it’s awesome! Ok there’s about 15cm of spare at the foot end but thats worth it.

somouk
    Free Member

Not sure if they’re still available but I use a sleeping pod. It’s a sleeping bag that is big enough to allow you to stretch out properly but still comes in towards the top so you can get a nice seal on a cold night.

I think it’s a two season and I’ve used it in all sorts of UK temperatures from depth of winter to highs of summer with no problems, just cary the amount of kit you wear in it.

martymac

I have a sleeping pod, its great, for the reasons mentioned above

dabaldie
    Free Member

+ the pod from Go Outdoors. Bought it for my little boy but he’s never used it as I always steal it. Brilliant bit of kit. Warm, but not sweathy/too warm. Used in summer (24/12) and also middle of winter down to -3 with no problems at all.

acidchunks

Another +1 for a pod

I have one of these, it’s massive!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-the-beast-extra-large-sleeping-pod-p353999

houndlegs
    Free Member

I use a Navigator, cos I dont like mummy bags. Its great, plenty of room, warm enough for me(if it’s chilly I take some thermals). Its a bit bulky and heavyish, but not too bad, I still manage to cart it round in a pannier for cycle camping.
    If you’re anywhere near Abertillery, you can check it out if you want.

eruptron
    Free Member

houndlegs – Member
    I use a Navigator, cos I dont like mummy bags. Its great, plenty of room, warm enough for me(if it’s chilly I take some thermals). Its a bit bulky and heavyish, but not too bad, I still manage to cart it round in a pannier for cycle camping.
    If you’re anywhere near Abertillery, you can check it out if you want.

Cheers for the offer but up at the top of Cumbria so unfortunetley not round the corner.
    Probably go with The Navigator will probable be mostly opened up and used as a under sheet witha duvet on top unless I’m on my own.
    Have got a cheap pod one didn’t like the shiney interior was a cheap one so was a bit cool in the early hours.

ppapa
    Free Member

It’s highly recommended to use a sleeping bag liner anyway. Washing is not required as much then.

They are usually silk (lightest), cotton (crap) or fleece (boosts the temperature ratings a bit).

CountZero

I’ve got a Coleman mummy bag, got it for £40 from an outdoor shop near Kingsbridge last year after I stupidly left my Aldi/Lidl bag at home, thinking I’d already put it in the car! Dimwit.
    Anyway, it’s pretty much identical to the Aldi bag, and really soft and comfy, I use a cheap cotton liner, which works ok to keep the main bag clean, and I’ve just had a look on Coleman’s site to see what more spacious bags they have, this one seems fairly close:
    http://www.coleman.eu/in/p-25713-hudson-235-comfort.aspx
    Mine is this one:
    http://www.coleman.eu/in/p-25705-exponent-atom-x1400.aspx
    For £40, I’m chuffed to bits with it, just spent the weekend at Green Man, damp and cool at night, I was warm and snug.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘No mummy I want a comfortable sleeping bag’ is closed to new replies.