Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alfine Cable Run
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hello,

Is there a away to change the orientation of the cassette joint on a 8 speed Alfine?
    I’ve tried switching around the anti-turn washers to change it but I can’t get it to lay along the chain stay, it want’s to be inline with the seat stays.
    I didn’t know if it’s the way it has been put together and if I took some of the gubbins off I could change the orientation?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GQuz4h]IMG_20160505_175605[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Any advise is gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Steve

ajantom

You can buy different anti-turn washers that hold the axle at different orientations. What colour are yours?

somafunk

You can buy different anti turn washers from SJS cycles.

edit : Doh…too late

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

The LBS installed Blue & Green, tried switching sides etc to no effect.

Cheers, Steve

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Well I found out why I’m having a issue…… my good LBS…… has installed a 11speed cassette joint onto an 8 speed Alfine… no wonder I can’t get all the gears! 😡

Cheers, Steve

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

To be fair they have replied to my facebook message I send 10 mins ago, so can’t complain about customer service.

Cheers, Steve

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

So I’ve had the bike back a couple of weeks now, the LBS fitted the proper part all free of charge and finally got out to give it a run!
    Have to say it’s like night and day with it all working as it should, I was beginning to think I made a mistake going Alfine but am pretty confident with my decision now…. just need to build my legs up again.. maybe a singlespeed wheel for those days I wan’t a harder ride….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M7de8P]14188134_10153872872863225_1069897283868561573_o[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Also enjoying the Carbon Alt bars in the form of the On-One OG bars provided by Jossie on here! so much so I’ve decided not to change my frame atm while it’s still so nice to ride, next time I damage my rims I might try 27.5+ in it but atm happy as is, a tad newer XT brakes has helped…. M765 to M785.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M4bGdy]14212807_10153898624718225_5206254317153832326_n[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

thepodge
    Free Member

A lot of people don’t like the alfine off road but I was a huge fan, looks good on the Singular.

Saccades
    Free Member

Just put my alfine in for a new rear wheel and bits – it got jet washed about 4 years ago and the now undergreased cup and cones have pitted and after 7 years the shifting has gone to pot (dunno why).

456 Alfine

Ace bike off-road.

tjagain

Saccaredes – have you serviced it at all? ie oil dunk te internals? If not the sliding mechanism for shifting gets gunked up with old dried out grease – also play in the bearings can affect shifting.

Saccades
    Free Member

Serviced 😆 The whole bike has only been washed 6x – it normally looks like this:

Forks have changed from RC41F to RC40xcam

Edit to say – That photo was taken last year and only the fork and seatpost/seat has been changed (excluding consumables), think I’ve wrung value for money from it.

tjagain

Its worth doing an oil dunk every year – then the hubs last for ever and it only takes half an hour

Saccades
    Free Member

The hub is fine, the cup and cones are shot – loads of play and loads of rumbles.

tjagain

it keeps the bearings in good trim as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alfine Cable Run’ is closed to new replies.