Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • No country for old men
  • Daniel
    Free Member

Llewelyn is shot by the Mexicans, who get their money back.
    Hitman keeps his word and kills Llewelyn’s wife.
    Hitman escapes ‘you didn’t see me’
    Sheriff retires.
    The End

Yes? – because it just seemed to end suddenly. I thought ‘Is that it?!’

plumber
    Free Member

dull

RealMan
    Free Member

Brilliant film.

Daniel
    Free Member

I was hooked. I was a shocked when it suddenly finished.

iDave
    Free Member

dull?

are you insane?

I was a shocked when it suddenly finished.

could that not be seen as a good ending then? do you need guy gets girl/skipping over the horizon?

Daniel
    Free Member

But was that it?

thomthumb
    Free Member

shite

RealMan
    Free Member

No, there is more, its just that the version you were watching ended short..

😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Was what it? The ending perfectly summed up the theme of the film: What else do you need? It’s a fantastic version of an even better book.

RealMan
    Free Member

Didn’t know there was a book. Amazon time I think..

Daniel
    Free Member

I suppose I was expecting the hitman to get caught, or the usual Hollywood ending.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yup: by Cormac McCarthy, probably my favourite author. He also wrote ‘The Road’, amongst other great books.

mikey74
    Free Member

Well it was by the Coen brothers, and based on a book by a fairly unconventional author, so a conventional film was never really on the cards, thankfully.

trailmonkey

So, is it “No Country For Old Men ” because,

A) Every one dies young in a wild culture
    or
    B)Old men can’t stand the pace
    or
    C) Something that I’ve missed

Kahurangi

Huh, I’d though that Llewlyn got him, not the Mexicans. What did I miss?

noteeth
    Free Member

Great film – probably took the Coen Brothers to do justice to McCarthy’s spare prose. Wonder what a film version of Blood Meridian would look like… 😯

Stunning author: The Crossing and Suttree are two of my favourite books ever.

mosschops
    Free Member

Answering the question – yeah, you got the outcomes I saw. No doubt Kermode will be along in a second to tell us about all the nuanced referencing and cod philosophy we should have picked up

Too violent for me – and should have been labeled sci-fi

MC

MrSmith
    Free Member

Roger Deakins was DOP on the film. that’s why it looks so good.
    great casting, superb film and a good read too.

mikey74
    Free Member

So, is it “No Country For Old Men ” because,

A) Every one dies young in a wild culture
    or
    B)Old men can’t stand the pace
    or
    C) Something that I’ve missed

Like all the best things, it is open to interpretation, but I would suggest that it is a little from column A and a little from Column B.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Amazing film. One of the best of the last few years

mikey74
    Free Member

Great film – probably took the Coen Brothers to do justice to McCarthy’s spare prose. Wonder what a film version of Blood Meridian would look like…

Well, I understand that Ridley Scott has bought the rights to it: If that is true, then I am quite excited. I am currently reading Blood Meridian for the second time.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Trail monkey – name of the film is from the speech tommy lee does at the begining on how old timers didn’t need to carry a gun. It’s also the line from a poem by Wiliam Butler Yates about changing times. Great film, great cast, great book.

trailmonkey

oh and btw, yes, an amazing film.

any film that leaves you thinking is a good film in my estimation.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

It’s a fantastic version of an even better book.

Yup. Film ends just as the book does; no cosy resolutions in McCarthy novels.

Blood Meridian is jaw-droppingly well written.

noteeth
    Free Member

Well, I understand that Ridley Scott has bought the rights to it

Not sure it would be possible to adequately portray The Judge on film… utterly terrifying character.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think that ultimately the point is that no matter how much you start out with the best intentions of setting the world to rights, you always end up being pushed to one side as the world outside gets on with it and you find yourself not being able to keep up anymore: Nobodys fault, no blame, just the way it is, and Tommy Lee Jones’ character realises it at the end.

…kind of, maybe 😐

plumber
    Free Member

Sorry I have re addressed my previous statement

Very dull

mikey74
    Free Member

Not sure it would be possible to adequately portray The Judge on film… utterly terrifying character.

That is the one thing I worry about making that book into a film i.e. that the book as it is in pretty much un-filmable and that there will have to be a fair few compromises to make it into something that will be visually acceptable to audiences.

The Judge is a terrifying character, but also quite intriguing, a bit like Ahab in Moby Dick.

Thanks for the valuable input into this conversation plumber 😡

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The scene in the gas station is one of the best scenes I’ve seen. The old guy attendant almost seems improvising he seems that nervous, but the films almost word for word to the book. I can’t see anyone playing the judge, big boots to fill!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

…there will have to be a fair few compromises to make it into something that will be visually acceptable to audiences.

There are too many scenes that would be ruined by having to gain the nod of approval from the censors…

Tree of dead babies?

Comanche attack?

The bit where the pack mules and their quicksilver flasks are edged off the path into the canyon below.

etc., etc.

Daniel
    Free Member

I found myself hooked from the opening shot. Stunning. Loved the dialogue too.

mikey74
    Free Member

… by saying ‘audience’ I was implying the censors as well.

…and what about the imbecile? I can’t really imagine anyone putting that character in a film and getting away with it.

noteeth
    Free Member

I can’t see anyone playing the judge, big boots to fill!

“Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent”

RealMan
    Free Member

All this talk about Blood Meridian makes it sound pretty tempting, might have to get that too..

mikey74
    Free Member

It is truly one of the most amazing books ever written, easily up there with the classics. It can be hard work at times, but the language and visuals are stunning, although this is spectacularly offset by the incredible violence: Don’t read if you are squeamish in any way.

Creg

Huh, I’d though that Llewlyn got him, not the Mexicans. What did I miss?

The pickup screeching away from the Motel made me think it was the Mexicans. I thought Shigur would have done it differently had he killed Lewellyn.

Im probably wrong though.

Simply brilliant film.

noteeth
    Free Member

might have to get that too..

Don’t miss the The Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing & Cities of the Plain).

I re-read White Fang (by Jack London) last night for the first time in about twenty years… made me want to read The Crossing again! The bit where Billy and the she-wolf make their stand is just breathtaking.

Terrydactyl

Agree with all the above. Would like to see it again or maybe read the book although I am told its a hard read due to southern diallect. Maybe theres more to the dream memory right at the end of the film.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I thought it was good enough to record.
    Sorry I have re addressed my previous statement

Very dull

I am genuinely interested, what type of films do you like Plumber? More to the point, What’s your fave?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Off to buy the book. I loved “The Road”, but haven’t seen the film, but I imagine this is similar in that there’s a lot of internal dialogue that is difcult to fully express in film.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘No country for old men’ is closed to new replies.