Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Night riding solo, Is it a bit risky?
  • c_klein87

Had my first solo night ride of the season last night, and couldn't help thinking to myself that it could be a bit risky, if a crashed or had a mechanical etc. I've ridden at night lots last winter and during races but just seemed more risky than before.

Smee
    Free Member

Depends if you go risking your neck or not. Just ride within your abilities and you'll be fine.

slowrider
    Free Member

i dunno about risky but its **** scary! i got spooked by a badger who i met on a singletrack blind bend, an owl swooping through my beam and a white stag on a high speed fire road blind bend.i have a strong suspicion they were all of the vampire variety.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Risky. No more risky than in daytime really. Just carry a phone and the usual spares / tools / emergency foil blanket.
    I find some solo night rides are more spooky than others. And some not at all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i was fine night riding in my local woods up here till my boss told me about some chap who was tortured in them there woods and has his balls cut off.

Tend to venture out in groups now !

Junkyard
    Free Member

No more risky than solo riding but clearly more risky than a group ride. I ride solo and in a group.Ride within your limits. Make sure your route is known by someone and do not vary from it.
    Ride within your limits did I say that you really dont want any kind of stack in your own and take a spare PROPER light and battery.

Jont-77
    Free Member

Done it quite often in the past, but as other's have said, it can be quite risky at times. The other month I was out late and everything was going fine till I was taking a short cut through a housing estate to get home. I was about half a mile form home, went to bunny-hop off a curb and the front skewer failed. First thing I knew was sliding down the road on my face!!

Luckily two friendly chaps appeared and helped me to search people's gardens for the AWOL wheel. Walked home definitely not right in the head (to this day I don't know which way I walked!) and wondering why drivers of cars were giving me strange looks till I looked in the mirror when I got home & saw the state of my face.

Lesson for everyone…. if you're going to ride on your own, make sure your bike's in tip-top condition, as you won't have your mate's with you to help fix mechanicals / pick you up off the floor and you might not be in a fit state to use your phone if you take a knock to the head! 😕

Keva
    Free Member

not really, depends where you ride I suppose, just don't do anything stupid. Take a torch so if you have to fix a puncture/mechanical you can do it by torch light and not risk running your bike lights down.

Kev

GW
    Free Member

way less risky than daytime riding.. I often don't even wear a helmet when I night ride locally

snowslave

In the unlikely scenario that you fall, are incapacitated, and unable to get a phone signal etc, it might be reasonable to assume it will be longer before someone discovers you at night. And in that time you might be eaten by werewolves, and spiders might crawl into your open wounds and lay eggs.

avdave2

Let someone know where your going and when you expect to be back if you are concerned.

skaifan
    Free Member

It can be a little spooky. Just dont ride outside of your ability and come equipped for an emergency, phone, tools and spares.

theotherjonv

WHAT THEY ALL SAY ABOVE – STICK TO YOUR LIMITS AND LET PEOPLE KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING AND WHEN YOU'LL BE BACK

(apologies just noticed caps was on and can't be **sed to retype)

As for the spooky factor. There's nothing there at night that isn't there in the day too. It's just at night, it's awake and it's hungry.

Lest
    Free Member

I ofetn find myself asking running through the same question to myself while on said solo night ride.
    Yes, I am more likely to be unfound until the next morning than when I ride late during the summer but, even in the summer it cannot be assumed that help will wander along.
    Most of the stuff we do in this lark, day or night has an element of risk and I comfort myself in managing the risk, mostly by regulating the extremity of the riding.
    I find I dont need to "rag it" as much at night anyway to get a good ride in …. unless whatever is behind me making so much noise decides to run after me which is not unheard of.

bigsi
    Free Member

Did one night ride solo last year. Came to a gate in a fence which divides 2 fields with nothing but a heard of sheep for company, unclipped and went through it making sure it was shut properly, got 20 seconds down the path and heard the gate slam shut……………. 😯

Never again 😥

snowslave

No way bigsi???? where was that?

simonm
    Free Member

I did my first solo night ride the other week in Sheffield… only to see six other blokes during the ride doing solo night rides in Sheffield !

bigsi
    Free Member

South Downs near Worthing.

Lest
    Free Member

OOOOO! LOL bigsi! that a bit close to home (SDW Harting etc) I will be heeping an eye out behind me!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It all in your head – any solo activity can be dangerous – why should it be more so at night? Usual rules – let someone know where you are going and when you are due back.

Ride within your capabilities

chakaping
    Free Member

Only done a couple but have really enjoyed them.

Knowing the risks and adjusting accordingly is part of the fun, surely? Bit like riding somewhere remote solo in the daytime.

With the nights drawing in I'll hopefully be able to do more early evening night rides.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

its a RUSH! :mrgreen:

snowslave

Well you think that's bad, check out what we saw at the top of the beast one night ride…

Yep…….

An actual ghost

samuri
    Free Member

sorry, but there's a lot of victims of society here. People used to wander around by themselves all the time for months on end with no bad things happening to them. Really, you'll be able to go on a thousand night rides by yourself with no ill effects. Even if you fall off, you'll scrape yourself a bit, oh no. Cripes, if it gets really bad, you'll maybe break a rib, or an arm even. YOU'RE NOT IN THE **** ANTARCTIC, YOU'RE IN BARNSELY, OR CLEETHORPES, you're three miles from the nearest macdonalds!

If you've not guessed, I ride solo at night all the time. I don't believe it carries any additional risk than riding alone during the day or going out for a quick pint. No, actually, I'm going to call people's bluff. if I go out for a quick pint I expect the chances of me getting my head kicked in or a glass in my head are slim but are still massively higher than me falling off my bike on a solo night ride and hurting myself to the point where I cannot get myself to civilization so I die.

Take a phone, or for christ's sake, live a little.

juiced
    Free Member

Ride well within your limits and let someone know what time your likely to be back.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Did a few in Dalby last year.. Was "interesting"..

I always end up riding a bit quicker, only beacause "they" are watching you.. 😉

Garry_Lager

It's not the same risk of coming off as riding in the daytime IME – surprised to see people say that. Maybe it's my lights, but my view is a lot more flattened under the torches, it's harder to judge depth and I've come off a few times on inconsequential stuff that I wouldn't even notice in the day.

That's not to say you shouldn't ride solo at night – you should, it rules. Just be careful – advice that it's just the same risk as the day is bollox IMO.

twohats
    Free Member

My last proper solo night ride earlier this year ended minuets into the ride with a rear blow out, split rear rim, a high speed trip over the bars at over 30mph, trashed helmet, two sprained wrists, massive bruising and skin loss on my left hip and a huge hole in my calf muscle, just because of a slight lapse in concentration on a trail so tame that I ride my road bike down it during the day! Luckily I was only 10 mins from home and very painfully I limped out of the woods and got home before my leg and hip seized up.

samuri
    Free Member

people riding offroad crash all the time, it's a risk of riding around on unconditioned trails. Yeah, there will be a few instances where people can say they had problems but really, find me someone who has died when riding solo offroad at night and I'll call him a liar and challenge him to a fight!!!

plumber
    Free Member

I'm with samuri on tihs one

Its a bike, its at night, not really a big deal is it?

Unless your mum took you to school in a chelsea tractor then probably you should stay on the sofa

Plum

Dancake
    Free Member

I love the night riding bit, but get a bit tetchy loading the bike back onto the car in a pitch black deserted car park with imaginary muggers hiding in the shadows…

D0NK

Solo night ride checklist

Take lights – check
    Bike in tiptop condition – sort of
    Inform someone of your route – errr
    First aid kit and space blanket – um..
    ride within your limits…..
    Sod it, it'll be right, just as long as I can outrun the mad axe murderer that turns up on the quiet, still nights. (why is it the demons never turn up when its blowing a gale and pissing down?)

terrahawk
    Free Member

I'm not a big fan of riding on my own at night because it's normally colder and damper than it is in summer, but I have to do it otherwise I'd never ride. So I do it 4 nights a week.
    I'm not dead, I've met some weirdos and once or twice I've pedalled like f*** becasue I was sure that someone was about to chop me up.
    But all that is in the mind really.

samuri
    Free Member

becasue I was sure that someone was about to chop me up.

If only you weren't so darned quick I'd have managed it by now.

tracknicko
    Free Member

have done a few when i cant get a group together. seen some awesome things. imagined some much scarier things!

used to go out with ipod on too, now theat's freaky. cant see OR hear what's sneaking up on you in the dark.

best thing i saw was 3 lads on their weekly night DH session in wharnecliffe! good times. though freaky to see them streaking through the night from a distance!

Shandy
    Free Member

Just take it steady and concentrate on your riding. Be prepared to imagine stuff and have a laugh about it.

There is an emergency filter for DX lights. If you crash you just point it into the sky and it projects a massive batman-style beacon. Within seconds whole teams of bike nerds turn up with flasks of tea and a stretcher whittled from nearby saplings.

footstomper
    Free Member

way less risky than daytime riding.. I often don't even wear a helmet when I night ride locally

You must be fookin crazy 😯 I know 3 people personally that have come off their bikes and smashed the helmet to bits (would have been their head if not for the helmet). Its not worth the risk even in daylight.

As for the initial question only do trails you know when on your own then there will be less chance of coming across something unexpected.

Speshpaul

In Feb on one sunny sunday morning i had a silly little off and broken my left tib and fib just below the knee. Still being repaired now. it was the first nice day we had had for a while, i was with 2 mates and there was lots of people about on bikes (thanks to all that helped.)
    Whilst in the ambo i can remember saying toe the paramedic, but i rode the same trail at 20.30 in the rain by myself on thursday night.
    It would have been a longer night.
    But hey s**t happens.
    I know some else who's night ride ended when the woke up in the woods at 06.30 missing their front teeth.

But will i ride again in the dark by myself -probably.
    But make sure you've got your phone a torch and a whistle where you can reach them.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Its spooky lets be honest and when its just you and the dark woods its difficult to keep the imagination/fear factor in check. First time I did a solo night ride was a Macc Forest/Cat and Fiddle loop, and during the final couple of miles through the pitch black forestry plantations I saw a ton of light…and the first think i think is 'shit, the local Satanist's are out doing something bad and are gonna chase me forever like in the film "Race With the Devil"…not 'oh its a late night logging operation' And do you know what? it was the local Satanists…probably.

rkk01
    Free Member

This time of year my commutes turn into solo night rides…

Sometimes you get spooked, and it is worth taking a bit more care and ride within limits etc.

The main risk is if incapacitated and getting cold. We all think we are tough etc when riding, but there is a big difference between being hot with exertion on a night ride and soon finding yourself shivering with cold trying to fix a puncture – all because you kit is sweat soaked and your no longer generating heat through exercise. Factor in an injury…

…but as said, same can happen daylight solo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Night riding solo, Is it a bit risky?’ is closed to new replies.