Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • NIGHT RIDES
  • chief31
    Free Member

DOES ANYONE RIDE AT NIGHT AND WHERE WOULD BE GOOD FOR A LESIURLY RIDE IN THE DARK.

DickBarton

YES, wherever you ride now…

lucien

As per DB

loum
    Free Member

AS LONG AS YOU KEEP SHOUTING, THE BOGEYMAN WON’T GET YOU 😉

chief31
    Free Member

?

Pook

Where do you normally ride in the day?

You’ll find it’s completely different at night – things come at you faster, the trail looks completely different and you notice so much more – including the Blair Witch that is chasing you at all times……

One of the finest things you’ll do night riding. Great fun.

chief31
    Free Member

Thanx Pook. An answer I understand. Not sure what the others meant.
    We normally ride joydens and scadbury park. I’m asking only because there’s only 2 of us
    and I’ve never done them in the dark and wondered about unsavoury characters
    I.e. poachers and baiters. Thanx for any info you’ve got.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m fairly local to you (Farnborough Village) and have ridden most of my local trails at night.
    I’d say start off with somewhere you are familiar with and just give it a go.
    I doubt you’ll run into much trouble in Scadbury Park!!

mrmo
    Free Member

I.e. poachers and baiters. Thanx for any info you’ve got.

use common sense, i have riden through woodland and heard lead tickling off the trees around, something that isn’t the best experience i have had. Normally no problems though.

Liftman

Chief31 on the Internet when you type in CAPITALS it means you are shouting 🙄

Don’t worry the more you come here the more we can teach how to use the Internet 😛

chief31
    Free Member

mrmo? U mean lead as in pellet gun.

chrisdw
    Free Member

d4
    Free Member

Joyden’s is fine in the dark. There’s a lot from here there quite regularly. Search Joyden for a thread.

mrmo
    Free Member

mrmo? U mean lead as in pellet gun.

No, i mean lead as in the shot from a shotgun, not pleasant hearing the crack and then the tickle as the shot falls around you.

lucien

If more than one person riding at night, it’s best to turn rear lights off (ie red ones) until you are back on the road

chief31
    Free Member

So should I take offence to that then as I’m 40 this year and been using
    the net since the day it was avalable. I’m aware some people take offence
    to using capitals but there are many better ways to air your views on in
    instead of getting people’s backs up from the off.
    If someone is offended by something it’s much politer to just say what the problem
    is rather than put something down that really doesn’t mean anything but also may be
    offensive right back.
    Maybe just my views but if people are straight with me then vise versa.
    We all are learning day by day by people older and younger and anyone who
    doesn’t need to learn is worth knowing in my personal opinion.
    Anyway back to the subject in hand. It would be great to meet up with some
    old hands at night riding and chat. We are planning to do the L TO B night ride in may.
    So want a bit of training. Thanx to anyone.

Liftman

You are gonna fit in well around here :mrgreen:

rOcKeTdOg

A might touchy methinks, don’t take offence, we’re all riders in the bike forum (keep away from the chat one)

Night riding is ace, what lights you using?

loum
    Free Member

No offence meant chief. I certainly didn’t take any offense from yor post.
    Just a gentle joke connecting (what I assumed to be) your broken caps-lock, and night riding. like pook says,

the Blair Witch that is chasing you at all times……

Sometimes text banter doesn’t come across in the same way as its intended, hope we haven’t got off on the wrong foot.
    Anyway, back on topic, best place to ride at night is somewhere you know already. As mentioned above, it brings a new experience to your own trails but you certainly don’t want any nasty surprises- no unexpected deep holes or big rocks to smash your bike into. You don’t want any mechanical probs at night. On your own and you start to see things closing in on you: with your mates and they won’t thank you waiting round for you to fix it.
    Most of all- enjoy and good luck.

Pook

You know when you night ride – what hides in those dark bits behind the rocks and roots as you ride towards them?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Yes. Everything feels so much faster,and you’ll get a better sense of your/your bike’s limits. Also, it’s just damn good fun.

scruff
    Free Member

REMEMBER- THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING BEHIND YOU.

takisawa2

Welcome. Yes, really enjoy it. Usually a very slight tinge of sadness when the clocks go back, but it soon passes… 😀

Can highly recomend one of these…CLICK
    Very good as a head torch. Me & a couple of mates are using them. Seem ok, well for little over £30 anyway. Stuff from their Hong Kong warehose can take weeks to arrive, but ordered one for my mate last Wed from the UK warehouse & it arrived Sat am.

Best advice…just get out there & ride.
    And take this mad house with a big pinch of salt. 😉

Weasel
    Free Member

I’m local in Orpington and am a ride leader for a club in Hayes http://www.bigfootbikeclub.org/ , we do night rides on Tuesday’s and looking at getting Thursday nights started up again.

Average ride is just under 2 hours taking in about 14 miles or so, including a stop for a breather, punctures, badgers etc.

And as all above have said, it’s great fun and has to be tried.

Have a look at the forum on the link for more details if your interested.

Andrew.

chief31
    Free Member

sorry to all if i offended but i prefer straight answers if possible.
    my lights are home made.
    car fog lights removed lense and 9watt (3x3w cree led’s mr16) fitted
    run off a 12v battery with 4.5ah at 20 hours. tested with one light when building and run for at least 10 hours and still showing 12 volts.
    need proper testing but light up the driveway fine.
    their the ones on my avatar.

chief31
    Free Member

bigG
    Free Member

Solo night riding is where it’s at. Riding with mates in the dark is lame and only encourages the wolves to hunt you.

chief31
    Free Member

chief31
    Free Member

elzorillo
    Free Member

You carry a 12v battery around with you?

chief31
    Free Member

its a small one out of an air compressor. about 5″

lucien

Garage is messy

Oh no, we’re being nice

elzorillo
    Free Member

Doesnt the battery weigh a lot to be carrying on a bike?

chief31
    Free Member

nah few pounds, good for weight training. i could do with sum extra help getting fit

Free Member

There are a group of us riding in Joydens most weeks in the evening if you want to join us to try out riding at night

chief31
    Free Member

sounds good. what sort of riding is it sourious drop the hammer stuff as ive been ill a few years back and never managed to get back to full fitness plus the bad knee im pretty much falling apart at the mo. wont stop me doing the l 2 b tho.thanx by the way.

chief31
    Free Member

Well worth the climb to the top and a very enjoyable day out.
    If your looking to set times and have a race then forget it but if a few burgers and a good
    laugh is what you need then go for it.

Trimix
    Free Member

Is that you chief31 on the bench then ?

BigJohn

Was that pic taken in the day or your lights really really really bright?

v666ern
    Free Member

as for

unsavoury characters I.e. poachers and baiters

there like foxes/deer/badgers/wolves…there more scared of you than you are by them…and with those lights they’ll be long gone by the time you get there 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘NIGHT RIDES’ is closed to new replies.