Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Night out in Dumfries?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Heading down to marthrown of Mabie at the end of Feb for my stag do. Just wondering what Dumfries is like for a night out either friday or saturday? Are we likely to get our heads kicked in? I assume theres no clubs, or god forbid, strip bars?

Smee
    Free Member

You're looking for Chancers mate….Or perhaps not if you value your life.

rOcKeTdOg

there's 3 greggs, make of that what u will! 😀

Smee
    Free Member

They are all ridiculously fit too. Well they are if you take the number of tracksuit wearers into account.

organic355
    Free Member

there's 3 greggs, make of that what u will!

Lots of fats lasses then, ideal!! 😀

organic355
    Free Member

The tag line of the club is "Chancers for Dancers and Hopeless Romancers"

oh dear!!

Sticky carpet sounds nice too!!!

BoardinBob

Just wondering what Dumfries is like for a night out either friday or saturday?

firestarter
    Free Member

we used to stop there quite often when i was rigging up in scotland i liked it. lots of slappers out in witherspoons on curry night and only got involved in one dispute. ah them were the days 😉

mos

Ah, them were t' days.
    Trek up to AE forest for dh practice saturday, out on the hoy round Bumfries sat night Lashed up on Wee Beastie in souter johnnie's, then back up to AE forest on a sunday morning for puking at the top of the uplift & a stab at a downhill race.

OldJimbo
    Free Member

Strip club! ha ha that is funny. A trip to Greens on St Michael street (my local), then into the "Globe" on the high street, Weatherspoons then end up in Jumpin Jaks. sorted

hainey
    Free Member

Its pretty rough. Just don't open your gob and you should be ok.

Kit
    Free Member

From the town, but rarely went out. Some pubs you should go to for the "experience" such as the Lyver… SimonRalli will be along in a bit to tell you to go to the Hole i' th' Wa' (Hole in the Wall) which does karaoke on a Saturday night. You might even see him there:

Simon Sings Wonderwall

tiggs121
    Free Member

Just in case you do go and open your gob – the hospital currently has a few wards closed due to an infection. This might be more dangerous than the kicking you'll get in the town.

My advice – avoid!!

There is a nice wee coffee shop down a street from the pedestrian area to the river.

Trekster

I take this lot out around Dumfries at least once a year

The new "in" place is the Granary.
    My tour can include;
    Greens
    Lyver
    The one across the road which has changed it`s name.
    Weatherspoons
    Hole in the Wa(after 11 when it "warms" up!! )
    Globe
    Slipstream
    Barrel
    White Hart
    Bizzare if you fancy some real/special /cask ales
    Queensberry, the other "trendy" new bar in town.

For eating;
    cavens on Buccleugh St is a walk in and wait pub of the year place. Is v-busy Fri/Sat nights. good pub grub.
    There is a new and v-good Indian just up the street. Booking essential.
    Everywhere else you will need to book at least 2wks ahead.
    Only places I would avoid are pubs down the Vennel. esp near the bottom.
    Loadsa Chinese and another good Indian on St Michaels St along from Greens. 1 pizza place at the back of Greens if it has not been flooded again 😕 again a v-busy place and would need booking in advance.

Chancers is as described above, manky, ruff etc, etc. But gotta be done 😈

Assuming you will need taxis to get you there and back I would advise booking your taxi asap and be there for pick-up, they will not hang around. they are not keen on going out of town on a Fri/sat night due to being busy late on, closing time for clubs is 3ish am.

btw..need a local to show you around the good bits 😉 ❓

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Chancers!!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Been out in Dumfries 5 or 6 times and never had any trouble in pubs, bars or clubs. Usually a good laugh. Mind, we were with Trekster, the Godfather…. 8)

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oi – I met my girlfriend in Chancers – a lovely lass. Then the day I finished with her I went for a pint at the Hole in the Wa and met my next GF 😀

Trekster seems to have laid out a good plan. Sometimes at The White Hart you get amazing little live bands. There was one lad on guitar and another on bongos last time I went and the singer was just excellent.

Anyway, I have only ever met great and friendly people in Dumfries. Although I hail from Galloway I have a very English accent but I get people coming up to me if I go in on my own and sometimes even buying a drink and you never get that down south I feel.

So yeah, it's great for a night out but you'll probably want to end up at Jaks and not Chancers! I am down south right now but you may catch my friend KJ who often does live sets at the Hole.

organic355
    Free Member

Trekster (or anyone else that knows)

All sounds good, just wondering what these other places are "Everywhere else you will need to book at least 2wks ahead"? They must be decent if you need to book that far in advance.

Are any of them any good? I assume they are more posh-nosh?

Perhaps i shouldnt be too bothered, god knows what i will be wearing, they probably wont let me in in a mankini will they?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Night out in Dumfries?’ is closed to new replies.