Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Night boarding!
  • Stripe
    Free Member

Last year i had a few jars of the black stuff in an Irish Bar and decided to board down the mountain at 3am a little worse for wear. But – what an experience – no lights, in the dark, really hones your skills!

This year i'd like to do it all over again – but a little earlier, plenty soberer, and with some bike lights for a fuelled adreneline rush.

Question is – whats the law in France on this type of night activity??

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Meh, just go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

Stripe
    Free Member

Well i know your on your own basically – all the piste patrol gone home – so if the worst does happen……

Really going to give it a go – doing it leathered last yr was a real buzz – just wondered where the law stood on the matter. (cant afford to have 200 euro pass lifted)!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

FAIL

No lifts.

Stripe
    Free Member

Valid point…..

Except there is such a thing as Radonee…. Basically hiking up to the top then boarding down.

BUT…. and i'm not a lazy man, but hiking up 1500-2000m at night is hard work, soooo…. we booked a hotel at the top with its own uplift every half hour.

Loverleeeeee….

Stripe
    Free Member

Still…..

Where does the law stand on this?

Is it legal or are the French likely to heve your balls in a sling ?

juiced
    Free Member

I would only stick to the piste's though. And never alone.Plus I wouldn't venture too far.Wouldn't have thought that the Resort are interested. However your insurance may be. We have done this as part of a fondue night ata resturant up in the hills. Came down holding flaming real fire beacons. About 300 people. Was an organsied regular theme.Plenty of alcohol been drunk too.TBH though it was only the nursery slope. Nothing too demanding.

Stripe
    Free Member

Nah…..lift up – board down….only way to go. Will be a lge group of us so will be safe, but legal?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Dunno about France, but we used to do it quite often when I lived in Zermatt. Wait for a clear, full moon, last lift up and wait in a mountaineering hut with a few cocktails. Then just ride down in moonlight.

I'd guess there's no real legal issue, and who's gonna catch you anyway?

epicyclo

Better to ask forgiveness than permission 🙂

mustard
    Free Member

concretecoronett peak in Queenstown NZ does it every Wed(?) night with flood lights on the snow guns – it was ace and really does improve your riding as you just have to react to the ground under you in a way you don't in daylight.

langy
    Free Member

See no problem as you are not camping so the permits etc that you need to do that won't be valid… As long as you stay out of any Enviro areas (like the chicken run off the back of Les Arcs) then it'll be fine too.

If you stay to the piste, remember to keep an eye out for piste bashers and snowmobiles though; once lifts are closed and they don't expect much traffic the speed goes up etc compared to daytime ops.

I used to do dawn and dusk patrols regularly when I was living in Colorado; gotta skin or hike though – it's part of the experience!

juiced
    Free Member

yeah the piste bashers go up when light falls.

Burts
    Free Member

I have nothing useful to add, but here are some nice night boarding photos to help with the inspriration.

Stripe
    Free Member

LOL @ Epicycle……

Nice pics – but really want to do it in darkness, get the old in built night vision going.

Thanks fellas.

Theodlite
    Free Member

Quite a few people go out skiing in Chamonix feb/mar/apr durin full moon if its clear, either out to the huts or a hike up the piste.

Have boarded the pierre ric at 1am with a headtorch. Was fuelled with 1664 after carrying a few up to the mid station. Happy days

Coleman
    Free Member

Wow! this is a wierd thread. Just get on and do it if you want to.

If all goes well, you'll have had a great time.

If it goes wrong, the press will have a field day and we can all read about it!

Stripe
    Free Member

Will post how it goes….

Happy days!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Night boarding!’ is closed to new replies.