Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • NHS Physios
  • idontlikechips
    Free Member

does the stw hive mind know whether I have to get a referal from my GP to see an NHS physio or if I could just book an appointment?

If I have to go and see my GP it will take 5 or 6 appointments for him to actually decide to refer me.

peteimpreza

A good GP will have one at the surgery which he can refer you to directly.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A "good" GP might work from a small surgery where an in-house physio would not be justified peteimpreza.

Kuco

My GP has no physio and to get referred was going to take 6 weeks so in the end I paid privately. Though i'm seeing the NHS A&E pysio wednesday.

tails
    Free Member

idontlikechips don't bother, not worth the wait, you will more than likely wait over a month to see someone who i'm sure is of a good standard but will just give you some home exercises then can't see you again for another month or two. If you can, pay to see someone, but prob worth visiting GP first unless you know what the problem is.

anagallis_arvensis

tails, just to add balance after my hip op I had an excellent physio who I could call for advice and book appointments whenever I felt I needed it. As for normal everyday injuries I'd go to GP and hope for the best but see a private physio in the meantime.

Del

don't bother, not worth the wait, you will more than likely wait over a month to see someone who i'm sure is of a good standard but will just give you some home exercises then can't see you again for another month or two.

hmm. physios deal with muscles, their interaction with the joints etc, and the way that they support them, don't they?
    sorting muscles out usually involves doing exercises and stretches of some sort. would you expect to revisit the physio every day/week so they can watch you doing the exercises they prescribe and pat you on the head when you're done? or would it be more sensible for them to demonstrate the exercises you need to do, then reasses you in a few weeks?
    my experience of dealing with nhs physios arose from a broken collar bone, but i know three socialy as well, and although some obviously have more time and patience than others, they do a very good job IME.
    afraid i can't help the OP. i believe there can be a certain amount of 'self refferal', but don't know the details. i'd recommend the nhs direct phone line, as they will certainly be able to advise on how best to access care that will be appropriate ( again, very good service IME ).
    hope you get sorted.

crazy-legs

Depends on your situation. Sometimes it can take a few visits, other times you'll be referred straight away and without knowing more details it's impossible to say.

As a (slightly smug) aside, my gf is an NHS physio so I get free private preferential treatment without referral from GP! 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘NHS Physios’ is closed to new replies.