Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New Years Resolution – Dedicated Single Speed – Now which one?
  • letmetalktomark

Evening Folks,

Been debating for ages about changing one of my rides over to use as a 69er SS but after more deliberation/indecisiveness I am going to go dedicated SS for 2010 🙄

The plan is rigid but the rest is yet TBD.

So then any recommendations – open to all suggestions…….

26''/29''

Off the shelf or custom build.

Quite like the Singular Swift but read the frame is heavy?

So then…..what be your thoughts??

Cheers,

Mark

(pics are much appreciated 🙂 )

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not a swift…

But have to say, I'm very, very, very tempted…

http://www.singularcycles.com/gryphon.html

letmetalktomark

Being dim here……

Based entirely on the pictures isn't it a Swift with drops?

gee
    Free Member

29" – It suits SS really well as it rolls over things a lot better than 26".

Why not try a scandal – cheap and cheerful – and buy a nicer one if you like it? If you do like it, have a look at a Salsa Selma.

GB

epicyclo

letmetalktomark – Member
    …Quite like the Singular Swift but read the frame is heavy?

It's heavier than a Scandal, but when you build up a bike the frame weight is just a proportion of the overall weight. The handling makes up for it 🙂

Also the fork is very good, but you could save some weight by replacing it with a carbon one which will save you about 250 gms at a cost of £125, but you could recover some of the cost by eBaying the Singular fork.

BTW the Gryphon is like a Swift but with geometry for a non suspension fork. The Swift geometry allows for those people who may wish to put a heavy soggy maintenance-requiring vibration absorber on the front 🙂

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

If you're going 29er then have a look a Niner Bikes, either the One 9 or S.I.R 9 for SS, or carbon if you can afford it!

singlespeedstu

BTW the Gryphon is like a Swift but with geometry for a non suspension fork.

And a shorter top tube a allow for the extra reach of a dropbar.

The Gryphos ride very well indeed.

letmetalktomark

Cool.

Like the look of the 853 framed Niner but possibly at this stage beyond my budget 🙁

Are there many Swift riders on here?

Hornet600
    Free Member

Cotic Simple with a carbon fork up front

letmetalktomark

Oh forgot to say would prefer steel.

walla24
    Free Member

voodoooooo wanga 😀

Sam

Swifts are not that heavy, around 5lbs for the frame depending on size. As above, that's less than a quarter of your overall build weight (Steve Webb was 2nd solo at dusk til dawn on a Swift frame). There are a number of Swift riders on here, a search should turn up a number of them.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Sanderson soloist or Genesis io cos you won't have cable stops or any means of attaching a mech hanger therefore you have to go expensive hub gears if you change your mind. (and then you won't!).

JRTG
    Free Member

if you can find one of these yu are in for a treat!

AJ
    Free Member

your not ruling out custom, but a niner is out of your budget? what yo bin on the loopy juice?

epicyclo

walla24 – Member
    voodoooooo wanga

Nice bike, but watch out for cracking at the front of the chainstays.

letmetalktomark

AJ – Member

your not ruling out custom, but a niner is out of your budget? what yo bin on the loopy juice?

No loopy juice….yet.

Just meant either buying a complete bike or a frame and fork and building up to my own spec.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New Years Resolution – Dedicated Single Speed – Now which one?’ is closed to new replies.