• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New XT-XTR weight comparsion (chainsets)
  • coopersport1
    Free Member

For those weenies out there, for comparison on my digital scales my XTR 30/42 chainset (WO BB) came in at 635g the new XT double 26/38 came in at 712g. Only 77g difference for a couple of hundred £ extra. Diminising returns and all that!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Not really like for like though is it. Smaller rings on the XT

PJM1974
    Free Member

You could probably make up the difference by shortening your gear cables a bit and with a few weeks wear and tear on your tyres.

I used to draw the VFM line at XT, however in the light of recent price hikes it’s looking a lot more like SLX these days.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Not really like for like though is it. Smaller rings on the XT

2g differnce in rings

At the end of the day I use what I can afford, biggest weight saving I can make is around my waist 😉

andypaul99
    Free Member

its not all about weight on XTR, there is a difference in torsional stiffness, and of course always the notion of what if….?

legend
    Free Member

and of course always the notion of what if….?

what’s the current asking price for a replacement big ring? £120+?

coopersport1
    Free Member

Just replaced a big ring on my XTR and it came in at £70, I was suprised and impressed! The inners are only about £27. They do have the annoying 88bcd on the Race ones though that has led me to ordering a custom ring for when I use it in single ring 1×10 configuration. Not many options on that.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

The new XTR looks mint – the new xt looks w@nk.

You pays your money etc etc

br
    Free Member

Previously for XTR M960 vs XT M760 (both triple’s) I found that while the difference with Shimano rings was 100g, once Middleburn ones had been installed on both it was only 50g.

And my XTR M960 with 3 Middleburn rings and Ti bolts weighs 709g – so that would make a 74g saving for the twin-ring, but then need to add the extra weight of a 10-speed cassette. Mmm, XTR 10-speed 11-36 = 272g vs XTR 9-speed 11-32 = 221g.

So 74g saving and need to add 51g – all in 23g saving going from XTR 9-speed to XTR 10-speed… Think I’ll stick with my old-fashioned gear.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New XT-XTR weight comparsion (chainsets)’ is closed to new replies.