Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New whisky Sunday
  • willej

Took advantage of a 20% off voucher from Waitrose today and bought a bottle I’ve wanted for a while. Can’t see any of my other bottles getting a look in for the next few months!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/u1QHkd]_20150607_220821[/url] by Will Jenkins, on Flickr

Anyone else bought any interesting bottles lately?

peteimpreza

Which cask is yours from?

willej

50, the latest one. I looked at all the bottles on the shelf and there weren’t any older ones.

justatheory
    Free Member

Abunadh is a lovely sherried whisky and its strong enough to take quite a bit of water so good value too. I visited Arberlour a couple of months ago and treated myself to their 16 y/o sherry cask, which they let you fill from the cask – bloody lovely it is.

I’ve got a Penderyn peated and a Benromach 10 at the moment that I’m really enjoying along with the staple Old Pulteney (bargain at £23 from Sainsbury’s). We should set up a whisky samples exchange thread 🙂

peteimpreza

I have 49 and a 50. Both lovely tipples but I slightly prefer the 49. A little smoother.

If you like Abelour I would also suggest you try the “standard” 12 year old. Very rich and smooth.

tragically1969
    Free Member

The “standard” Aberlour is a 10 isn’t it ?

peteimpreza

I was referring to standard strength.

I am definitely referring to the 12 year old.

dantsw13

I’ve been spending a bit of time in Japan recently, and done some “research” on their whiskey.

I’m trying to track down a bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 21yo which retails over here for £100+ but sells in Japan for @£20!!

High end Japanese whiskey is in limited supply out there at the moment as it’s popularity has soared and supply is low.

cozz
    Free Member

Im most the way through a litre of Aberlour 15

won’t be the last bottle of it I buy

very nice

however the aberfeldy 21 is even nicer !!!

peter1979
    Free Member

I got given a Suntory Yamazaki distillers edition for my birthday (i wish it was a 12 or 18 though). Finished off an Aberlour a’bunadh 49 recently. My favourite this year has been glenfarclas 15. So many good whisky’s, so little money to buy them with!
    Prices for whisky are crazy at the moment!

cozz
    Free Member

actually, there are 2 times a year when whisky is cheap

xmas, and now ,, all the special offers for fathers day

loads at tesco are £8- £12 of a bottle, and some really good ones

got a bottle of anc noc from tesco, very nice

Edric64
    Free Member

A mate gave me a shot of 21year old Bushmills which was bloody lovely and very nice of him as its £100 a bottle and was a 40th birthday present.

justatheory
    Free Member

Tesco in Manchester had several bottles of Yamazaki 12 left at £40. I noticed they are going for £100+ online so I bought the lot! Japanese whisky is very good but expensive. Yoichi is a particular favourite.

For the people enjoying Arberlour give Glendronach 15 Revival a try, very nice indeed.

justatheory
    Free Member

Highland Park 12 is only £20 at Ocado. Use the sign up voucher and there’s a serious bargain to be had.

slowoldman

Friend came back from holiday in the Outer Hebrides with several bottles so I had a “New Whiskey Saturday Night” followed by a “Sunday after New Whiskey Saturday Night”.

RichT

I’ve just got a Gordon and Macphail Highland Park cask strength which is pretty special.

The Waitrose own Islay 12yo is also surprisingly good (Bowmore?).

The sampling swap is a great idea – I’ve got some little sample bottles I could use.

Also, I have lots of the Arran Founder’s Reserve. So if anyone has an interesting bottle e.g. that Yamazaki (or bike bits) to swap, let me know.

convert

Can’t see any of my other bottles getting a look in for the next few months!

Months? MONTHS?

This is clearly where I’m going wrong – they don’t last 2 weeks when open in this house 😳

Denis99
    Free Member

Aberlour 10 year old

£18 in Morrisons Neath.
    Regards

Denis

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

I have an unopened bottle of Laphroaig Diamond Jubilee whisky in the cupboard which is apparently 1 of 3000 bottles.

Does anyoine know how I should be storing this so it doesn’t go wonky?

justatheory
    Free Member

Whisky keeps quite well when it’s unopened. Cupboard will do fine.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

FWIW – Old Pultney £24 and Aberlour 12yo Doublewood £27 (the standard 10 yo’s pretty disappointing IMO) in Asda

ski
    Free Member

I have an unopened bottle of Laphroaig Diamond Jubilee whisky in the cupboard which is apparently 1 of 3000 bottles.

Does anyoine know how I should be storing this so it doesn’t go wonky?

As long as the cork seal is good, as mentioned a cupboard out of the sun will be fine, plus,(you probably know this anyway) store it upright and not in a wine rack 😉

dantsw13

So, my Japanese whiskey quest has come up trumps!! I’ve just returned from Tokyo, and the DF shop in Narita Airport has just been restocked with the whiskey I’ve been after – the Nikka Taketsuru 21y/o. I’ve seen it online in the UK for £140 – I paid £27.80 including my 10% airline staff discount!! Sipping a glass right now to help with my jet lag. It’s working 8)

willej

Little PSA: Laphroaig Select only £25 in Tesco, £16 off. Not tried it yet but will later :o)

portlyone

Ardbeg, creamy

Ledaig, 2000, Cask 61. Tasty

vorlich
    Free Member

Sheep Dip proved popular on a recently bothy trip. Bottle now arsed, no idea how much it cost, as it was a gift. Highly recommended though.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Just back from Islay with a bag full of “souvenirs”. Interesting few months coming up.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New whisky Sunday’ is closed to new replies.