Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New to Shimano brakes question
  • ononeorange

As a confirmed Hope brake man, I bought an ex-demo bike that came with Shimano SLX brakes – I obviously don’t know their age. I have ended up grudgingly quite liking them, but changed front pads recently and ever since the lever has been a bit “floppy” and will quite often go right back to the bar and do nothing until I pump the lever.

Is this likely to be air (I reckon so)? Is it the end of the front brake if so or can Shimanos be bled? I have avoided them for so long owing to the stories of “if anything goes wrong they need binning”. Sorry for the basic question but really don’t know anything about the blighters.

therevokid
    Free Member

my slx didn’t even need a bleed when i shortened the hoses and
    have been perfect ever since. All shimano are (from past experience)
    a doddle to bleed so try that first.

used these … http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/shimano/complete-kit/

ononeorange

Ah! So they can be bled! Many thanks therevokid. And I even know that they are post-2012 from your link.

Cheers

devash
    Free Member

Definitely sounds like they need a bleed, and yes they are super easy to do.

I’d recommend the Epic bleed kit over the Shimano funnel / pipe. There’s a couple of extra steps but you get a much better bleed from Epic’s method.

ononeorange

Ordered!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New to Shimano brakes question’ is closed to new replies.