Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • New Stealth TT build…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

My almost finished new Planet X Steath…

Done fairly cheaply for a TT bike thanks to planet x’s current bargain deals and my spares bin. Steerer obviously still needs cutting, and once I’ve faffed about getting the setup right the stem will be changed for something that doesn’t weigh a tonne. Also rear wheel will be changed for a disc soon. That said, without tubs, chain, cassette and pedals this is 15lbs 12oz.

Happy with the Medium size too. At 6ft I did have a worry when I saw that I only had 30cm of seatpost to play with but it looks like I’ll have it at about 27cm. And the bars are about where I want them.

Can’t wait to get out there and ride it now 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

what are the wheels ?

headfirst
    Free Member

Leave steerer as it is and use it as a chin rest?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the bars are where they need to be or where you would like them to be…..

that looks comfy for about 5 minutes – even with me being flexible as hell….

mrblobby
    Free Member

I went for the un-decaled Planet X 50/50 carbon tubs. Pleased with them. 608g and 866g according to my kitchen scales. Will be swapping the rear out for my powertap hub with an aerojacket initially, then a proper disc at some point.

wwaswas

there’s only 3cm of seatpost in the frame? or max of 30cm out?

Good to see the patio being protected with a towel, abrasive things bike tyres 😉

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Looks fast standing still! Why not put another rest on the steerer for your chin 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

the bars are where they need to be or where you would like them to be…..

that looks comfy for about 5 minutes – even with me being flexible as hell….

The bars may come up a little bit, but bars and saddle are roughly where I want them. It does look a bit steep but it fits me. My summer road bike isn’t too dissimilar and that’s fine for several hours!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I like the chin rest idea 🙂

Good to see the patio being protected with a towel, abrasive things bike tyres

No tyres on at the moment and I didn’t want to scuff the nice carbon rims!

trail_rat
    Free Member

wwaswas clearly missed the part about no tubs fitted….

which means abrasive patio on expensive carbon ….

retro83
    Free Member

Looks nice.
    For the uninitiated, how much faster are they along the flat than a normal road bike (for a given effort)?

mrblobby
    Free Member

For the uninitiated, how much faster are they along the flat than a normal road bike (for a given effort)?

I’ll let you know 🙂

Get a good position and all the other aero clobber (suit, helmet) and can be a good 5 to 10 mph quicker. Really depends on conditions.

wwaswas

It’s probably best to look at it as ‘number of watts required to maintain a given speed’?

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s probably best to look at it as ‘number of watts required to maintain a given speed’?

Yeah, that was a guestimate based on riding at around my FTP wattage.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks ferkin uncomfortable 😆

Glad I’m not following on behind you, pfftttt.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s a TT bike so comfort is low on the list of priorities 🙂

pingu66
    Free Member

Shed and fence need some attention.

Ooh nice bike as well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bikes get much more attention than the shed!

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

It’s a TT bike so comfort is low on the list of priorities

You haven’t done this before have you!?

comfort is key for the ability to put out high wattage constantly.

unless you’re Mr Spaghetti, a drop that large may only be for short 5 mile sprint tt’s. good luck on 25’s!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah that’s only an hour 🙂

The bars do actually have to come up quite a bit. Stem on there is set to about -30 and I’d actually have it closer to zero. Most of the measurements are based on my road bike in TT mode which has been fine so far. I’m not worried. I’ll admit that it does look a bit odd but then I suspect I have long limbs and a short torso as the drop from saddle to bar is pretty huge on my road bike too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A quick update in case anyone is riveted by the saga of my bike fitting. Just spent about an hour tweaking with the position and taking photos to see if it looked reasonably aero-ish (I can see myself being tempted by a wind tunnel session!) Seat went forward about 10mm on the rails. Stem adjusted to about -5. Shall swap it for a fixed one that’s about that and about 10mm shorter. All day comfort 🙂

Only thing I’m not too happy with is the fitting of the garmin speed/cadence sensor. Want it to sit just about where the fin on the chainstay is and that’s just an awkward fit. Anyone got a good solution to this?

glupton1976
    Free Member

That position looks bloody horrendous. Good luck trying to get some good lung volumes on the go.

warton
    Free Member

It’s a TT bike so comfort is low on the list of priorities

If you’re not comfortable, a 25 becomes living hell.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seriously, the position is fairly similar to my road bike with clip ons in terms of drop from saddle to bars, which I had been getting on with just fine. If anything I think it’s better for lung volume as the saddle is further forward due to the steeper seat tube. Time will tell!

I was being a little flippant with the comfort comment 🙂

Edit: As an example here’s my turbo setup, there’s a good 20cm saddle to bar, and I’m happy on that for hour after mind numbing hour…

Double edit: Have you guys all got really short shoulder to elbow measurements? I do have long monkey arms.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Edit: As an example here’s my turbo setup, there’s a good 20cm saddle to bar, and I’m happy on that for hour after mind numbing hour…

You don’t ride your road bike with your elbows on the handle bars though do you?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    what are the wheels ?

They’re the big round black things with the metal spokey starfish bits.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You don’t ride your road bike with your elbows on the handle bars though do you?

I do ride with my forearms fairly horizontal most of the time so probably not too far off. Anyway, shall use it for it’s intended purpose soon enough 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i didnt ask where ….. i asked what ….

nice try though.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I do ride with my forearms fairly horizontal most of the time so probably not too far off. Anyway, shall use it for it’s intended purpose soon enough

That’s not what i asked. You probably do not steer your road bike with your elbows.

garage-dweller

Looks mental to me but then i have a gut, a long body and t-rex short arms. 🙂

TiRed

Please flip that speed sensor down if it can possibly fit inside the chainstay. Offends my purist sensibilities. Looks dreadfully uncomfortable to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Please flip that speed sensor down if it can possibly fit inside the chainstay. Offends my purist sensibilities. Looks dreadfully uncomfortable to me.

it cant

i had to fit mine in the same place with sensor up … fannied about with it for ages – either it hits the crank and clears the spokes or hits the spokes and clears the crank

you can mount the whole unit underside but it looks even worse .

damo2576
    Free Member

I really need to see you on that!

richardk
    Free Member

Given how far back your saddle is, you may have been better off with the large frame to get the extra length in the top tube. You’d have been more over the bottom bracket then with the chance of a more open position (not scrunched up). Not just saying that because you didn’t buy mine either 🙂

By strange coincidence, it looks like you may have bought my old road bike… I’ve never seen another one like that Puegeot. Is it a 56cm frame? with Campag 6 speed?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes offends me too when I see it flipped up! As trail_rat says though, it doesn’t fit. I think you can get separate speed and cadence which apparently are a better fit.

Given how far back your saddle is, you may have been better off with the large frame to get the extra length in the top tube. You’d have been more over the bottom bracket then with the chance of a more open position (not scrunched up). Not just saying that because you didn’t buy mine either

I really wish I’d posted a photo AFTER I’d done a bit of proper fitting, other than just a rough tape measure job. Saddle has gone down and forwards, bars have come up quite a bit!

I really need to see you on that!

There is usually someone taking photos at our TTs so I should be able to oblige 🙂

By strange coincidence, it looks like you may have bought my old road bike… I’ve never seen another one like that Puegeot. Is it a 56cm frame? with Campag 6 speed?

That pug was my second proper road bike. Brought from new at Alf Jones’s cycles in Wrexham circa 1987. I think it is a 56, but Shimano 105 7 speed.

irelanst
    Free Member

Before cutting anything I would do some power measurements if I were you.

When I was at uni I managed to blag some time in a wind tunnel. I could get my back very flat which lowered the drag but it also dropped the power quite a bit mainly because it was difficult to keep my arse on the saddle, all the weight was going through my arms. By lifting the front end it put more weight onto the saddle which felt more solid and I could output more watts which overcame the increase in drag. Also because my back wasn’t as flat I found that angling the tri-bars up so my hands were level with my chin helped reduce drag and was better for me at realistic speeds (flat arms was better at 40mph+), all years before Floyd Llandis started doing it!

Non of it helped me crack 20mins for a 10 even on V718 when the container ships were unloading though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant see your pad width from the angle of photo but another thing i see alot is folk trying to lower their frontal area by putting the pads close as possible – I have noticed and through experiance noted that as long as they are within the confines of my hip bones im not creating extra drag BUT i am opening my chest up to allow more air into my lungs.

Even the old school guards stopped trying to lick their front tire years ago once it was proven that it wasnt the fastest way.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ve done a fair bit of fiddling with position on the turbo with power and have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn’t for me. Interesting comment about angling up the tri bars, may give that a go.

Trail_rat, I’ve actually moved the pads out quite a bit from when I first started out. There’s about 18cm between the middle of each pad which seems to work better for me (though I do have quite narrow shoulders and hips.)

flange
    Free Member

Hold up – that seat post is actually in position? I thought it was just put in the frame in a ‘I’ll put it here so I don’t kick it round the floor of the garage’ style. You’re actually going to ride it like that? Man alive, fair play to you!

Apart from the position it looks lovely. I had a Stealth for a bit and first time out (literally the first time I’d ridden it) did a PB for a 10 (22.01 in case you’re asking). That was with MTB lid and SPD’s…..I wasn’t particularly popular with the TT old guard…They’re a really nice bike and noticeably quicker than a road bike

Is that a disc wheel in your Turbo bike?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I really must post a photo post-tweaking! Seat has gone down and forwards, bars have come up. Seatpost was set to min insertion in that photo, it’s now gone down about 35mm.

The turbo bike has a powertap wheel with an aerojacket cover on it that I had been using for TT duties. I’ll get a proper disc at some point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘New Stealth TT build…’ is closed to new replies.