Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New rim or new wheel – QR vs 20mm vs Whats tis going ot cost me?
  • tron
    Free Member

I’ve finally killed the front wheel that came with my Inbred.

It’s got a Planet X Dog hub, which I understand is a DMR Revolver with a different name on it, which is still in perfect nick.

Being a waste not want not sort, I’m inclined to get a Mavic 521 rim put on the existing hub and spokes – the spokes will be a little long, but it shouldn’t be problematic.

I’m conscious that the cost of the LBS stripping the wheel, plus their markup on a 521, could be quite dear, particularly if they also insist on new spokes.

I’m also conscious that a lot of forks now use 20mm axles, and that a new set of Hope Hoops could be converted to 20mm at some point, whilst my Dog hub can’t.

At this point, I should probably state that I like kit to last ages, so my point of view is that I’m extremely unlikely to mangle a 521, rather than that I’m Captain Radical from the planet Gnarr. And I tend to buy second hand open bath Bombers, as they last forever.

Anyone got any ideas? Are we going to see QR forks become obsolete in the near future, thus cutting off the supply of cheap forks for me? Is a rebuild going to be approaching the £90 cost of a new front wheel?

tron
    Free Member

Someone must have some idea! Am I going to shoot myself in the foot by going down the QR only hub route?

si-wilson
    Free Member

QR forks become obsolete in the near future,

probably.

Sell your hub and buy a new wheel? difference in price will be the cost of a rebuild anyway i would think.

curvature
    Free Member

You could take the wheel apart yourself very quickly.

I would use new spokes as a matter of course so I would take the wheel apart and sell the hub.

Then buy a complete wheel

tron
    Free Member

I’ll see if the LBS quote me happy tomorrow morning.

Do Hope front hubs burst / break axles or is that just the rears?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New rim or new wheel – QR vs 20mm vs Whats tis going ot cost me?’ is closed to new replies.