Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • new portable espresso gadget
  • somafunk

I recently succumbed to a drunken purchase of a wacaco minipresso machine and it arrived this morning, to be honest i wasn’t expecting it to work that well but i’m pleasantly surprised by the espresso it manages to extract (freshly ground beans of course) – it’s not that much off a faff to prepare and it all fits together very well.

Should be a nice addition to an overnight bivvy/camping trips.

Quite compact when assembled

Disassembled view showing espresso cup, group head, basket for ground coffee, pump section, water container and scoop that sits inside.

Decent crema from the extraction.

Quite impressed but we’ll see how it holds up to repeated use.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Looks good ! Would be very useful on a boat too.

boblo
    Free Member

That looks ace. Bit big for backpacking mind…

onandon
    Free Member

Looks like a faff compared to a handpresso.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite like the look of that for a holiday espresso solution. Some good comments over at home barista too. Where did you get it from?

somafunk

Yeah i agree it’s a bit of a faff but anything could be considered a faff compared to using instant coffee and a mug, though it satisfies my need for for buying rather pointless gizmo’s 😉 , and it’s slightly smaller in dimensions than a 500ml water bottle.

I bought it direct from the website link above, it took 10 days to arrive and no apparent custom charges.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds good. Assume ground and not pod version?

somafunk

You can buy two versions, one for grounds and one for pods.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sorry, I mean that I assume you got the ground version and not the pod one.

manages to extract (freshly ground beans of course)

Ah, yes 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Somafunk… prompted by another thread and me quite fancying one of these… how you getting on with it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    somafunk

It’s been used a fair amount without any probs so far, been away with me for a fortnights holiday, a few music festivals and beach parties and it gives a decent enough espresso – folk generally take the piss out of me for buying it/carrying it (nothing new there) but they soon want an espresso when i’ve brewed one for myself 😉

To be honest i’ve only used it a few times on overnight bike trips as i prefer a decent (mugsize) amount of coffee to sit and admire the view or hide/take shelter in my tent when it’s pissing down.

When i’m bikepacking i take a
    montbell drip filter and support it with a couple of twigs over a cup – it’s less faff to be honest – weighs a few grams, it ain’t espresso but get the grinds right and it will make a decent coffee.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘new portable espresso gadget’ is closed to new replies.