Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New pedals, has it ever been tried before?
  • stevemtb
    Free Member

Completely random idea we were just talking about at work and wondered if it’s ever been tried…..

Pedals that clip in using magnets. Unclipping would either have to be a stronger movement to disengage or a remote release button.

Don’t think it would work for serious cycling (sprints would be pretty rubbish with the force being put through them probably disengaging it) but instead of toe clips or as an introductory clipless pedal it could be interesting. Should also be a lot easier to get out of it in a crash (unless it’s the remote button to disengage in which case it’s gonna hurt, a lot!).

Onzadog
    Free Member

You could use a magnet that was half north and half south. Once you rotate enough, the magnets would push apart helping to release.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    wwaswas

Put electro magnets in shoe and a button on the bars to switch them on/off?

or maybe a switch on inside of heels to do the switching by tapping on crank arm in a ‘I wish I was in Kansas’ kind of way?

robinbetts
    Free Member

Interesting idea, I’ve never heard of it being tried. I would have thought though that if the magnets were strong enough not to release when riding, then they would be even harder than spds to release when you want to. Personly the only times I’ve ever not unclipped have been very low speed, topple to the side situations. Never had a problem with feet getting suck when coming off normally.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Mavic’s offering looked good initially, but what happens when it gets muddy…?

xcstu
    Free Member

whats wrong with a good old fashion spring?? buttons to release your feet!!! eek

stevemtb
    Free Member

Thought it must have been tried at some point.

Couldn’t see if being used by anyone who was already used to clipless pedals on road but for off road I’d guess they’d be more likely to release in a crash and could be a great way for beginners to get a bit of confidence clipless.

Not sure how the muddy thing would work but they’re obviously flawed anyway or it would’ve taken off!

It would certainly allow a lot more standard mounting, ie shoes need one type of magnet, pedals need another meaning one set of shoes becomes a lot more versatile. Flats could easily have a magnet built in allowing a magnet + pins combo depending on shoe choice.

aP
    Free Member

The original Onza elastomer pedals were good, right up until the elastomer went solid in cold weather and you broke your ankle trying to clip out unexpectedly.

tf
    Free Member

I recall a pub discussion about this at some point, someone thinking they had this brilliant idea to patent then they came across the Mavic EZ Ride. I don’t know if there is much mileage in it though; for it to be of real value the magnet would have to be strong enough to allow you to pull on the pedal, which I suspect is too strong to make it much better over the normal spring design.

Mackem

Be damn heavy wouldnt they? And what crap would you have on the bottom of the shoes after wandering around a car park?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Didnt speedplay do something like this about 10 years ago.
    Or did I imagine that? 😕

stevemtb
    Free Member

Could be absolutely hilarious if it did catch on with a magnet in the shoe to see a whole bunch of riders stuck to a metal floor they were trying to walk across. Or 3 professional riders stuck to a metal podium!!

wwaswas

on a steel frame you’d have to work extra hard to get the pedal past the stays and frame tubes too – would make for a lumpy stroke.

bigjim

I’m sure there was another one before those MAvic ones, years ago. if you have a spare hard drive handy, take it apart and have a play with the magnets from inside – they are something else, takes some serious force to seperate them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Comine

You could use a magnet that was half north and half south. Once you rotate enough, the magnets would push apart helping to release.

with a metal hoop, so the magnet in your sole just engages the hoop, which could have mega effective spring tension, but as soon as you twist your foot the magnet repells the ‘spring’ and the whole lot detatches?

7hz
    Free Member

Heavy?
    Can only lock in on one side, other side repels?
    Random nails / screws / metalwork sticking to shoes / pedals?
    Not strong enough to pull up on, or if strong enough, too strong to clip out safely?
    Bike gets stuck to car / fence / other bikes?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Put electro magnets in shoe and ….

…power the magnet with a dynamo!

The harder you pedal, the stronger the retention. Easy disengagement as soon as you stop too! Say goodbye to those embarassing traffic light topples with the new dyno-mag pedals!

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Magnetic force would have to be greater than the driving force of your feet to hold your foot on when pedalling. By this token, the force would be too great to safely remove your foot – unless it was possible to modulate the force in some way… i.e. electrically.

So, now you are looking at heavy batteries, and heavy electro-magnet coil windings on the pedals, plus some kind of electrical contact bushing between the crank and bottom braket.

Good Luck.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New pedals, has it ever been tried before?’ is closed to new replies.