Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New one one inbred
  • wolly
    Free Member

Does my new one one frame need the bottom bracket and steerer tube facing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best done on all new bikes really

bencooper
    Free Member

Head tube, possibly 😉

Yes, all new frames should ideally have this done.

somafunk

You’ll get some folk on here who’ll say “I’ve never had a BB faced or had a Headtube faced or reamed and i’ve never had a problem blah….blah waste of time”, then again you’ll get folk like me who say it’s a pretty much essential job to do on every new frame if you want the Headset cups/BB to fit correctly first time and continue to work without any issues.

Junkyard
    Free Member

With a high quality frame i would not bother

Your choice on whether you think on one are high quality with good QC

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ll let Somafunk answer that one 🙂

Northwind

Just to be awkward, I tend to chase any paint off the threads and the ends of the BB shell, but I don’t usually get them faced- I can do this for free after all 😉 The good ones shouldn’t need it, and the bad ones will still be bad.

somafunk

Hmmm, I wasn’t going to raise it yet again as folk will be bored regarding my posting of it…..yawn….. 😉 but what the hell Ben, why not eh? 😀 …..it may provoke a bit of debate regarding whether or not frames should come reamed and faced from the manufacturer, especially if they are sold straight to the public unreamed/unfaced which renders them unsuitable for intended use.

Scroll halfway down post to see expensive Ti frame needing faced/reamed/threads chased before being in a suitable condition to build up

wolly
    Free Member

I expected an explosion of this sort of thread after the recent on-one sale

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I would say it had nothing to do with quality etc some need it some don’t. Just did the missus blur ltc done when we built it. Just better to do than no have done really. But we had access to a bike shop to do the build. Most mechanics probably wouldn’t fit a headset and bb without facing.

somafunk

To be fair to On-One/Planet-X, at the very low price point they were punting out the discounted frames a few days ago folk shouldn’t have any gripes with paying their local bike shop to do this job for them, or if On-One were to offer this service before hand for an £30 on top of the frame price perhaps they could make some extra profit on the frames.

If i bought a frame for £99 i doubt i’d expect it to be faced/reamed/chased etc….

Northwind

TBF, a frame should be fit for purpose. There’s an argument that perfect BB facing and chasing isn’t essential, as long as the BB fits, but if a headset or seattube, or wheel or important bolt doesn’t fit then that’s just not made right IMO.

belugabob
    Free Member

What about when you change the BB on a built up bike?
    It had a BB fitted in the factory, so shouldn’t have to be faced for a new BB – do they treat these frames differently to frames they sell individually?

Also, does facing a steel frame make it more susceptible to rusting?

Stoner
    Free Member

pfff, it’s all your own fault for using obsolete bottom bracket technology.

Square Taper Rools sheeple!!!! 😈

bencooper
    Free Member

TBF, a frame should be fit for purpose.

Frames are fit for purpose, but to assemble them properly requires the shop to do the final finishing stage of reaming and facing the interfaces before fitting the parts.

The problem is when you buy a frame from a shop that doesn’t know how or can’t be bothered to do it.

Leku
    Free Member

I think it depends more on you. If you are doing a cheap hack build and money is tight, then don’t bother. If it’s a nicer built and money is less of an issue (or you are just a bit OCD) then sure.

I had one and didn’t face it. It worked just fine and headsets and bottom brackets lasted just as much as my other bikes.

Great little frame.

takisawa2

I’ve bought a few On-Ones & never had any of them faced. Never had any of my other bikes done for that matter. 🙂
    I always drop a vernier on beforehand just to be sure though. I did take the paint off the BB face on an Inbred once.

Northwind

bencooper – Member

Frames are fit for purpose, but to assemble them properly requires the shop to do the final finishing stage of reaming and facing the interfaces before fitting the parts.

The problem is when you buy a frame from a shop that doesn’t know how or can’t be bothered to do it.

Or, you don’t buy it from a shop, which is what’s mostly being talked about here I think.

Though it shouldn’t be up to shops to make up for manufacturers’ poor QC and tolerances. You don’t expect to have to chase out the threads on a set of cranks, or bore out a stem til the bars fit.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, yes, that’s the problem. Manufacturers assume that their frames will be sold through a proper dealer network, so the shop will do the final finishing. That’s the way it’s always been done.

What’s new is people buying frames direct, either straight from manufacturers or from online retailers, so that stage gets missed out.

It’s nothing to do with QC or tolerances – I build frames which are very, very accurate right out of the jig, but they still need the head tube reaming and facing, and this is done after they are painted of course.

Northwind

bencooper – Member

It’s nothing to do with QC or tolerances – I build frames which are very, very accurate right out of the jig, but they still need the head tube reaming and facing, and this is done after they are painted of course.

And how is that nothing to do with quality control and tolerances, if they’re shipping parts with paint where it shouldn’t be, or even metal where it shouldn’t be?

Obviously manufacturers are delighted to push part of the process onto shops and customers rather than doing it themselves.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, there are two reasons I can think of that manufacturers don’t do it:

1. Because it is the final finishing stage before fitting the headset, it makes sense to do it right before the headset is fitted.

2. Because this is how it’s always been done.

timbur
    Free Member

Never done it, never knowingly had issues.
    Maybe I’m lucky.
    Tim

(steel, ti and ali)
    Just for balance and the like :O)

ski
    Free Member

Built up five inbreds in the past, none needed to be reamed or faced.

That’s not to say your frame might need it doing though 😉

jonba
    Free Member

Built up five inbreds in the past, none needed to be reamed or faced.

The last one I built up didn’t get faced but the BB exploded and hit a child in the face. You wouldn’t want that would you?

nickc

Waste of time, but if it makes you feel better, knock your socks off

BB shells, don’t need facing BTW, the threads keep it straight, not the face of the shell. On the headtube, pfffft .

compositepro
    Free Member

Are you going to smash the headset in witha piece of wood and hammer , if so just skip it

fattyre500
    Free Member

Find a good local bike shop and just take it in and ask.You’ll find the folk at these places are not the money grabbing monsters that they’re made out to be and building up a good relationship with them is a good thing. If your frame does need doing it won’t be that much and it’ll only ever need doing once.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It doesnt need doing. Don’t listen to the people who tell you it does, according to them, the world should have ended ten days ago.

Leku
    Free Member

Does On One face their frames before they build up a frame?

I could see more of a reason for doing it if they do…

TrentSteel
    Free Member

no, no, no, no, no, just build it and ride

bencooper
    Free Member

And we’re back to the regular service 😉

ads678

Bought one a couple of months ago. Boughr the headset from OO so had them fit it as well. Didn’t bother getting the bb shell faced though. No problems yet. Personally think its a load of bollox myself, but thats just me….

fenred
    Free Member

I felt ream after building my 3rd inbred…I was so chuffed with it I then went and got proper faced!! 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New one one inbred’ is closed to new replies.