Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New MTB race format – OrientBeering
  • Ben_Haworth

In addition to the “official” XC, Downhill and Trials parts of the Weekender competing we’re going to be doing some additional “just for fun” optional mini-events to keep people entertained during the latter stages of Saturday.

The first of these mini-events will be the Polaris OrientBeering Challenge. Basically, it will involve navigating your way from Lee Quarry over to the not-that-far-away Cragg Quarry.

Once you’ve found Cragg Quarry you’ll have to locate a orienteering punch, punch some holes into your raceplate with it, return to Lee Quarry alive and go to the Polaris stand to collect your delicious liquid prize.

Orienteering with beer. What can go wrong? 🙂

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011/05/shimano-singletrack-classic-weekender-orientbeering/

epicyclo

Ben_Haworth
    …Orienteering with beer. What can go wrong?

This is kindergarten stuff.

You’re supposed to drink a can at each checkpoint in Orientbeering (and have several checkpoints). 😈

tazzymtb

as epicyclo says, it’s been around for ages and is jolly good fun 😀

epicyclo

I have owned the http://www.orientbeering.com site for the last few years, but haven’t done anything with it.

Is there interest in real orientbeering?

DezB
    Free Member

Have I just read a post stolen from the BigBikeBash?

allthepies
    Free Member

You’re supposed to drink a can at each checkpoint in Orientbeering (and have several checkpoints)

+1

C’mon STW get wit da programme.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Have I just read a post stolen from the BigBikeBash?

How long has the Real Ale Wobble been going as well?

sc-xc

Is CTBM not a proponent of this activity?

charliedontsurf

I invented that around 10 years ago:
    Checkpints with beers: crap lager in the valleys and quality ale on the hills.
    Extra points for bleeding and getting lost
    Points deducted per cog
    We had two world championships before deciding it was too dangerous to share with most folk.

Good luck guys

Ben_Haworth

I don’t think we’re claiming that the format is entirely original. Apologies to those who have taken any umbrage though. The whole point of the Weekender is featuring as many types of MTB competing as possible :]

epicyclo

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    …We had two world championships before deciding it was too dangerous to share with most folk…

We ran a couple in Oz. Loads of blood, people doing jumps whose wheels had never left the ground before etc.

Came to the conclusion it was a brilliant way to train able-bodied people for the Paralympics.

If anyone wants the orientbeering website, I’m happy to transfer it. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

I did one of CTBM’s orienbeerings a decade or so ago, pretty sure someone snapped a frame hitting a ditch or waterbar (and possibly won a frame for his troubles) and everyone went straight for the remote points with the best beer 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New MTB race format – OrientBeering’ is closed to new replies.