Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Merc
  • oldgit
    Free Member

They must have a loyal following is all I can say.
    Trying a C200 2.2CDI and I can’t wait to take it back.
    Perhaps it’s the auto box with dreadful lag, no better in ‘sport’
    Or the noise both road and engine.
    Was never a fan of lorry steering wheels in car either.
    But the speedo, why is it not marked with 30/50/70? just a poxy 1/2″ pointer that jumps from 20 to 40 to 60 to 80.
    Always wondered why Mercs slow down to a halt at speed cameras.

Though superbe on an un involved drive.

donsimon
    Free Member

So, you got a Merc then.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Funny you say that. I find the same re road noise in the parents e350 coupe.

But lag it does not – shifts like shit off a shovel 🙂

Ps it shifts better if you treat the accelerator rough – stab it to the floor it will shift much quicker……

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anokdale
    Free Member

I have just bought a C180 Sport Blue Efficiency Sport, i test drove the C 220 but dont cover the miles to justify the extra cash but i thought it was a bit noisy compared to the diesal BMWs and Jaguar. The BMW was outstanding to be honest bu the extras cost a packet.

Happy with the C 180 though.

oldgit
    Free Member

So, you got a Merc then

No, I’ve actually ordered a 2.2 Civic anyway. Not the blingiest car by a million miles. But we got on very well, everything was just so.(for me)

bol

I’ve just ordered a B200 auto. The auto box in that is much nicer than in the C Class. It’s quieter too. Wont arrive until January apparently, so they must be selling plenty.

tonyg2003

Not all Merc’s are created equal 😀

I hope you are talking about getting the very newest shape Civic (’12) since the previously shape was one of the noisest modern cars I’ve driven.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes the new one.

tonyg2003

They are meant to be a much quieter / better ride than the previous one. Although the look is maybe a touch “aquired taste” 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I hope you are talking about getting the very newest shape Civic (’12) since the previously shape was one of the noisest modern cars I’ve driven.

The one I test drove wasn’t!

tonyg2003

The one I test drove wasn’t!

My opinion isn’t alome. Read a few reviews ….it’s one of the major upgrade areas for the ’12 model too…..

Whereas our Accord is very quiet 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Although the look is maybe a touch “aquired taste”

Ikea car.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not saying it was quiet… just that I’ve driven worse 🙂

AlasdairMc

I’ve just ordered a B200 auto. The auto box in that is much nicer than in the C Class. It’s quieter too. Wont arrive until January apparently, so they must be selling plenty.

Good shout. I’ve got a B180 (old shape) and really like it. Manual box though. It’s by no means the fastest car in the world, but it’s massive inside with plenty of toys and returns a good mpg. Have you specced Park Assist on it?

samuri
    Free Member

Whereas our Accord is very quiet

I agree. Our Accord with the same 2.2 diesel engine is incredibly quiet. 80mph on the motorway and you can whisper at each other and be heard. Far quieter than any of the Mercs or BMW’s I’ve been in.

timc
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    Our Accord with the same 2.2 diesel engine is incredibly quiet. 80mph on the motorway and you can whisper at each other and be heard. Far quieter than any of the Mercs or BMW’s I’ve been in.

lol @ you, no way is the accord quieter than a 3 series, my family have both for the record…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Trying a C200 2.2CDI and I can’t wait to take it back.

Well there’s your mistake you went for the underpowered version. I’ve got a C250 which is nice and quiet, quieter than the BMW 320d had before, and has so much torque it never has to get above 2500rpm. I’ll give you the slow auto box but again not so much of an issue with the C250 becasue it hardly has to change gear. Did you test the sport version? Although I reckon it handles better than a BMW 3 series the ride is too harsh and very un-Mercedes like and the standard suspension isn’t that far behind handling wise anyway.

I’ve never found the speedo to be at all unusual or had any sort of issue with it at speed cameras or anywhere else.

Edukator
    Free Member

tonyg2003

We have a MK VIII 2.4 petrol accord. Very quiet but not quite as quiet our Merc but both are very refined. The only Honda negative is just the value of the yen makes (UK built) Hondas pricy at the moment.

roady_tony
    Free Member

had a 250K petrol, lovely engine, car fell apart, constantly back to the dealer for this and that. hated it in the end. made a massive loss on it.

best car I ever owned – Toyota Supra TT, owned for 3.5 years, hardly spent a penny on it (apart from FUEL, eeek 9mpg sometimes! oh and rear tyres)

bol

Have you specced Park Assist on it?

No, I’ve got it on my current car and never use it. The rear view camera though, which I also currently have, is specced, and a lot more useful from my experience. The one I tested seemed plenty fast enough, and sounded really nice for a diesel.

bikebouy
    Free Member

For us our Prius is out and this will replace it. Test drove it today and it’s most excellent.

surfer
    Free Member

I have just bought a C180 Sport Blue Efficiency Sport

Me too, its as smooth as a very smooth thing with smooth bits on. The AMG kit is nice as well 8)

Always wanted one and got a fantastic deal, very pleased indeed!

bol

The lease deals on Mercs are just incredible at the moment. My B200 Sport worked out cheaper than a Yeti, and about £200 less a month than the similarly RRP’d Lexus.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bikebouy – like that. Looks a bit like a tarted up Auris, but sometimes tarting up is important 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Merc’ is closed to new replies.