Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Linux install – what programs do I need?
  • MrGreedy

Finally getting round to trying Linux and have got the latest version of Ubuntu up and running. What are the must-have programs I should be sticking on there? Recommendations particularly welcome for the best email client (have Thunderbird preinstalled – any alternatives?). I know security isn’t such a big issue compared to Windows, but should I be sticking some kind of AV and software firewall on too?

Gordy
    Free Member

Try Evolution or Balsa if you don’t want Thunderbird.

What sort of apps is it that you’re after?

redthunder
    Free Member

open office

xara

redthunder
    Free Member

you dont need a firewall or virus killer as linux is awesome 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

Banshee is a good iTunes-like music player/organiser.

And if you’ll be playing much in the way of films, then XBMC is a must have…

mogrim

Just get used to “sudo apt-get install <whatever>”, you’ll be doing it on a regular basis…

I like Ubuntu/linux, but when it comes to user friendliness Windows is miles ahead.

Edit: get VLC for films. And do a command line tutorial, learn ls / ll / pwd / top etc. You’ll get so much more from linux if you know this.

Russell96

If you do want an AV program for example you may receive an infected email without knowing it and then forward it on to windows user, then ClamAV.

For a firewall Gufw https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gufw

ubuntu-restricted-extras for various codecs, fonts and plugins.

If you have some must play windows games and you find using wine a bit of a faff then PlayonLinux is a great front end to wine to install/play such games.

edhornby

if you are on Ubuntu (precise pangolin yes? if not, get on that as it’s long term support so you get the updates) then you need to go and get the Restricted Extras, this gives you codecs for divx, mp3 and laods of other non-open source file formats

MrGreedy

Cheers folks, yes Precise Pangolin, have got the restricted extras and will give the other suggestions a look.

dobo
    Free Member

dont install very often so cant remember exactley

but i’ll usually need to install or update java, ssh, ffmpeg (compiled)
    latest firefox or chromium, serviio, subsonic, dropbox

also dont like unity and prefer a xubuntu install

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Linux install – what programs do I need?’ is closed to new replies.