Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • new laptop help
  • hooja
    Free Member

ooops cracked my screen….laptop is 3ish yrs old and getting slow, so im guessing im better buying a new one, instead of repair.
    Problem is the thought of spending £4-500 on a computer doesnt really excite me, id rather spend it on something else. Im also a bit of a luddite and dont really know(or care) what im looking for.
    Anyone know where there are any amazing deals at the moment? so at least i can get excited about getting a bargain…
    cheers all.

onewheelgood

there’s usually a reasonable selection of deals at saveonlaptops.co.uk – worth a look.

colande
    Free Member

asus £499 from comet

i bought one of these
    this seemed to have the best spec vs price,
    newer i5 processor
    and asus are supposed to have a good rep for reliability aswell

matt_outandabout

Typing this on Lenovo shiny shiny whizzy speed laptop – it is great once you uninstall some of the guff that lenovo insist on.
    i3/6gb/1gb video/640gb HD/built solidly for £449

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Bargains galore on Dell’s outlet site

New stock gets added between 3-3.30pm each day.

Should be able to get an i7, 8GB RAM, 640HDD for £500ish

Cougar

Cash Converters? Ebay?

On a three year old laptop the screen is probably the dearest component to replace, to a point where fixing might not be economically viable. That said, it might be worth investigating further if you can source one. Computers don’t “get slow” in any sort of permanent physical way that would necessitate replacement.

hooja
    Free Member

excellent, thanks all, i will check them all out…bought a comp from dell outlet site ages ago, didnt expect them still to do it, cheers for link.

aracer
    Free Member

New laptop screen ~£60 – well worth doing on a 3yo laptop. Getting slow – reinstall the OS. If you’re determined to get a new one I’ll have the old one off you for the cost of postage if it’s getting binned.

takisawa2

I’ve swapped plenty of bits, including the screen, on our old Dell Inspiron. The kids sent it off the dining room table once, snapping the screen. Got one off Ebay for about £30 IIRC. Got to be worth a look.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘new laptop help’ is closed to new replies.