Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • new drum kit
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

maple sounds so much warmer than birch. that is all

bearnecessities

Congrats, looks awesome!

john_drummer
    Free Member

sounds it too 🙂

NZCol

Beautiful.

Bazz

Your neighbours must be very understanding, deaf or far away from you 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s in the rehearsal room now. neighbours don’t need to hear it

it arrived yesterday like this:

and I had to build up the bass drum & two floor toms so I could use it in band practice later that day.
    I never play it in the house. Partly because it’s usually set up in the rehearsal room

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s a lovely finish, “wine burst” is the colour.

Odery are a Brazilian company, only two dealers in the UK so not well known yet; they’ve been around for just shy of 20 years – compare with 100 for Ludwig and I think 125 for Gretsch…

so I built up the kit to get the setup right on the rack toms & some basic tunings on batter & resonant heads. When I got it to the rehearsal room I fully expected to have to re-tune, but no, not necessary. Sounded fantastic “out of the box”.

My previous kit was a Mapex M-Birch in transparent black – a lovely finish but not a patch on this – but even with heavy duty pinstripe batter heads all round, it never sounded as good as this. Just the difference between Birch & Maple I guess

ads678

Very nice, lovely cloud, thought it was tabacco sun burst at first. Puts my cherry sunburst Premier XPK to shame. Never heard of Odery before, goes of to check out the web site…………

john_drummer
    Free Member

http://www.odery.com.br

I tinkered with the idea of the “magma burst” colour but on reflection I’m glad I went for this one

Fluence is their mid-range kit. The finishes on the Eyedentity range are even nicer, but I couldn’t get it in the two up two down configuration in this country at a price I could afford 😉

hi-hat stand isn’t as flexible as my Mapex one was – tempted to ring the buyer of my old kit & ask if I can do a swap! Legs don’t rotate so it’s awkward getting my double kick pedal in

prawny

Noice!

I’m limited to this these days

sold all my acoustic stuff last year after 5 years in the loft. I’ve been playing regularly this year for the first time in 8 or 9 years.

One day I’ll get a new kit, I’ll need a new house first mind, I tend to hit quite hard 😳

john_drummer
    Free Member

I had an Alesis electronic kit. Hope yours is nicer to play 😉

prawny

Probably not. But it’s better than nothing.

I’m going to start saving for a decent one, that lot only cost about £500 all in.

john_drummer
    Free Member

This kit was 650. Cymbals obviously extra. I have 4 or 5 cymbal stands left over from my old kit, good job really as this only came with one boom and one straight stand.

Predictive text eh?

prawny

Eh? Sorry have I made a typo?

For £650 that’s a lovely kit. My old Yamaha kit cost almost that and it was made from Basswood. It did sound lovely though after a couple of years. I really can’t justify a proper kit any more, I’ve got no spare space now the wife has filled the house with kids, and we live in a semi. I can’t be bothered to join a band either, guitarists get on my wick 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

no it was my typing on a smartphone. I had to edit that post about 5 times to get it to say what I wanted it to say

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

my neighbour has just recently got something similar to prawny. Initially he seemed to think it would be completely silent to neighbours until I knocked on his door at 11.30pm the night he got it and let him down gently. doesn’t sound that much different from what I could hear with whatever his set up was before. Luckily, he’s a decent guy.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I found with my Alesis kit, it was mostly quiet (well, as quiet as hitting rubber pads with a stick can be), but the bass drum on the floor may as well have been a full size acoustic drum. thud thud thud from the pedal through the floorboards. that was pretty much the end of that in the house. I think I used it 5 or six times in total.

1130pm is out of order though, regardless of whether it’s a full size acoustic kit or an electronic kit with the amp turned off

prawny

Yeah I’m fairly sure mine makes a bit of a racket, I’d not use it upstairs that’s for sure, it’s not too bad on the concrete floor downstairs. It doesn’t disturb the kids upstairs so hopefully it doesn’t disturb the neighbours too much, they’ve not complained yet anyway 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

In fairness, he’s always been very considerate, for a few years I had no idea as he only practised when my car wasn’t there. Then, when I stopped being away climbing most weekends, he had his kit heavily muffled and still only practised for short stints early evenings. I presume he spent a lot of money on this new ‘soundless’ kit or whatever it is he was waxing lyrical about (looks like prawny’s kit but I have no idea tbh), but reality is he’s still hitting something with sticks. Can’t blame him for new toy syndrome the day it arrived, but I made it clear sharpish that it wasn’t as soundless as he might have thought it was.

alexonabike

Ive just built myself up a little mini kit with an 18×15 Yamaha stage custom (birch) bass drum, custom AM Drums 12×5 16 ply snare and some 13″ Dream bliss hi-hats! Nothing more. I might add a K flat ride when I can afford it.

Its awesome!

john_drummer
    Free Member

sounds a bit minimalist to me 😉 (my last kit was 8 drums!)

mix of Zildjian Z Custom hihat/ride & Sabian crashes & FX. and one paiste that I’m not too keen on

souldrummer
    Free Member

Prawny what kit is that? I am searching for am electronic kit to set up in my cellar as a permanent practice set up.

John Drummer that is lovely. What heads are they using on it? Branded Ambassador clear??

I really need to get my big kit out again. Recently I have just been using a 4 piece kit but now I have got some new toms stands (my old ones got a bit rusty) it’s time to give all my toms (and cymbals)an airing!!

john_drummer
    Free Member

It’s not clear what the heads are but there’s a hint of muffling ring around the edges, and definitely 2 ply on the floor toms. Evans G1 / G2 perhaps?
    Definitely not Remo Pinstripes

I guess Prawny’s kit is a Yamaha something or other – hihat “pedal” has the 3 tuning forks logo

I would have loved a Mapex Saturn IV kit but that would have been £1350 for just the shells in that configuration. OK I didn’t need the snare (I have a Black Panther Machete as my main snare) nor the cymbal stands or kick pedal, but I did need a hi hat & snare stand. Would’ve been another £120 for those so £1500 all in, give or take. This Odery kit came in at less than half that…

does it sound as good as a Saturn? Well I don’t know, the shops won’t let you try unless you’re likely to buy…
    It does sound very good though.

prawny

Mine is an upgraded Yamaha 400k I’d reccommend at least the 450 though, the standard kick and hihat controllers are awful. It’s not the most amazing kit though, particularly the snare and hi hats. The cycmbals aren’t chokeable either. We bought it so the kids could mess about on it too, I’ve just been battering away at it when they’re in bed and the wife is out.

If you play a lot and want something good you need to spend about a grand for a half decent kit. I’d try some out properly first but mine is ok for a cheap muck around.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘new drum kit’ is closed to new replies.