Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 398 total)
  • New Doctor is a lady…
  • teasel
    Free Member

Look at that photo. Really look at it.

Okay, already.

But yeah, I looked and I kinda see a little bit of David Tennant*. Could be the slightly cocked eyebrow, perhaps the upper lip lift… dunno but something.

Don’t know why I’m responding to a **** mod, though. One of you guys sucks big time!

*Go on, Jamie. Do a quick overlay type of thing for me… 8)

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator
    Doesn’t she look like the Doctor?

Yes, I reckon so.

I’ve always had a positive attitude to new Doctors.

Would like to have seen more of Eccleston and Capaldi, bit less of David Tennant and Matt Smith, but that’s down to the writing, not the actors or their characterisations.

I’ve not seen Broadchurch, but liked her in Attack The Block, so I’m sure she’ll be fine, I’m looking forward to it.

None of the recent excellent characters are actually dead, so I hope he really doesn’t take a slash and burn approach.
    The Capaldi stuff was my favourite of the reboots for a while.
    Really nostalgic but extremely well done apart from a couple of dodgy endings.

Worth watching for the actors and the stories, even if you’re not really a sci-fi fan like us lot.
    🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

None of the recent excellent characters are actually dead, so I hope he really doesn’t take a slash and burn approach.
    The Capaldi stuff was my favourite of the reboots for a while.
    Really nostalgic but extremely well done apart from a couple of dodgy endings.

It’s winter here and I found NetFlix had it all up…
    So Eccleston – could have done 3 series easy
    Tennant – Should probably have gone one earlier but the ending with Rose was perfectr in the end
    Smith – tough gig and got into it by the end, again 1 series too long and some of the convulted stuff was either genius or contrived depending on how you were feeling at the time.
    Capaldi – Properly good actor took a while to gel but had enough eccentric and gravity that it worked

Of the companions it’s
    Rose
    Clara
    Amy
    Collection of the rest

See who jumps in the tardis next with her

RustySpanner

Agree, but no Bill?

I thought her and Nardole were amongst the strongest characters (and best actors) for ages, along with Missy.

#prayformissy

Bill of the original Doctors great grandchild, btw?

Kriss Marshall as an older companion would be fine by me, I can see that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No Bill as I don’t think she had enough of a run at it, Nardole was a nice but of continuity holding a lot of things together and nicely letting the stories unfold in different places, loved the episodes but don’t think they make the list for just 1 season

plumber
    Free Member

Tom Baker, but I doubt many here can remember back that far.

I remember his regeneration from the ‘real’ doctor Jon Pertwee

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Ah, Pertwee, a really odd character

My only question is… is she a decent actor?

By all the fluff shouted on here; doesn’t matter; she’s a woman!

And as long as she shouts “That Becka Fisher is a right slag” a la Broadchurch she’ll do alright.

DrJ

I don’t think Dr Dre is a real doctor.

Umm – I wonder if this is a good moment to confess something…

teasel
    Free Member

I remember his regeneration from… Jon Pertwee

Likewise.

“Would you like a jelly baby…?”

I_did_dab
    Free Member

K-9, the crap metal dog, came back in the Sarah Jane Adventures on CBBC FWIW. So it is still battling to save the earth from alien scum…

atlaz
    Free Member

And as long as she shouts “That Becka Fisher is a right slag” a la Broadchurch she’ll do alright.

She did a good job with a pretty bleak script for her character in Broadchurch.

CountZero

Ah, Pertwee, a really odd character

More camp than a Boy Scout Jamboree…

So Eccleston – could have done 3 series easy

Could have, but absolutely wouldn’t – he won’t have anything to do with any of the fan conventions or anything connected to the character.

My only question is… is she a decent actor?

She was good in ‘Attack The Block’, apparently very good in ‘Black Mirror’, and when Cary Mulligan fell ill during her run in ‘My Fair Lady’ she was asked to step in at almost literally five minutes notice, and carried it off, which really is a big ask of any actor.
    The point that many seem to be missing is that none of the actors playing the part since the reboot were household names, with the exception of Capaldi, who’s 😉 practically a meme all on his own, thanks to Malcolm Tucker.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator 
    Oh, thank you. That was my first thought and then I checked myself, “they’re both blonde women, stereotype much.” But they do favour, don’t they.

Out of interest, what’s her natural hair colour? The teaser has her blonde but different here and other pics.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/the-thirteenth-doctor-interview-with-jodie-whittaker

CountZero

Yeah, but Janeway was an insufferable stuffy school teacher character . All she did was moan a lot and say how disappointed she was with whichever crew member had slipped up that week

Never really bonded with Star Trek, but the reboot of Battlestar Galactica had several, Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck, Mary McDonnell as President Laura Roslin, Tricia Helfer as Number Six, Grace Park as both ‘Boomer’ and ‘Athena’.
    Katee seemed pretty chuffed about a female Doctor on Twitter, not that that matters to the bedwetters in the Mail and the Express.

kelvin

See my Starbuck link. It says it all. Screw the haters… and use them to build up the hype.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Could have, but absolutely wouldn’t – he won’t have anything to do with any of the fan conventions or anything connected to the character.

3 sides to every story? There was a more recent interview with him where he described the working environment as crap as they really didn’t seem to want him there.

bigrich

I see the daily hate mail and the scum have followed up their moral outrage at a female character by immediately finding and publishing a picture of her topless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps the only rational solution is to make sure that if you have anything to do with an article like that it’s a free for all on finding and publishing the most embarressing details of your private life.

teasel
    Free Member

I see the daily hate mail and the scum have followed up their moral outrage at a female character by immediately finding and publishing a picture of her topless.

That’s a bit of a shitty thing to do.

I’m not an avid reader of ‘news’ but did anything like that happen to Matt Smith or Capaldi? And I don’t mean topless, just dirt digging or shaming or similar.

I doubt it…

Tossers!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

the most embarressing details of your private life

But if you’ve got your top off in an acting job, a lot of people will already have seen it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the point though is it?
    As said what did they dig up on the others?
    Going with the sidebar of shame etc. These shits need a proper dose of their own medicine.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If they had pictures of Capaldi with his wee tinkle on show, my mind could have blocked it out.

DezB
    Free Member

They did this story on that Mash programme last night. Had a “spoof” Dr. Who fan saying how he was afraid of ladies. He was portrayed as a very nerdy individual.. funny thing was – he was nowhere near as awkward, nerdy and downright weird as the real adult Dr Who fan they had on the news the other day! How I laughed. Briefly.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What’s with “13th doctor”? I make her #15 counting John Hurt

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think he’s hit the nail on the head here:

He also said that he prefers the idea of the doctor as “a boy”, but conceded this could be because he is “a dinosaur”.

It’ll be controversial for all of five months, until after the xmas special when I daresay everyone will be completely cool with the notion of Jodie Whittaker in the role and we’ll all be looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Cougar

What’s with “13th doctor”? I make her #15 counting John Hurt

John Hurt is “the War Doctor” and (in plot) isn’t counted as it’s the one “I don’t like to talk about,” and (in reality) isn’t counted to avoid having to retcon the numbering of the others that have been the Doctor since 2005.

Who else are you including to get 15 rather than 14? David Niven isn’t considered canon.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Peter Cushing – and I don’t get why John Hurt isn’t counted. Played the Doctor, even if in an incarnation that didn’t get a series

DezB
    Free Member

we’ll all be looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Looking back?? 😯

Cougar

Pantalons, I knew that didn’t sound right. Peter Cushing, yes.

Like I said, it messes up the numbers that’d already been established. It’s simpler just to go “yeah, Doctor 8.5 then”.

Bear in mind that terms like “the thirteenth Doctor” aren’t used in-character at all, it’s almost exclusively used when discussing the show. I say almost because I know the Classic series’ Doctors used to have lines referring to how many times they’d died or how many past selves they’d had. Off the top of my head I don’t recall that happening in the New series, but no doubt if I say it hasn’t happened someone will prove me wrong.

Cougar

Spoilers, sweetie.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGDbeZ0HJBQ[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Peter Cushing – and I don’t get why John Hurt isn’t counted. Played the Doctor, even if in an incarnation that didn’t get a series

there was a count at the end of Matt Smith’s time when he got the boost of energy from the crack in time which reset his clock for regenerations – that was counting John Hurt but not sure on the others

Cougar

First post-announcement interview with JW is up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05br8l3

She totally doesn’t sound like I was expecting, I thought she’d sound like Posh Radio 4 Lady.

nuke

I’d have preferred if they’d gone for someone like Miriam Margolyes…reckon she’d be great as the Doctor. Still, maybe next regen

Cougar

Well, less than an hour till the bottom half of the Internet loses its shit.

Who’s watching, then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes hoping its a good one

Cougar

… without any tears?

Cougar

I’m ten minutes behind live broadcast as I’ve just rewatched the intro about six times…!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Missed the intro as I was fixing the tumble dryer. Do I assume I need to watch it? Should I stop now and go back to the start?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Enjoyed that one.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘New Doctor is a lady…’ is closed to new replies.