Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • New Car help me decide
  • will
    Free Member
    BadlyWiredDog

Mmm… another sexy estate thread. And as for Subarus, come on, farmers’ cars with a rally special to polish up the performance image 😛

But isn’t the bottom line that if you’ve driven around happily in a Defender, you clearly don’t give a stuff about the car’s dynamic qualities, so you can happily buy just about anything and be mildly impressed…

bernard
    Free Member

Ive had the freelander, defender and now have a freelander 2 (had to get rid of the defender when the kids arrived) also have a VW T5. You could combine and Get a VW T5 4 motion (4 wheel drive) depends on your budget. I’ve never had any complaints about any of them

flamejob
    Free Member

Allroads are becoming very tempting on the second hand market because all the middle class mummies are trading over to those awful XC90s

I’ve had a Series III and a Disco2 and found the fuel almost bank breaking, especially for raids into Wales, and I found it frustrating that there are so few places you can drive them off road (except in Mallorca; see below)

Despite the fuel thing I do miss the Disco; it was stolen.

stumpy01

Nissan X-Trail?

hora
    Free Member

Bloody ell! I bet your still paying off your fuel bill for the Mallorca trip 😉

Olly
    Free Member

“light” offroad?
    is this offroad that any old car could handle just fine?
    occasionaly mounting the kerb? :p
    farm tracks?
    as long as you stick with steel wheels and dont cane it, it would have to be considerably more than a rough track to stop most cars

why not consider an estate with air suspension and adjustable all wheel drive?

i think skoda do an octavia with suspension that can be wound up and down, and runs all the drive through the front wheels, until it starts to slip and then puts 40% to the back?

hearsay and fifth gear knowledge here, can you tell?

badbod99
    Free Member

I went for a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2L. Proper off-roader with low range, but still (relatively) comfy on the road. Does 90mph tops, but then, I never go over 70 with it, keeps the noise down.

Cost me 2 grand. Buy one, bank the other 4!

flamejob
    Free Member

hora you old jackal; my folks paid for that trip 😉

woody2000

Panda 4×4, job done

hora
    Free Member

The Panda is riotous fun in 1.2 form. Hugely fun as a holiday car. However the 4×4 Panda has a 0-60 of 4years hasnt it?
    If I dare stick my neck out…the true successor to the Mini

woody2000

18.2 seconds! But, that’s no doubt quicker than a defender! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I wonder what its 40-50 and 50-70’s are- I bet many have been splattered across the sliproad/third lane of motorways by trucks!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

[img]http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif[/img]

Dont think you’d get a panda down that. But i do much less off roading now , i havent mentioned that ive also got a mk4 1.8 sri astra that was given to the missus when here lupo died and while not a rocket ship i am not alien to reasonable handling / paced cars. Should i just buy a 325 and a bike rack like everyone else on a scooby[list][code]

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Cant remeber how to post pics

stonemonkey
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

a 1.8 SRI Astra probably handles/has the same remote feedback as a Defender. No attack on you- I hate the electric remote steering on Vauxhalls.

Do alot of test driving. Legacy, Defender and even through some random ones into the mix…

stonemonkey
    Free Member

yeah the astra aint the best handling car thats for sure. chhers hora

ell_tell
    Free Member

Light off road you say? What about an Opel Kadett then? If Top Gear managed it… 😉

Can you get one of these for 6k?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

id rather have my old opel manta gte 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

Kia Sorento ?

hora
    Free Member

Kia Sorento? Your name reminds with whatI think of that one!

spooky_b329

Standards are really slipping around here! No one’s mentioned the Mazda Bongo! MPV/van, 4×4, more refined than a Defender 🙂 Never driven one but it sounds like what your looking for.

There was one on the classifieds… http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-mazda-bongo-pics#post-6549

And ‘Andy’ mentioned he was selling his a few weeks ago. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2591396580_94533a38c6.jpg

spooky_b329

And the Mitsubici Delica

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘New Car help me decide’ is closed to new replies.