Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • New bike build – with a difference. Metalworking content
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

Gil at the cycleshed

Gil M off retrobike turns stuff around quickly.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Andyhilton – Thanks: much appreciated.

alexonabike

Amazing!

mick_r

I’d also vote for Gil! – sticker legend (and singlespeeder iirc)

Not so sure about my name on it (small text please) but liking the brawbike idea. Andrew and coulda to have final say 🙂 There is a nice flat space for a head badge (slightly eliptical 2″ diameter)

Been slightly lazy tonight (weiss beer and tv after kids finally in bed). Frame is still sat behind the sofa – will finish off and test ride tomorrow – must remember to go beg a cardboard bike box from somewhere.

M

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Mick – I reckon you’ve earned that weiss!

So Mick for names: what about rushton BRAW!

Or RUSH braw. Or rush BRAW. Or M.R. Braw. Actually- I like that last one.

mick_r

Up to you guys – I’m all out of ideas 🙂 But yeah – the last one sounds good.

Bedtime…zzzzzzz

noteeth
    Free Member

Top work… and a great thread. 😀

juiced
    Free Member

Great thread. Great looking bike. Love the headtube design – looks functional and retro. Looks like a trials bike. Great.

mick_r

OK – short of pulling this apart and finding a cardboard box I’m done!

Wheels, saddle and post are just dummy ones – Ronan has some nicer stuff waiting for it to land in Edinburgh. Bars and adjustable stem are for initial setup (again – Ronan has some nicer things and the good folks in his LBS have sorted some grips).

Customer specified minimum saddle height of 73cm hit bang on.

Schwalbe tyres fast and surprising grippy (also make a good noise doing skids on sheet ice!)

Just had a scoot around on a very icy road. Ronan’s ideas / sizing seem to be spot on (I’m only 2″ taller than Andrew) – initial learner setup of rear brake only also works well (lots of fun on the ice but very safe). Cable brake is just a stopgap until Magura have time to sort us out.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Fantastic Mick!

We’ve decided on the “rushton BRAW” name. I’ve photoshopped the above image to give an idea of what it’ll look like once decaled. Are you ok with this?

And thanks again to Militant_biker(Rick) and Greuller(Giles) from here who helped getting the required Illustrator file setup and TheDts (Daniel?) who has offered to print the decals on Monday.

#Edit – the logo:

mick_r

Fine by me!

I’ll text you size and weight of the box. Will have it with me at work on Monday so you can sort TNT.

M

Coyote
    Free Member

Guys. This is awesome. Such a tale of positivity and “can-do”. High-fives all round!

Albanach
    Free Member

In the broons and oor wullie style tis braw indeed 🙂

wilburracing
    Free Member

‘Just had a scoot around on a very icy road’

Mick, didn’t we have a conversation about avoiding ice this winter ?!! At least you had legs as stabilisers

I thought the frame looked great in the flesh today, but the pics of it built up are impressive. Great work mate 🙂

mick_r

This whole project is a real story of chance.

It was pure luck that I stumbled on Ronan’s original thread about the oversize balance bike (I’ve been with ST since the original gofar website days but I’m generally not a regular forum dweller). So it was a pure fluke I saw his original thread. And then it was a recent chance meeting of another fantastic kid with the same condition as Andrew that helped it catch my eye / made me realise and understand what these kids are capable of.

Then we’ve designed and built this purely on trust – I’ve never met or spoken to Ronan or Andrew!

mick_r

Hi Wilburracing. I can hear Pam telling me off now 🙂

I was very sensible and only opened a bottle of Sulwath “The Grace” after the test ride…….

M

wilburracing
    Free Member

enjoy the beer, you deserve it !! 😆

racefaceec90

fantastic 😀 .your nephew will love his new bike 😀

pitduck
    Free Member

restored my faith thankyou 😀

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Excellent stuff. Really heartwarming.

iain1775
    Free Member

Superb
    Now we need riding pics

iain1775
    Free Member

Superb
    Now we need riding pics

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So the “rushton BRAW” arrived in Edinburgh on schedule, got built up with only one niggle (my donor front wheel had a wobble so borrowed Mrs CSW’s).

It looks fab in the flesh, nice details (all the joins are smooth, hose clips at the correct angles etc) and a really great powder coating. The decals turned up on schedule too and finish it off nicely.

The Magura brakes are on their way but wont arrive til the New Year.

The steerer might get cut down – but I’ll see how Andrew gets on first. I’ll also need to fix (or get) a the rim brake compatible wheel with matching spokes. The current post is cut short (to stop it coming out the bottom) and I’m giving him a longer one for when he’s happy to raise the saddle more.

Andrew loves it. His mum is gobsmacked. He just had a quick scoot on it but we have to get him a helmet today and if the weather improves we should get out for a spin around the yard / lane.

So a big thanks to:

All the folk on the original “ideas” thread which possibly seemed a bit daft but the constructively ideas helped set this in motion (eg Mark of TBC’s trail bike idea).
    Mick_r (and his wife and children: I’m sure they missed him of an evening/weekend)
    Alasdair – forks
    Brad (at TBC) : forks
    Chipps from here : contacts
    Mark at Schwalbe: tyres, tubes,….
    Magura : brakes
    Mark at http://www.superiorpowdercoatings.co.uk
    martinxyz for the naming input
    Militant_biker(Rick) and Greuller(Giles) for the logo Illustrator files.
    TheDts (Dan) from http://www.avonmouthsigns.com for the decal printing.
    Mick’s lbs – http://www.rideon.co.uk for reaming the headtube
    Anne Marie and Andrew – who think I’m totally nuts (especially for riding an mtb in the dark) and put up with a slightly pushy uncle 😉

And – all those that offered us other bits and those that chipped in with comments of support etc.

Thank you all and happy Christmas!

And thanks from Andrew and Anne-Marie. I’ve got a proper hug from him to pass along!

adeward
    Free Member

This is the best thing to happen this year on STW forum a refreshing change from the normal threads on here

Well done to all concerned , what a Christmas present

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks awesome.

Vortexracing

Superb work Mike, well done.

I’m assuming you and Paul are considering keeping out of Barrow Hospital this year? 😉

It looks superb and it’s so nice to see STW and people in general doing nice things.

It just goes to show that even with all the crap you see on the news, people will always want to help others.

Anyway you, Alison and kids have a nice Christmas and hope to see you in the new year and not just at SITS. 😳

Cheers

Dave

King-ocelot
    Free Member

🙂 looks amazing

ojom
    Free Member

Ron – mind if we share this on our facebook?

gamo
    Free Member

Ace 😀

fatboyjon

Couldawouldashoulda – if you want a front rim brake wheel with black hub and rim and silver spokes sorting out, mail me and I’ll get one sent.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Mark- Go for it!

Fatboy- wow that’s a great offer! I’ll try and fix mine up after Christmas and if that doesn’t work I’ll get back to you.

Ambrose

That is amazing. I seem to have some dust in my eyes…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

High Fives all round. Have a great Christmas, all involved deserve it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wow – top job! 😀

Do you need a test pilot? 😉

pitduck
    Free Member

😀

mintimperial

Cor. That’s smashing that is. 😀

matt_outandabout

Ace – now show him riding the thing!

Klunk
    Free Member

truely wonderful bit of kit, chapeau sir chapeau

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That is utterly, utterly superb!
    It looks soooo ‘right’ too, a real purity of design from only having to fulfil one purpose for one person.

And the colour is mental! I just love it.

Is it wrong that I want one?

STW Thread of the Year, for sure

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘New bike build – with a difference. Metalworking content’ is closed to new replies.