• This topic has 23 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Never buying sealskinz gloves again!
  • lipseal
    Free Member

On my second pair of gloves and both have had problem with the liners turning inside out, need new ones so what’s out there and good recommendations please thanks.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I would happily put sealskinz gloves in the top 1 of my all time crap kit purchases.

cb

uhmmm – I have the ‘winter’ ones and am loving them so far. Only about 6 rides under their belt tho…

sc-xc

I have a pair – used daily for a 20 mile round trip for three winters….perfect for me.

simondbarnes

Why not taking a little bit of care taking the sealskinz gloves off?

Shred
    Free Member

This is my 3rd winter with mine with no problems. I’m just careful taking them off.

Autoelec
    Free Member

Stitching failed on mine, returned them to sealskins. Replaced immediately even though they were well over a year old. Great service.

avdave2

I’ve never had a problem with the linings but I haven’t found them warm enough.

br
    Free Member

I find any gloves with the ‘double’ liner to basically ‘fail’, as you can never get wet hands back in easily.

But the single layer Sealzskinz gloves I do have are brill, water/windproof and comfy.

Innes
    Free Member

Send them back, as it has been said they have very good aftersales.

T666DOM

No winter gloves here, just wear the same pair from the summer, a healthy dose of MTFU nedded methinks, fingers soon warm up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep mine are utter crap too.

sc-xc

I live (and work) in Siberia.

glynP
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me, sent them back to sealskins and they sent me two pairs. The best I have seen is the new Giro ones there is a windproof liner that you wear on its own or under the really good waterproof part or wear the waterproof ones on there own if its not too cold, at £50 there quite expensive but you are getting two really good pairs of gloves.

lipseal
    Free Member

Thanks glynP at least you have come up with an alternative. 😉

TexWade
    Free Member

I’ll never buy any ever again after a wet/cold ride up in the Mendips – took them off to do something on the bike and the lining came out leaving me unable to get the fxxxing things back on properly given my hands were cold. I am lucky not to have lost my hands to frostbite !!

neninja
    Free Member

Mine are the same – if you get damp hands you simply can’t take them off without the lining pulling out.

Really comfy in use but the lining issue is a real pain

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Agreed : I have sealskins and they are shite

Polaris bang out a glove which is super warm & dry, can’t remember the name of the ones I have – the current models are much prettier than the battleship grey buggers I have.

HTH

tomsk01
    Free Member

Spent several hours trying to get lining back in pair of Seal Skinz before giving up, now have a pair of Gore undergloves which i use under my regular gloves, perfectly toasty down to -5

speaker2animals

Threw a pair of their MTB gloves away yesterday. I have worn them out but I agree that the floating liner is terrible. Whoever said take care taking them off – have you ever ridden in these items. The slightest moisture on your hands (sweat) sticks the liner to your fingers and oops – instant inside out liner. I have NEVER find a method of taking them off that would keep the liner in place.

However this week I bought my second pair of SealSkinz Ultragrip gloves. They are brilliant in my opinion and I would highly recommend. I rarely find I need to wear heavier gloves (and I do ride year round). They shrug of a lot of rain and I think they are pretty warm. Maybe if I was going off road into the back of beyond in bad weather I’d consider something else. I’d happily start a ride in one pair and if an all dayer take a second pair to change into if/when they finally succumb to heavy rain. Ace.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

I am lucky not to have lost my hands to frostbite !!

hahaha, you’d surely be the first person to lose a finger that way in Somerset!

i don’t use specific winter gloves, i run regular fox gloves with silk liners. they’ve been cosy so far this year; i might get some winter ones if i feel the need…

Merak

+1 I am contemplating a complaint under the trade descriptions act. My lobster gloves clearly state ‘waterproof’ on each paw. This is clearly not the case, indeed the material is akin to, and has all the water proof qualities of kitchen roll. Second time Ive bought Sealskins as well, dammit.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m yet to find a Sealskinz product I’ve been happy with, their socks are crap too.

Gore gloves all the way for me, I wear Mistral IIIs when it’s a bit nippy and Tools when it’s really cold. If you want a proper full on mental glove then Specialized Radiants are good too.

jonb
    Free Member

Mine are ok, I got them this year and the lining seems attached at the finger end, I tried to pull the liner out in the shop and they were fine. It drove me nuts on my last pair of gloves.

If it’s that cold that no gloves is a serious issue I normally carry a spare pair. Buffalo pile and pertex mitts are easy to get on, v. light and exceptionally warm. Can’t change gears but I normally ride ss in winter. Good as an emergency spare.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Never buying sealskinz gloves again!’ is closed to new replies.