Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Netbook advice – OS etc.
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Got a couple of cheap Acer netbooks running XP but frankly they are dead slow so thinking of wiping them and putting something else on – they will only really be used for web browsing and e-mail.

What should I be looking at (minimal or zero cost)?

Stoner
    Free Member

you can get a free linpus build for the acer aspire ones

Failing that, Id put a clean XP on them using your original install.

redhairjon
    Free Member

I am reading this running Ubuntu on an Asus Eee PC. Much improved startup speed compared to windows and doesn’t seem to grow with bloatware / security patches. Only problem I have found is that some software isn’t supported.

Stoner
    Free Member

ive even run dual boot into android on mine. Without the touchscreen you have to use keys and mice, but it kind of works

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22665/run-android-on-your-netbook-or-desktop/

sharkbait
    Free Member

See if you can put OSX on. I’ve put it on two Dell Mini 10s and it’s brilliant. Dual boots with xp but I’ve once actually booted into xp!

aracer
    Free Member

Whilst I’d normally agree with Stoner about re-installing XP, if it’s only for browsing and basic stuff then I’d go with Ubuntu personally.

Hadn’t realised it was feasible to run Android on a PC – will have to give that a go just to see what it’s all about, thanks for the tip (I even have GPS on here, so presumably can try out the apps which use that?)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Try Windows 7. I’m not joking. I replaced XP on my daughters Samsung NC10 and it pepped it up a bit.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Bought an Eee PC netbook last month; came with win7.
    Formatted the HD and put on Ubuntu 11.10; much betterer.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have w7 on one of mine, but I also added some ram to get to 1.5Gb. Below that was a bit rubbish.

I wish google would get a decent aftermarket chrome OS out for sticking on netbooks.

Del

as uponthedowns, am running win7 on a samsung n110 ( same basic spec as n10) with 2Gb of ram. not super-fast by any means but more than adequate.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all, don’t really want to shell out for W7 so will give Ubuntu a go. Don’t suppose I can burn an install CD using a Mac for installation on a PC can I?? Even better would be a USB stick but that looks tricky on a Mac…

aracer
    Free Member

Why can’t you create an installation USB stick from your netbook?

Cougar

This. ^^

I’ve been playing with YUMI from PenDriveLinux recently. It’s primary focus is to create a USB key with multiple disc images on it, but even if you only want one it’s a quick and dirty way of getting a bootable USB stick with a Linux of choice on it.

Run the util, select your pendrive, select a distro, hit ‘go’ and it’ll set everything up for you. It’ll even download the OS image if you don’t already have it. Clever stuff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Netbook advice – OS etc.’ is closed to new replies.