Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Needing some new wheels, help
  • rich-6
    Free Member

Currently i've got pro2 front, XT rear and 719 rims on my Heckler, I've got a red hub which clashes majorly with my bikes colour scheme and a rear hub thats in need of a good strip down and new freehub body too. Being Chrimbo i thought i'd treat myself to some wheels 😀

I run Conti Verticals 2.1 which look a bit narrow on the 719s, I wouldnt mind tubeless and considered getting mavic 819s but thats not going to overcome narrow looking tyres and a lots of flex so was looking at something more like mavics 321s for a bit of stability

so which ones the tubeless version the mavic EN321s or the EN521s?

and wheres cheapest for hope builds the the minute?

😀

GW
    Free Member

pretty sure neither of those are tubeless.

what flex are you on about? 819s will be fairly stiff (for an XC rim) quite a bit stiffer than your 719s anyway

rich-6
    Free Member

Flex i'm getting is the tyre on the rim running around 30psi, I never felt it before using fire XCs 2.1, I also used them on my old DT 4.10s and never noticed it, Maybe the Contis have softer sidewalls?? Which is why i was considering going slightly wider

mboy
    Free Member

Cheapest for Hope is to get them from Winstanleys Bikes at the mo…

Mavic 819's are fine up to about a 2.35" tyre, any wider though and the tyre would be a bit pinched. External width is 24.5mm I think, not the widest, but wider than a 717 etc.

So your choice… What width tyres are you thinking you'll want to go up to? And what type of riding?

If it's more XC orientated, I'd get 819's. Especially as they're obviously instantly tubeless compatible.

If it's more DH orientated, I'd get some EN521's (stronger than EN321's as they're welded not pinned), they're 28mm wide so give the tyre a slightly beefier profile and are ok up to about a 2.5" tyre. Obviously though they're not instantly tubeless compatible, but of course there are ways and means to convert…

FWIW I've got one set of wheels with 819's, and one set with 521's. Both running tubeless (ghetto method on the 521's). The 521's are on my long travel bike, the 819's on my more XC bike.

Of course now I've said all this, I've just remembered that Hope Hoops wheels are the same price with Stans rims even (which considering Stans rims are usually about twice the price of a Mavic is remarkable!)… So ignore EVERYTHING I've said above and go and order yourself some Hope Hoops on Stans Flow rims from Winstanleys… About £230 for the pair, rims are 28mm wide, 480g in weight, pretty strong and tubeless ready when you use the specific rim tape and a valve.

Whatever you do though, DEFINITELY go tubeless ASAP…

rich-6
    Free Member

Funny you should mention it i've just stumled across the Stans rims ZTR flows,

My ridings more or less XC, But if theres a bike park where i am i like to have a thrash so need something with some strength, The 719s held up well just the rear hub let me down last time i was out.

Tyre wise i liked the chunkyness and grip my 2.3 minions offered so was thinking of getting another set of them, Probrably the UST versions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Needing some new wheels, help’ is closed to new replies.