Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Need to get some glasses – help!
  • mrgibbons
    Free Member

I tried a friends set of glasses on in lecture yesterday, its since become apparent that I couldn’t read the projector screen at all, I had previously put it down to it being ‘fuzzy’. Also have to move all the PC screens back in uni, always find them too close for comfort.

To cut to the chase, tried a friends glasses on – weak prescription abut a +2? or +0.02? something like that. Made an infinite difference.

Where does one go to get such a thing sorted i.e. find out what prescription one needs etc/cost? Any places to avoid/run from?

aP
    Free Member

Walk into town, look for an independent optician, walk in, make an appointment to have your eyes tested, go and get your eyes tested, make a decision based on what they tell you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just go into an opticians. I’ve used Specsaves for years and they’ve always been fine for me. The anti-glare coatings are good for monitor use, too

therevokid
    Free Member

+2 is a fairly weak “long sighted” prescription – mines +4.50 and +4.75 !
    Get to the opticians before you end up need specs like me …..

glenh
    Free Member

Go to an optician. Specsavers are cheap.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

Nip yourself to the nearest opticians for a sight test – Specsavers sometimes do special deals for £10 but I found their service a bit rushed (ideally a sight test should take about 30min).

Boots opticians seem to take the proper time, a sight test should be about £20-£30, make sure you ask for a copy of your prescription afterwards which they are obliged to give you. If you’re feeling cheeky ask for your ‘Pupil Distance’ too, they may or may not give you this (but it’s less important).

Then pop yourself over to us for some lovely decent priced specs 😉

Glasses Direct

Tap me up for a discount code if you like (email should be in the profile I think). 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

spend less than £100 if you can’t afford decent ones. spend more if you want longer lasting, thinner and better optics. I budget about £200 for lenses and tests and about the same or a bit more for frames.

you are a student so can probably afford a lot more than me.

Lots of people on here will tell you that spending more than 3 pence on glasses is stupid. they are wrong. but we’ve been there before

glenh
    Free Member

There is no point spending loads on fancy lenses for the correction that the OP sounds likely to have.

glenh, dept of optometry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Need to get some glasses – help!’ is closed to new replies.