• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Del.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Need to cut steel steerer – can I use a pipe cutter?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I need to get a steel fork steerer cut down, but the LBS have a two week waiting time for the workshop and I don’t have a vice or hacksaw. I have seen pipe cutters that clamp on and rotate around the tube – they look a bit like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21946/Hand-Tools/Plumbing-Tools/Pipe-Cutters/Pipe-Cutter-3-28mm?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-PIPE%20CUTTER-_-21946

Question is, can I use one on steel tube or are they only suitable for softer materials? Any experiences?

Thanks!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I wouldn’t! buy a hacksaw and a file or find a better LBS.

poppa
    Free Member

Ah, are they only designed for copper tube then?

trail_rat
    Free Member

they tend to form a lip and kinda crush the tube while cutting it. can make the stem a pia to fit …but they can be used for the job…

you get a much better finish with a hacksaw & file imho….

rOcKeTdOg

a saw guide might be a better purchase, remember measure twice cut once!

Driller
    Free Member

The problem with using them is that it will crimp the end of the steerer inwards so the internal bore won’t be straight, making it hard to fit the star fangled nut, or perhaps impossible to fit a Hed Doctor.

Buy the guide tool from CRC and a decent 12″ hacksaw, even if you only use it once in a blue moon, you’ll feel loads better when you’re cutting the steerer on your expensive forks.

firestarter
    Free Member

i did mine other day just make sure you do it up gradually and file any burrs from it

poppa
    Free Member

What is this saw-guide you speak of?

poppa
    Free Member

Hmmm…. Re: Pipe Cutters

If I already have the SFN inserted below the cut-line then internal burrs won’t matter right? The fork is a cheap steel rigid I am putting on a commuter bike for my wife. …

firestarter
    Free Member

with pipe cutter it tends to burr on the outside so needs a file off to fit stem

thomthumb
    Free Member

use an old stem as a guide.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I use a couple of spacers and cut between them. Makes a nice straight cut.

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

pipe cutters are effective for shortening handlebars – just file/ream out the inside after to get end caps in

don’t know about steerer though- what metal is it?

Del

in the absence of a vice, a saw, and the experience of using both a pipe-cutter isn’t a bad way of doing it IMO. just do it slowly. as stated above you will need to clean the cut up, but it will be a straight cut at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Need to cut steel steerer – can I use a pipe cutter?’ is closed to new replies.