Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Need advise women bike ready for alps riding?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hi need a bit of help.. Suggestions or recommendation… As titled.. Looking for a womens full sus bike for other half about 5”1 height.. I believe an XS frame that has enough travel to do alps mountain ride for the summer.

Was looking at giant trance x w. but it got only 125mm of travel.. I dont know if this is enough…

Cheers

cheez0
    Free Member

plenty unless she is downhill awesum, in which case i would expect she’s already got an awesum bike to match.

rickmeister

“5′ Diva, but as with everything, make sure it fits… !

akira

might be worth changing to bigger rotors and chunky tyres depending on what you’re planning to ride.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Looking for all mountain really.. Will be using in local trails (red/black graded) most of the time.. But decent enough to bring to alps for the summer.. So something that is good for climbing as well.. Spesh.. Canyon.. Women full susser got max 120 of travel that i can find.. Anything anybody know about with a 140 travel? On xs frame?

@rickmaster: do you have this orange diva yourself or personally seen this?

kimbers

if you can find a kona minxy in 15″ size might be good

dantsw13

Does it need to be female specific?

Hecklers come up quite small sizewise, and are a great AM/Alps bike.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

My girlfriend is 5′ and has a Titus Motolite in xs. Works fine in the Alps.

Difficult to find secondhand though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I had a Giant Reign XS (5ft 4″) and LOVED it for the Alps, it’s deemed an “all mountain” bike however it was flipping hefty for riding up hill. So I would seriously consider fit, amount of travel v’s weight for riding it in this country. I now have a Giant Cypher s which I don’t love as much as the Reign despite it being considerably lighter and easier for riding up hill. Mr MC has measured them and they are the same, it’s best to get a few I think and demo them it’s too difficult for people on the internet to pick a bike when she might have longer arms for her height, or smaller hands. I would recommend putting a mofo disc on the front though.

Edit: What’s her current bike?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Already look at the giant reign i cannot find an xs frame… We’ll try to demo an orange 5 diva small.. See how it goes.. .. Shes currently riding cube attention 16″ on a 120mm of travel.. For some reason the frame suits her.. But still i see it quite big for her body size.. A size 14-15 would probably be spot on.

jekkyl

*advice

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I’ve got a short Orange 5 Diva (I’m 5’3″ and like my frames to be short) a for general trail riding….great bike, but needed the Fox CTD suspension tuning to really become a ‘decent’ bike.

I was little torn whether 140 mm upfront would be enough, but I’m finding it’s surprising versatile. Took it to Stile Cop DH the other day on a minor detour whilst on an XC ride and, once I settled into trusting the bike, it felt pretty awesome….made me even ponder getting rid of the DH bike for a short time! It’s great in the air and when up to speed. I do notice the brake jack a fair bit, but this is more an issue with my brake technique and I’m hoping that it’ll actually improve my braking in the long term.

If your lady is looking for an AM bike for the Alps I’d at least take a look at the 5 Diva….but prepare to spend out on fine tuning the suspension.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Took my fairly old Spesh FS to the Alps last year – has 100mm rear and 115mm front, put on DH tyres and changed the front rotor for, um, bigger (I’ve forgotten what it is!) and it was all fine. Had a whale of a time…don’t get hung up on the detail….. What’s important is that it fits her and she enjoys riding it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about a small NS soda fr.. I suppose if you don’t really like her that much get an orange. Im a short arse and have just bought a dartmoor shine which is tiny and good standover.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I suppose if you don’t really like her that much get an orange

Ah, of course, my self-loathing led me to buy mine

cloudnine
    Free Member

Superficial choice of course.. just could never bring myself to put my leg over something that ugly.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s164p4364

Thank me later. The trance is a superb machine for what you describe, air forks will be easy and cost nothing to set up for her (assumedly light) bodyweight, perfect size, comes with good tyres and it’s cheap.

nickc

but it got only 125mm of travel.. I dont know if this is enough.

it is. It’s just dirt, you know? look at brakes more than suspension travel.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

glasgowdan exactly where I got my Small Cypher from. Great shop, fab discounts!

Jeffus
    Free Member

+1 on Santa Cruz Heckler my wife rides one as said they are short TT and plenty of travel, 150mm front and back,
    I took one to the Alps for two weeks it was great really looked after me and the new one is slightly slacker , with taper steerer and ISCG mounts great value , cheaper than a 5.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The Trance might be alright as long as the suspension can be adjusted to suit her weight. A pair of 140mm forks might slacken it up a bit. 2.35 tyres might be chunky enough if 2.5’s are enough for us 90kg+ stormtroopers. Obviouslly standard alps adjustments apply (chain device, bigger rotors) but some subtule things like lever position / lever reach/ bar width / saddle angle can make a big difference

sweaman2
    Free Member

Blur LT. Also short in the top tube and Santa Cruz reckon small is good for 5 ft.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks all.. Will be looking for all suggested here.

Northwind

Do they do a Zesty in tiny? I accidentally did a testride on a 514L, not knowing what the L meant, and it basically turned out to be a really bloody good mountain bike with some flowers painted on it.

vondally
    Free Member

The older trance was a solid old beast and ours was kitted out with pikes pretty capable in the alps….we only ever put on 2.35 tyres.

Santa cruz heckler or bullit,and come up small,Yeti mayfit but only in small…..turners as well.

Cqnnondale prophet in small?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Need advise women bike ready for alps riding?’ is closed to new replies.