Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Need a new dishwasher…..AEG any good?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

We splashed out on a Miele a few years ago, large houshold, gets used twice a day. Hasnt honestly been that fantastic, and now breaking down regularly. Any recommendations? Needs to be industrial strength….AEG?

Ta

Creg

Can’t comment on dishwashers but we have a AEG washing machine and an AEG Fridge Freezer and both have been fantastic. Well built and reliable.

lodious
    Free Member

If it’s new, they are s***, they used to be ace, had three in a row, but bought one 2 years ago and it’s abysmal. They were taken over by Electolux and the quality has gone down the pan.

rewski
    Free Member

Bosch – mine has been reliable for past 10+ years, just replaced seal.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Read Which – to be found in local libraries.

mcboo
    Free Member

Which…good idea. Yeh Bosch we bought a tumble dryer at the same time, wasnt expecting much from it, still going strong.

ransos
    Free Member

I have an ancient AEG washing machine, which has been faultless.

I have a modern AEG dishwasher, which has got through 3 pumps in the 4.5 years I’ve owned it.

So, buy something else!

Inbred456
    Free Member

Bosch. Had our dishwasher and washer for 10yrs now. Both faultless. My Aunty has a Bosch washer that is 25yrs old. The pump gets emptied once every 3yrs, loose change etc.

Farticus

Asko – Swedish kit that last ages. Washing machine 18 years old & has never missed a beat. Dishwashers are branded Maytag in the UK – pricey but built to last.

Had a Bosch dishwasher which made it to 17. New ones are just not built as well, so after looking at Bosch I went for the Maytag / Asko. Good for 17 place settings, so pretty mahoosive.

superfli
    Free Member

We always try to buy German. Miele, Bosch, Siemens and I thought AEG were german, maybe not now. I go by the rule, either buy cheap and expect to replace every 2 yrs, or buy good quality and expensive and expect it to last 10yrs. Dont go in between as its a bit hit and miss.
    Stay away from buttons and functions you aint ever going to use, keep it simple.

We current dishwasher was £50 off ebay. Its a Bosch and we’ve had it for 3 faultless yrs.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get some fairy liquid, run the hot tap, safe yourself a few hundred quid, and do a better job. Dishwashers are horrible things. Just saying like.

cinnamon_girl

I’m very surprised at your experience with Miele.

NZCol

Used to buy cheap and replace then bought a house with Bosch and Smeg stuff. The dishwasher is amazing, it’s been in there for 4 years and is uterly silent, waaay better then our cheap Haier sh1te. Extractor is the same and silent. Smeg oven works brilliantly as well compared to the cheaper one.
    Plumber mate reckons Bosch for plumbing type stuff (dishwasher, washing etc) Smeg for other stuff.

Mof
    Free Member

My missus is the best dish washer I ever had. Fully automatic, totally reliable, makes the tea as well.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Read Which – to be found in local libraries.

Not sure thats a good option. One of the highest recommended ones from which gets slated on just about any online customer review sites I’ve found – I nearly bought it based on which.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Our AEG Fridge Freezer is 6 years old and is falling to bits, there is nothing wrong with its cooling ability, its just the build quality of the inside is poor e.g. broken shelfs, broken freezer doors. I did replace one of the shelfs @ £50, to replace all the broken bits on the inside was going to cost more than a new fridge freezer.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m very surprised at your experience with Miele.

Yeh us too. We bought a Miele washing-machine at the same time, its a rock…..used constantly, is great. The dishwasher hasnt honestly CLEANED that well, you have to give the dishes such a rinse before they go in that you are almost as well doing them by hand. Very annoyingly the rotor arm that hooks on to one of the drawers keeps falling off, its just not well designed.

neninja
    Free Member

Our AEG dishwasher worked faultlessly for 6 1/2 years and then the metering thing blocked and needed replacing. It was going to be £’s to fix so bought a Bosch instead.

The appliance repair guy said that with most modern dishwashers if you get more than 5 years life out of them then you’re doing well.

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought AEG were german

Yes, I read somewhere that they made the ovens at Auschwitz…

Sorry to lower the tone, but not a brand I would be comfortable with

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Beko always appear to do very well for cheap white goods, often out performing much more expensive brands.

Last year we bought a Philips Whirpool based on they layout inside that we liked, reviews on Which and reviews we read online.

One second not taking every thing which say at face value. They tend to get it right but always google for actual user reviews.

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought AEG were german

Correct

I thought AEG were are german

Incorrect, it seems.

Electrolux (Swedish), with German branding where sold in Germany and UK, it seems

freddyg
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member
    Get some fairy liquid, run the hot tap, safe yourself a few hundred quid, and do a better job. Dishwashers are horrible things. Just saying like.

What’s your hourly rate?

Before we had a dishwasher, we could easily spend an hour each day washing and drying pots, pans, etc.

If you’re on the minimum wage (£5.93 / hour) you could have paid for a £400 dishwasher in only two months. If you figure your time is worth more than that, then the dishwasher will pay for itself in a shorter period.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We got a SMEG from Currys for £400 last year. Well impressed so far.

Tinners

We’ve had an AEG Favorit dishwasher for around 3 years and not had any problems. The main reason we bought it was that it was said to be the quietest on the market at the time (and you’d struggle to know it was on, it’s so quiet). According to the guy who came to fix our Miele washing machine, AEG were taken over by Electrolux and you now have to choose with care. The “old” AEG were tough as old boots and well built, but some of the newer AEG appliances are simply rebranded with Electrolux
    Edit: Never thought I’d see the day that I would be contributing to a thread on dishwashers. The shame.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Bosch built in – 14 years old almost.

Quiet and reliable.

mcboo
    Free Member

Never thought I’d see the day that I would be contributing to a thread on dishwashers. The shame.

I’d heap scorn on your epic lack of hippness if it wasnt me that started this riveting chat……

joao3v16
    Free Member

What’s your hourly rate?

Before we had a dishwasher, we could easily spend an hour each day washing and drying pots, pans, etc.

If you’re on the minimum wage (£5.93 / hour) you could have paid for a £400 dishwasher in only two months. If you figure your time is worth more than that, then the dishwasher will pay for itself in a shorter period.

Eh?

Shirley your time at home isn’t costing anyone anything?

Dishwashers don’t save you money, they just save a bit of time (unless the time you save is spent earning money…)

TiRed

Just sold our nine year old Miele. Performed flawlessly. Sadly the integrated unit in our new kitchen is not as good. Miele service for our other appliances has been excellent. Not needed it for the Dishwasher.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Need a new dishwasher…..AEG any good?’ is closed to new replies.