Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Need a bike for the wife
  • KT1973
    Free Member

After years of persuasion, the Mrs has finally relented and deciced to get a bike. In fact, this time it was her idea- she wants to buy one of those carts for putting the babies into so we can all go out together, and I'm hope that after this, she'll get the bug and want to do more MTB related activities with me too. She's reasonably fit already so I'm sure she'll take to it quickly.
    So….. I need a bike for her and I want to get something decent. Something light, xc/light trail type machine with a decent spec and I'm not too bothered if it's a HT or FS. I'll even consider something 2nd hand if someone has a good condition modern one for sale.
    I'll budget up to 1K for the right machine…..Any suggestions?

MrH
    Free Member

How tall is she?

Splat
    Free Member

On One – maybe scandal race?

KT1973
    Free Member

She's about 5'7"

LeeW

I've just bought a 09 Kona Kula Deluxe for my SO, got it from Wiggle for a grand, saving £900. it got 4/5 star review from WMB and it has a pretty good spec for £1000.

Kona link

LeeW

Colour is gopping though.

MrH
    Free Member

Pity, wife's selling Trek fuel ex 14.5".

KT1973
    Free Member

LeeW, that is a decent spec- it's on the shortlist.
    She was having a look atb this CORRATEC on CRC but its huge. pretty good also apart from the brakes, and I'm almost tempted to get it and sell the brakes and frame for different ones, but possibly too much faffing around

KT1973
    Free Member

Mr H – Member

That's a cracking bike Mr H. shame it's not a 16 or 17"

guitarhero
    Free Member

Need a bike for the wife

That doesn't sound like a fair trade, what else can you offer?

KT1973
    Free Member

guitarhero – Member

Need a bike for the wife

OK, I'll throw in some protective equipment too…

I'm only the 3rd owner and she's in decnt nick, considering she's been ridden pretty hard 2-3 times a week. The front triangle's in a bit of a mess but you should be able to tidy that up.
    Cost me a mint and there's be no expense spared on the upkeep.

drofluf
    Free Member

I'm eBaying a 17" Rockhopper at the moment – probably shouldn't post the link here but e-mail me for details.

Divagirl
    Free Member

I love my Orange Diva HT, about £800, 15" or 17". I'm about 5'5" – 5'6" and the 15" is perfect for me. Might be worth a look at one for your wife.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Mr H – Member

sorry…slight hi-jack but Mr H has no e-mail in profile,
    How tall is your wife? could I have details of which model, year etc please 🙂

To the OP. If you want to buy new I'd recommend the Specialized myka. If the budget can stretch or you go second hand there's the spec Saffire or the myka FSR or of course trek exs in WSD

KateD
    Free Member

I've just got my hands on a 2010 Giant Cypher which was under the grand mark from the Giant Store at Rutland. I'm 5'7 and the small fits me perfectly. It's ex hire but bar a couple of nicks here and there, you wouldn't know! Might be worth giving them a call as they're starting to clear 2010 stock 🙂

KT1973
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input folks- it's given me a good base to work from on my search. Has anyone (girls) tried the Cube LTD Team? I quite like the look of that

LeeW

We were going to get the LTD Team from LL on the cycle scheme, it's a great looking bike and a reasonable spec for the money. My OH was a little put off by all the flashes of colour on the frame though – it looks much better in the photographs in her opinion.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I was going to get a cube hardtail for my wife but she tried the xms and absolutely loved it from the off- she reckons the full suspension gives her alot more confidence on the technical stuff

scholarsgate
    Free Member

What about boardman HT? They do womens colours now..

linky

Sirlickalot
    Free Member

You spelt kitchen wrong.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

guitarhero – Member

Need a bike for the wife

OK, I'll throw in some protective equipment too…

I'm only the 3rd owner and she's in decnt nick, considering she's been ridden pretty hard 2-3 times a week. The front triangle's in a bit of a mess but you should be able to tidy that up.
    Cost me a mint and there's be no expense spared on the upkeep.

LOL. Five star banter chaps 🙂

er…as far as bike suggestions go: HT – something with a steel frame maybe, On One Inbred(?) or second hand Orange P7. FS – my wife really likes her Giant Anthem X4 (mens version). She reckons it rides much lighter than it is and is really comfortable. Seems quite a beginner friendly bike, but one that doesn't dumb down at all – way more capable than its travel suggests. As another postee has mentioned Rutland Cycles have got some good deals on at the mo.

cinnamon_girl

You don't necessarily need to go the women-specific route and I'm 2" shorter than your wife. All my bikes now are men's.

I would check out the Classifieds firstly. Steel frame is always nice, ie Rock Lobster, Cotic Soul. I consider decent forks and lightweight wheels to be most important and would not economise on those. Hardtail would make sense to start with.

Edit: I do know of a small Soul that will be for sale in a couple of months time. No, not mine!

leeson
    Free Member

You love biking , call her " the wife" , but dont realy know what to buy.

I guess she will be saying to her freinds " hubbies stuck, he doesnt realy know what hes doing"

Epic fail

cinnamon_girl

Waves to leeson. 🙂

Of course the STW guys know they can rely on the STW girlies to assist. 😀

KT1973
    Free Member

And all of the assistance is much appreciated. 8)
    Seriously though, if it was for me it would be a different story but it's good to hear from the lasses here about their preferences such as buying a womens specific bike or a small mens….
    If I do get a one which isn't designed for women, should I get a womens saddle right away?

oink
    Free Member

giant cypher?

cypher 2
    cypher 1

cinnamon_girl

Suggest leaving saddle choice to your wife – she could end up with a collection to rival her shoes!

coatesy
    Free Member

Before you buy anything, i'd suggest checking it's compatibility with the intended trailer, a mate's just bought a Burley that's not compatible with disc equipped frames as the mount fits into the joint of the seat/chainstay.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

My other half likes her Specialized Myka a lot.

KT1973
    Free Member

coatesy – Member
    Before you buy anything, i'd suggest checking it's compatibility with the intended trailer, a mate's just bought a Burley that's not compatible with disc equipped frames as the mount fits into the joint of the seat/chainstay.

– Good point. Will get that checked

Wookster

my mrs has an fsr xc from spesh. She loves the full suss and it isnt too heavy worth a look at the mo with the sales on mate.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I treated my lady to a new bike last year. Did a few test rides on both lady specific and mens mediums (Spesh and Santa cruz). In the end we found an XT and Float equipped 2006 Horst link Turner 5 spot on ebay for £1200. She loves it and I get to borrow it when mine is broke. Well worth looking at all options.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Need a bike for the wife’ is closed to new replies.