Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nasty neighbours
  • ads-b
    Free Member

I don’t have any particular terrible stories to tell. But the thread on the landowner picking on cyclists trying to carry bikes on his footpath got me thinking. Anyone had any terrible incidents with neighbours? I'm pretty lucky as we know nearly everyone by name on our road and get on really well with nearly all of them (pretty uncommon these days probably- at least down sarf)

Tale 1-. One day fairly soon after we moved in I found a car parked across our drive. The old guy who lived there before never used his garage, and with everyone knowing everyone on the road it was accepted that people could park there given the limited parking in the rest of the street. Without knowing who it was and being 10pm at night I thought I would leave a polite note saying something along the lines 'please note that we will now be using the garage from now on and therefore if you would mind leaving the driveway clear we would be very grateful'. I got woken up the next morning with a lady in her dressing ringing our door bell. She proceeded to scream at me about her living in the street 15years and has never been treated like this before, everyone knows whos car its is, etc.. I tried to explain i didn’t know whos car it was, and wasnt going to knock on doors at 10pm, and was only a polite note. She carried on screaming. 2 years on, she still hasnt apologised.

Tale 2- The SO was round a neigbours house having a little drink with the ladies on the street. One of the ladies who neither of us has never met before decided to have it out with her about a pallet of bricks we had outside our house. She banged on about needing a license and it was illegal. It got my other half upset and set her off crying which only increased the abuse (not very neighbourly to a new neighbor I my opinion). We didn’t have a license, but given the general friendly attitude in the street and it being a dead end it was not really an issue. We parked our car elsewhere so it wasn’t taking up a space. The next day we got the bricks shifted anyway to maintain harmony. But we saw her later on round the corner where our car was parked and she barked at me this time. ‘nice to see you moved those bricks, don’t do it again’. Of course I took offence and wasn’t likely to start crying. I questioned how us not having a license actual made any difference to her as they would be there anyway. Our car was parked where we were standing. She carried on banging on, and started to say she had to walk over our builders tools on her way to work as they off loaded (which would have been pretty coincidental timing as they didn’t store them on the street and was only 10ins every morning). Plus she drove to work, and as mentioned before we live at the end of a cul-de-sac. None of it was getting through to her, but she just said ‘lets forget and shake hands’. I refused as she still couldn’t see how she was being totally unreasonable. Not the first time shes let off at neighbours apparently. Her fella is a nice guy and made her come with flowers the next day (through the street grapevine we found this out). She wasn’t exactly polite about it.

Not exactly bricks through windows I know.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sorry, nodded off for a moment there. Have we got to the bit where Anna Friel kisses the other one yet?

timbur
    Free Member

Shakes head. Is that the best you can come up with???

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

This thread is useless without google streetview.

ads-b
    Free Member

Streetview

Never said it was Baghdad. Was hoping for better ones from the STW masseeve.

toys19
    Free Member

Umm she apologised and gave you flowers, get in you've pulled.

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

You live in moss side and that's the best you can come up with?!

aP
    Free Member

You left a pallet of bricks in the street? You must live in a strange area, I can't think of many areas near where I live and work that you could do that and expect them to be there the next day.
    Also I can't really understand why you feel the need to tell everyone about it? Although I am interested in IanMunro's version…

Pigface
    Free Member

Once came back from an Enduro to find two of my neighbours having a punchup in the street. The men were at it and so were the wives, all to do with arguments there kids had been having. In the end one from each couple won their battle.

As my mate said "Oh look a Welsh cabaret"

BoardinBob

Anyone had any terrible incidents with neighbours?

My downstairs neighbour is currently accused of gang rape. 😯

Thankfully he moved out last weekend but the investigation is still ongoing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

That'll be that reason you'd pay more to be in a city then eh… 🙂

Worst neighbourly trouble I've had in Scotland has been a slightly rampageous elderly neighbour who cut all the tops off the adjoining evergreens as they blocked her light. Made no odds to me, other than letting through streetlights at night which is a tad annoying.

Back home we had a dealer living opposite and up a bit who regularly dealt from his house, meaning the road was a constant stream of cars parking, until he got 'ad by the police. Other than that our nuisance neighbours have been dog owners. Selfish, stupid, irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs out at 5:45 then not waiting with them to let them back in so that they bark and wake everyone up, then challenge with "what you going to do about it" when people complain, not that anyone else would complain because they're all too stiff-upper-lipped to have any confrontation.

Oh, I tell a lie, I had one neighbour and her family who'd park in front of my drive despite there beign 50 yards free in each direction and it not even being the house they were visiting. On the 3rd polite request I pointed out that it wasn't much to ask that they refrained from blocking my drive, at which point she went mental, explaining that I was wholely unreasonable and it wasnt much to ask that I might pop next door and ask her to move it. At this point it degraded into me pointing out that she must be either as thick as two short planks or totally careless to do it 3 times with no logical reason, her swearing unintelligibly at me, and me holding her front door open until she moved the car.

meehaja
    Free Member

my neighbour was raided by the police one morning, took 14 big officers to take him in. Next day he came round and asked if he could borrow my tools to fix his broken door and was chatting about how the filth had nothing on him and couldn't keep him and it was funny they didn't find the machete or the crack… later that week he died of a heroin overdose, when the police found him I had to go and ask for my tools back, fortunately I knew the officer on the door and he let me have them rather than keeping them as evidence or something like that. Shame really, he seemed like a nice chap and there was never any trouble on our street!

BoardinBob

That'll be that reason you'd pay more to be in a city then eh…

😆 touche

Even worse, it's alledged to have happened downstairs from me…

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2010/01/22/rangers-goalkeeper-allan-mcgregor-set-to-be-quizzed-today-by-cops-over-sex-assault-allegation-86908-21986577/

ourmaninthenorth

Nothing more than loud music belting through the wall in the middle of the night at the weekend and their f—ing dog barking for hours on end.

But that's OK, as we live in West Didsbury, and it isn't exactly Moss Side 😉

My parents used to live next door to a couple who would, it seemed, alternate their episodes of psychosis. Not very nice, as they were clearly ill, but it made for some amazing behaviour in a rural cul-de-sac.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thats a bit too close for comfort Bob!

zaskar
    Free Member

I don't think people need to shout at each other but parking across someones drive is pretty dumb!

Celery
    Free Member

Where do you get a brick licence from?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

My next door neighbour murdered me in my bed. Or bummed me or something. Top that!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nasty neighbours’ is closed to new replies.