Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • nan bield pass
  • peteroughton169
    Free Member

Going to do nan bield tomorrow starting at kentmere. Was wondering whats the best way? Anticlockwise taking in gatescarth first to haweswater, or clockwise doing nan first? Would really appreciate some answers on this one

PhilChap

Anti-clockwise is the most popular option.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Do you have a gps route for this as I have heard so many good things about it and going across in 2 weeks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

If your up for a bit of a challange how about 4 passes in one day?. Start off at ings just north of stavley up past dubs reservoir then up and over garbun pass. Drop down into Kentmere along high lane then take the bridleway that drops you into sadgill. Over the bridge then turn left up the valley to gatesgarth pass. Drop down to Hawswater then the big push/carry up Nan bield. Enjoy the long and technical decent down the Kentmere valley then on to low lane. Finally retrace your steps back over garbun pass. Only 21 miles long but with over 5500ft of climbing it should not be underestimated. Took me just over 6 hours to do about 3 months ago.

footflaps

Hey Phil, fancy doing the 3 passes next WE (8/9th)?

lowey

Gatescarth & Nan Bield by lowey.com, on Flickr

Ascend from Haweswater and descend to Kentmere, unless you like Mega Tech trails.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

nan bield vid+ 1 Lowey 😉

trailmonkey

my bestest most favouritest ride in england – anti clockwise

excellent pics by slugwash of this parish

peachos
    Free Member

what bjj.andy.w says. its not really a full length ride just doing gatescarth & n bield…imo. unless you’re going up to session the descent back down to small water (like on mojo trail diaries) and harter fell / mardale ill bell – then you could make a good day of the area.

lowey

Trailmonkey’s 2nd to last pic is where Junkyard got his face ripped off.

warton
    Free Member

funny isn’t it. I’ve only did it once and I hated it. cold wet, incredible wind at the top, couldn’t get any speed up going down, due to the wind and coldness, yet everyone says its amazing!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Although nan bield is good, I prefer the decent from the top of gatesgarth down to Hawswater.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘nan bield pass’ is closed to new replies.