Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • My frame and fork will take 650b wheels.. Should I change up?
  • YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

I’ve recently changed my frame to a Chumba Evo G2 which will take a 650b wheel (sliding dropouts), Chumba confirmed this. This would however mean (obviously) running the chainstay in a longer setting. I currently run it in the shortest as I like the snappy feel. I should mention its a 160mm set up which I ride for a bit of everything but love jumping and hitting turns- I definitely brave the climbs for the downs. I currently run 26″ wheels with 2.35 Magic Mary’s.

I’m running a Suntour Durolux RC2 fork (which is genuinely an amazing fork) which will also accept a 650b wheel.

But would a 650b with potentially a slightly smaller tyre (and the longer chainstay) really make the bike slant more towards the ‘do it all’ and not ride it up to pin it down?

Is it even worth me doing this? I guess I’m considering it because I can- my last frame wouldn’t accept the bigger wheel.

Any opinions/experience welcomed.

Cheers

Stevet1
    Free Member

Sounds like you enjoy your current setup, I wouldn’t change it.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Borrow mine and then decide.

legend
    Free Member

But would a 650b with potentially a slightly smaller tyre (and the longer chainstay) really make the bike slant more towards the ‘do it all’ and not ride it up to pin it down?

Yes, but only in the trails dreamed up in marketing land

andysredmini
    Free Member

Don’t waste your money. I just got a 650b bike not because I wanted bigger wheels but because no decent 26″ frames are available any more and I’m even more surprised about some of the rubbish I have seen written about them.
    I cant tell a bit of difference and no one else I have spoken too can either.
    I think people are just looking to buy the solution to becoming a riding god. And if they have fallen for it then they are trying to convince themselves they are better.

DezB
    Free Member

I rode a couple of Saracen 27.5 bikes on the weekend. There were some things I noticed different to my 575 – the wheel size definitely wasn’t one of them.

chiefgrooveguru

I would never put a 27.5 wheel and smaller tyre onto on 26 bike unless the 26 tyre was annoyingly big and squirmy. If you can fit a 27.5 wheel and proper sized tyre into your frame bear in mind that one of the biggest changes in feel will be due to the greater BB height. On a lot of 26 frames, especially older ones and hardtails, the last thing you want is a higher bottom bracket!

Short answer: No.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

The frame was designed to work with both. The forks not, but there is room for a 27.5 with a 2.4 continue trail king.

BUT

Given the opinions above paired with my own skeptisism I will stick with 26″ and just buy some lighter wheels.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My frame and fork will take 650b wheels.. Should I change up?’ is closed to new replies.