Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My Five Ten Impacts………
  • Simon

…are falling to bits 🙁

They’ve been great, apart from taking ages to dry out after a wet ride.

Should I just buy some more or are there any (cheaper) alternatives worth a look?

Rickos
    Free Member

Only shoe that’s close in grip are the new Sombrio shoes and that’s from someone that’s used both (not me). Tevas look great and have that waterproof coating, but the grip isn’t brilliant apparently. Or Shimano – great weatherproofing, look a bit weird and grip is OK, but nothing still matches 5 10.

Stevelol
    Free Member

May I ask; how long have they lasted you and how often do you ride? I have a pair that are over a year old and they’re doing well, I only ride once a week though.

If you’ve got a year or more out of them then I’d say that’s reasonably good value for money.

I’m going to check out Teva Links for my next pair as I want something lighter with a thinner sole.

Simon

Well….they were bought 2nd hand, and fairly well worn when I got them, but they’ve lasted a couple of years of sporadic use and a couple of months of twice a week rides. That doesn’t help much does it? 🙂

kayak23

ha!

aguesty1
    Free Member

Love my Teva Links, no problem with the grip IMO, nice an light, comfy and look decent, always thought Five Tens looked like “special shoes”, not had a pair so can’t compare the two!

organdonor
    Free Member

2nd hand, well worn Five Tens?

Eeeurrrghh!

I’m all for recycling but

Eeeurrrghh!

Buy some NEW shoes

BTW My Vans Gravel are great, still going strong almost a year on. Not as grippy as previous 510s but I prefer them – don’t act like sponges, look like orthopaedic shoes or prevent me repositioning my feet.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

My 1st pair of high impacts have lasted at least 2 yrs, could be getting on for 3. I ride for about 6hrs a week all offroad all year round. Apart from them weighing as much as pluto when there wet I think there the nadgers tadgers!

Northwind

I’m a fan of the Shimanos (AM40s in my case). No they don’t have as much grip as 5 10s, but they still have more than I need.

And also they’ve lasted more than twice as long as my last 5 10s did and are still in reasonable shape- they won’t last the year but I’ll forgive ’em. I think it was the wet that killed the 5 10s- they soaked up so much water and dried so slowly that they were basically never dry all winter. Stitching burst, soles delaminated, inners came apart, just about every part failed at the same rate.

Oh- 5 10 no longer use cardboard insoles as far as I can see, which does help. I just bought a pair of cheap Freeriders to try and nuked them with waterproofer, we’ll see how that goes.

Simon

Anyone used Five Tens and Teva Links? How does the grip compare?

gamo
    Free Member

5.10s are much grippier, Teva’s incredibly comfy though.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got some Shimano AM40s. Until a month ago I’d have raved about them – super comfy, stiff enough and more than enough grip (FiveTens seem too grippy to me). However, the sole delaminated off the bottom during a foot-out session so I’m no longer convinced about the longevity. I’ve glued it back and it seems alright though.

timmys

I’ve had my Impacts for three years, probably using them less than an hour a week on average as I sometimes use other shoes. One of them has a hole worn through the sole where a pedal pin sits. Is that fair enough do you reckon or should I try Teva’s next time? The pins are not particularly long and it only happened with one sole, the other is fine. Rather disappointed in them to be honest, if I’m going to be charged £85 to look like Forest Gump I’d at least expect them to last.

doubledunter
    Free Member

This is how my five ten ended up, but to honest, I was riding 3 to 4 times a week and they lasted just over a year, so Im not complaining too much..I ended up buying five ten karvers
    [/url] fivetenhole by Doubledunter, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My Five Ten Impacts………’ is closed to new replies.