Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • My first bit of xtr.
  • southernsteel
    Free Member

Got my first bit of xtr today.
    It might only be a second hand (from the classifieds on here no less) 8-speed cassette but it looks so good and feels so light. I can’t wait to get it on my bike- I doubt it will change anything but it is a nice feeling all the same.
    Wooh.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

XTR cables and front skewer for me – that’s it so far (a bit of X-0 though!). Got a few XT bits.

richmtb

Cables and Pedals here, not sure if I can afford anything else!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went for the 960 brakes as I loved the tiny calipers and spline.

Very little of it is worth the £ IMO, although to this day I’d sell a kidney for an xtr seatpost, beautiful.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

shifters were the bestest xtr thing i’ve ever owned. just beautiful in all ways (inc use). just gone 1×10 though, so have got an XT shifter. very nice, but clearly not xtr.
    M970 cranks look great too, although the XTR only attachment method is annoying, as are the torx-30 bolt heads and the fact that mine kept coming loose… settled down now, and fitted my own crank bolts…

mmmmmm…

momo

I had 950 v-brake callipers on my onld bike before switching to discs, and they were very nice.

Purchased a m970 chainset a couple of weeks ago, so nice, just need the matching shifters now to replace my old 750 xt ones.

JonR
    Free Member

Ahhh first bit of XTR, mine is am m952? rear mech in xtr grey still on my hardtail. Never been anything but great for me.

phinbob

I remember getting an XT shark fin chainstay protector thingy. About the only XT stuff I ever owned until I splashed out on a rear mech 2 years ago.

foxyrider
    Free Member

New XTR crankset when I felt flush 2 years ago and 2 2nd hand shifter 2 years ago 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

xtr cables are up there with the most worth having bits of xtr.

mind you i have got meself some of the new xtr trail brakes and they are exactly what i have been after since disc brakes started being fitted to bikes.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Still have an XTR rear mech that has been on at least 10 bikes 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I put some old XTR V levers on my 9 year-old’s new bike this summer connected to Avid cable discs.

He always refused to change gear on his old bike so I built the new one singlespeed. Could he be the youngest ‘proper’ (26″+ wheel size) singlespeeder here?

wwaswas

My M960 chainset is my favourite bit of kit, really – such an organic shape.

It’s not got as scuffed as I was expecting either.

tops5
    Free Member

XTR beenie hat free with MBUK is as close as I’ve got 🙁

kudos100
    Free Member

XTR beenie hat free with MBUK is as close as I’ve got

Same here. You can really tell the difference between the xt and the xtr one…..

tops5
    Free Member

😀

mcboo
    Free Member

I couldnt get my gears to index properly, I figured the 6yr old XTR rear mech was the problem, swapped it for a new one. Didnt solve the problem, turned out it was the Ti frame was slightly bent! Luckily I kept the old one.

Also still have 6yr old XTR dual control shifters and brakes, still going strong, minimal maintainance.

XTR is good

tang
    Free Member

next year i celebrate 25 years of mtbing with not one piece of xtr but always shimano(bar suntour xcpro at one point), im going to treat myself to a xtr double chainset.

Andituk
    Free Member

XTR carbon fibre rear mech on my Giant as standard, everytime i go near a rock the replacement price flashes before my eyes 😆

HairyHarry
    Free Member

XTR chains last forever and not much more. Splashing out on XTR shifters was a good investment, fantastic. The rest is XT and all works just nicely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got the M960 chainset, nice, but a pain when it comes to replacing chain rings due to weird sizing.

Simon

XTR beenie hat free with MBUK is as close as I’ve got

Me too, keeps my head much warmer than an XT or SLX one would.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used to always build my bikes with a little bit of XTR somewhere on them (sometimes just cables though).

Quite a few of the current ones don’t though – one or two have rear mechs and only my Epic is covered in the stuff.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve not used anything less than XTR/X.0 except the odd XT cassette for 6 years 😳

radoggair
    Free Member

got an Orange E3 back in 1992/93 with full xtr groupset. It was beez neez.

Just now though not so good. Xtr shifter on my turner and thats it. Going for xtr race brakes, shifters, chainset, mechs, cassette and chain in feb/march next year in time for race season.

Cant wait

neninja
    Free Member

Just fitted some new XTR shifters (with XTR cable inner) – they are a revelation.

I thought they’d be a little bit better than the SLX shifters they replaced but they are a massive improvement. Shifting is so much lighter and has a significantly shorter throw so perfect for my short thumbs.

Wish I’d done it sooner

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m still running some 1993 XTR hubs….

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Mine: Brakes and levers too.
    You can still pick up middleburn chainrings – last well too.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

M952 rear mechs were great.

Got some of the new trail brakes with the daft fins, not tried them yet.

pitduck
    Free Member

front mech 😀

br
    Free Member

My drivechain is all XTR.
    But on my last XTR cassette – just can’t justify them anymore over XT.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Still remember my first XTR purchase, some 952 shifters, they were ace 🙂

All 970 XTR drivetrain on one bike, but not sure I’d spend that amount again…

mlke
    Free Member

I have XTR socks

mandog

druidh
    Free Member

Ah.

The poor people have aspirations…..

schmiken

I love XTR! Pedals, cranks and front mechs here. (Everything else is X.0…..)

Jeffus
    Free Member

XTR 970 cranks, shifters and front and rear carbon mechs , chain just replaced cassette with XT , don’t have the money for an XTR. 🙂

tommid
    Free Member

Mandog- What ring is that you are running????

martymac

got an old xtr rear mech, looks well scuffed, keeps on working tho . . .

NZCol

Ive just put full 2×10 xtr on my Tallboy. It’s lush.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘My first bit of xtr.’ is closed to new replies.